Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Agree!

Poor Mr Job's would turn in his grave if Apple let this particular one out the door.

What people need to understand, is that Apple doesn't care what Steve Jobs " would have done ". Steve Jobs is dead, he is no longer relevant to the company. Because well. he's DEAD.

They see this as a way to make tons of money. And if they think they can make tons of money with a smaller iPad, they will do it.

They're leaving the low-end, low-profit tablet market to other companies.

A 7inch tablet does not have to be a ' low end ' device. I would bet money there are people who are not interested in a normal iPad because of its size, but would be interested in a 7 inch iPad.

Apple is doing good in the tablet market, and another option for a tablet can only help them. Which is good, because who knows what will happen when Microsoft Brings out the surface, that thing is a friggen beast.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I'm sorry, but I just can't let this one go. The Mac mini is an outstanding Apple computer. I am on my second one now and absolutely love it. It basically gives me the performance and use of the other Macs but at half the cost. I can't imagine where you got the idea it is a pile of garbage. Do you have one? Not all of us are rich and can justify $1200+ for computers. Without my mini's I'd still be using Windows computers. Sheesh, I can't understand where people come up with the trash they post on these message boards.

For you, it might be. I'm not saying you shouldn't like your Mini because of my opinion, but it is my opinion. Sure, its a well made machine. But its what I refer to as a " dumpster computer ".

Why do I use the term " dumpster computer? ". Because its a computer that well lets be totally honest, unless you start dishing out cash, Performs horribly for what you pay for it, the base model is like 600 dollars, and performs worse than a 600 dollar Windows Laptop. i5? Ugh, 2 gigs of ram? Ugh? Can you even upgrade the newest generation Mini yourself? Ram wise? Because if not, your stuck with Apple prices, which is rape.

Same with the Graphics processor, total garbage for what your paying.

Its dumpster, because it can't be upgraded, so you just chuck it in the dumpster rather than upgrade it, it doesn't even come with an optical drive. Which I guess for some people doesn't matter, but I Have about 30,000 dollars of software I've accumulated over the years and years, and almost all of it is on a CD or DVD, I'd love to be able to use them without using an external drive.

But for me, what makes is truly a dumpster computer, is that it could be SO much better than what it is right now, if they just made a little bit thicker, just enough to use desktop components, make it easy to upgrade, ( Commodore USA Makes a mini ripoff that's almost the same size, and WAY more powerful, for about the same money ).

Its not that is a bad machine, its not. But its dumpster in my view because its needlessly small, there is NO reason to make a DESKTOP that small. It's not like you lug it around all day with you, it sits on a desk. And for me, if I only had 600 to spend, I'd buy a Windows tower, because I know it would be far more capable.

Just my opinion, dumpster. The iMac is far more capable, and actually takes up less desk space when you think about it.'

Its just my opinion though, don't take it personally. If your mini works out for you, great. I just wouldn't bother with one, unless I had a use for a form factor that small. Which I've yet to counter, ever.

Thomas P.

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
NewYork
Is this an official thread with official information? or is it just another rumor and speculation? Do we have official word on this from Apple?

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
You could very well be right and the iPhone 5 prototype design from last year turned out to be much ado about nothing. However the whole thing about the new iPhone design reminds me of this post by a member Anuba from 2010, when the upcoming iPhone 4 design was taking a lot of flak

The thing with that was that the iPhone 4, while different from the previous designs still had all the Apple design qualities (I liked it!) - the iPhone 5 leaked mock-up doesn't. Things aren't aligned correctly, the camera in the horizontal band at the top in particular. This is most likely a Far-Eastern mock-up and I'm having exactly the same alignment issues with our Chinese factory for some box artwork this morning! They've adjusted what I sent them so things like logos don't sit centrally in a black band but slightly off, it's just something they never seem to care about - Apple do.

This isn't a personal issue with Far-Eastern production, it's just one of those areas of design that doesn't seem to bother them, look at the Galaxy S3, the home button is an odd shape and is positioned off the horizontal centre, the Radii of the corners isn't even and doesn't sit with the screen. The iPhone 4/S rear camera matches the radius of the corner perfectly for example where the iPhone 5 mock-up doesn't. This is why I think it's a fake.

It's the security that Apple is pushing that makes me think that the small iPad isn't real, they haven't tried to shut anyone up (same as with the iPhone 5) so I think it's misdirection. I think the product itself would be fine and sell well, no issues with the idea itself for me.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Since Apple is clinging to these tiny iPhone displays, I'm very eager to get my hands on a thin & light 7" iPad.

