Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reuters reports on the growing number of Chinese vendors that have already begun taking orders for the "iPhone 5", despite the fact that Apple has made no announcement about the next-generation iPhone's specs or availability.
Sellers on Taobao, a unit of Alibaba Group, are accepting orders for the iPhone 5, in some cases asking for a deposit of 1,000 yuan ($160) for the new phone. One seller, "Dahai99888", who started accepting pre-orders this week, is asking for full payment upfront, at a cool 6,999 yuan ($1,100).

Taobao sellers that Reuters spoke with said they planned to buy the iPhone 5 in Hong Kong or the United States and then bring it to mainland China. Apple products are often available in Hong Kong before they are released on the mainland.
The report also points to a surge in the number of cases for the next-generation iPhone being sold through similar channels. But while case makers have sometimes possessed accurate advance information in the past such as with the iPad 2, they were less successful with their production of iPhone cases for a tapered form factor last year.

kitguru_iphone_5_comparison.jpg

iPhone 4S (left) and "iPhone 5" model (right)
Increasing activity surrounding the next-generation iPhone comes as KitGuru posts a number of photos of what it claims is the actual device. But while the overall form factor is consistent with previously-leaked photos and details, a number of aspects of the photos including a very rough appearance and a lack of a visible LCD display or opening for one in the front panel suggest that the item is simply a physical mockup based on circulating information.

kitguru_iphone_5_left_side.jpg

kitguru_iphone_5_right_side.jpg

kitguru_iphone_5_bottom.jpg

The source of the mockup is unknown, with KitGuru simply noting that it was spotted "in the Far East", and it may represent a case maker's model for advance production based on leaked and rumored details. Similar internal molds claimed to be for the next-generation iPhone and "iPad mini" surfaced earlier this week.

Article Link: Chinese Vendors Already Taking Orders for 'iPhone 5' as New Physical Mockup Photos Surface

Simon86

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
The FaceTime camera is in a different location on this mockup compared to the previous leaked parts.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Slow news day?

These mock-ups look horrible compared to the leaked parts a couple of weeks ago. Wondering what this has to do with preorders anyways. But, hey, I take preorders as well! Give me 120% of the expected retail price and I will order one for you when it comes out! :D $1100 doesn't soud too bad. I will get at least the base model for that and send it to you.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Although I doubt its legitimacy, this does give people a good look at what the phone might look like. I like it except for (as others have said) the headphone jack at the bottom. I much prefer it up top.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I so hope this is not the next iPhone, just because I want to see the third party accessory vendors scramble to get something to market when a completely different form factor is released. Is that evil?

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I hope Apple really doesn't put the headphone jack on the bottom.

i prefer it on the bottom. when i first got my iPod touch, i thought i would hate it, but now it seems like the obvious solution.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
It'll be interesting to see how this turns out - this little block of plastic looks like a slightly stretched 4s.

If this is right, Apple is still sticking with the antenna around the phone design started with the 4...Apple (and Steve in particular) loved giving all those folks, who said it was a bad design, the finger and it looks like Apple will continue with that design (and the finger, although that dog has been put to rest a long time ago).

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
I certainly hope this isn't a model for case manufacturers to base their designs on. I mean, it's not even straight for god's sake!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.