Yes, I know there's a 4.0" iPhone on the way. Yet Apples pinched the sides down to the same rather feminine width as the 3.5" screen.

So instead of threatening to switch to Android as some do, I'm buying this new iPad immediately upon release. It's a very suitable compromise.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Apple could instantly make competitors' 7" tablets look like cheap toys by branding this thing as an iPod (maybe call it the iPod HD or something). Then all of the crappy 7" Android tablets will be going up against a flipping iPod (and, no doubt, getting creamed).
I can see no reason why changing the name of a device would impact its success much (assuming that simple and non-offensive names are used).

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
This isn't an iPad, it's the remote for Apple's new TV.

You do appreciate how little sense that makes, don't you? The iPad is essentially a blank slate (no pun intended) that can take whatever form its loaded apps allow. There are already iPad/iPhone remote apps that allow for broad customization to create the remote of your dreams. Apple can do all that in software and it makes no sense to create a uni-tasking tablet just for that purpose. If the chances of Apple coming out with a smaller tablet are 50/50 the chances of them coming out with a dedicated tablet remote are nil.

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
For you, it might be. I'm not saying you shouldn't like your Mini because of my opinion, but it is my opinion. Sure, its a well made machine. But its what I refer to as a " dumpster computer ".

Why do I use the term " dumpster computer? ". Because its a computer that well lets be totally honest, unless you start dishing out cash, Performs horribly for what you pay for it, the base model is like 600 dollars, and performs worse than a 600 dollar Windows Laptop. i5? Ugh, 2 gigs of ram? Ugh? Can you even upgrade the newest generation Mini yourself? Ram wise? Because if not, your stuck with Apple prices, which is rape.

Same with the Graphics processor, total garbage for what your paying.

Its dumpster, because it can't be upgraded, so you just chuck it in the dumpster rather than upgrade it, it doesn't even come with an optical drive. Which I guess for some people doesn't matter, but I Have about 30,000 dollars of software I've accumulated over the years and years, and almost all of it is on a CD or DVD, I'd love to be able to use them without using an external drive.

But for me, what makes is truly a dumpster computer, is that it could be SO much better than what it is right now, if they just made a little bit thicker, just enough to use desktop components, make it easy to upgrade, ( Commodore USA Makes a mini ripoff that's almost the same size, and WAY more powerful, for about the same money ).

Its not that is a bad machine, its not. But its dumpster in my view because its needlessly small, there is NO reason to make a DESKTOP that small. It's not like you lug it around all day with you, it sits on a desk. And for me, if I only had 600 to spend, I'd buy a Windows tower, because I know it would be far more capable.

Just my opinion, dumpster. The iMac is far more capable, and actually takes up less desk space when you think about it.'

Its just my opinion though, don't take it personally. If your mini works out for you, great. I just wouldn't bother with one, unless I had a use for a form factor that small. Which I've yet to counter, ever.

Yes you can upgrade the ram yourself in the mini, also can I access OSX without hacks on your 600$ commodore USA computer? No, I didn't think so. That right there is why the mini is better for some. No hacks, and you get OSX for a cheap price. If you are buying a mini, you are not interested in gaming at all. So why do you need unnecessary power? Its not a dumpster computer because you can still sell it off at a decent price after 3-4 years. Try doing that with any pc.

zObsidian

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
You do appreciate how little sense that makes, don't you? The iPad is essentially a blank slate (no pun intended) that can take whatever form its loaded apps allow. There are already iPad/iPhone remote apps that allow for broad customization to create the remote of your dreams. Apple can do all that in software and it makes no sense to create a uni-tasking tablet just for that purpose. If the chances of Apple coming out with a smaller tablet are 50/50 the chances of them coming out with a dedicated tablet remote are nil.

^ Zero sense of humour. Sarcasm police will be coming for you shortly.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
There will be NO iPad Mini.
Just stop posting fake info...
Apple is not a kind of company that pursues markets, it defines and creates markets.
iPad mini just doesn't make any sense.
After 2 years of posting "news" about it you should learn that it's not going to happen.
Get over it!

I don't see this happening, but if it happens so what, I still have my iPad (3rd Gen.), I still love the retina display and I still carry it to school and church, no big deal for me.:D

heh.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012

:cool: yes indeed. I wonder how those folk who thought Ipad mini is a silly idea felt now. It looks to be a certified blockbuster as the demand is out pacing supply. I would love to see the earning number and see if Apple will break out the Ipad 4 vs Ipad min sales number..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.