Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Japanese blog Mac Otakara, the next generation iPhone has already gone into production in China. Mac Otakara cites reliable Chinese sources for the information.

For reference, Mac Otakara also cited similar sources when they reported that the iPad 3 first went into production in January 2012. The lead time between production and launch for the iPad 3 was approximately two months with an official launch date of March 16th, 2012. That could suggest that we could see the new iPhone as early as September, though the production timelines for the iPad and iPhone may differ significantly.

Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal had previously reported that the iPhone 5 would begin production in June, and all signs have pointed to a September or October launch for the new iPhone.
1367258528.jpg
Leaked iPhone 5 parts have suggested Apple will be adopting a two-tone backing with a central metal panel. Mac Otakara reports that in the production models the back panel have a naked aluminum surface and a partially glass covered portion. They also note that a small hole that was seen between the lens and flash in the prototype parts is now absent.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Production Underway for an Expected Fall Launch

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Interesting. Still not sure how i feel on the two tone back. I expect it could look better when the finish product is released and we're not just relying on dodgy photos of prototype devices.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
September sounds good to me. I've been thinking they would go back to having the September event anyway. New iPods, iPhone, and a very small chance of a surprise iPad Mini? I must admit that after purchasing a Retina MacBook Pro, my wallet just isn't ready!

First world problems…lol.

Pivs

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Virginia
This design is growing on me. Hope they are indeed thinking an earlier launch. Still rocking the 3gs and I am definitely in need of an upgrade!

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Twi tone back sounds ugly too me. But who knows what Apple has up their sleeve. Expected the Fall launch.

Fidget08

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
My friend is friends with Tim. He said Tim told him it will come out this year. He's 100% right 60% of the time!

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Can we please stop calling it iPhone 5? It's the least sensible name possible for the 6th generation iPhone.

The New iPhone, iPhone 4G, and iPhone 6 all make more sense.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Should be good. I'm really interested in how they'll introduce the bigger screen and how it will affect developers.

I really think apps for the current iPhone will run fine though, without modification.

Excited ^-^

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
It is actually the 7th generation iPhone there was iPhone, 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S

It's the 6th. What is referred as the 2G is the original iPhone that came out in 2007. Some call it the 2G since it only used EDGE. The 3G came out in 2008, 3GS in 2009, 4 in 2010, and 4S 2011.

TheStoof

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I'm happy to hear that it may release in Sep/Oct because my contract isn't up until Dec 12. When that's up, I can comfortably go to the store and request that my 3GS be unlocked, so I can use it overseas when I go to Venezuela, and then get my iPhone 5. Holllleeer!

griffd

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
huh? Neither of you are correct. The 1st iPhone was just "The iPhone". The 2nd was the 3G. The 3G was for the network technology, not 3rd gen. 3GS was for SPEED, 4 was for 4th gen, and 4S was for Siri.

The new one will be the 6th generation. They will NOT call it the iPhone 5 or iPhone 6. It will be called The New iPhone (aka 6th gen)
iPhone 2G was the original.

scwinsett

Suspended
Apr 21, 2010
Denver
It's not an iphone 5

Good lord guys. This is getting so annoying. It's not an iPhone 5. It's the sixth generation iPhone. It will probably just be called the new iPhone. Why would it be iPhone 5? That's stupid. It's the sixth phone, running iOS 6.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
huh? Neither of you are correct. The 1st iPhone was just "The iPhone". The 2nd was the 3G. The 3G was for the network technology, not 3rd gen. 3GS was for SPEED, 4 was for 4th gen, and 4S was for Siri.

The new one will be the 6th generation. They will NOT call it the iPhone 5 or iPhone 6. It will be called The New iPhone (aka 6th gen)

I like how you showed how inconsistent Apple's naming convention is and then you confidently state that the iPhone will be called the New iPhone.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Can we please stop calling it iPhone 5? It's the least sensible name possible for the 6th generation iPhone.

The New iPhone, iPhone 4G, and iPhone 6 all make more sense.

Um, the 4 came out after the 3GS, and the 4 wasn't called the 5, so I'm pretty sure that if following their current pattern, the next iPhone will be called the 5.

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Crossing my fingers for september! Cause we all know that we're not getting one till october. Look at the Retina Macbook Pro 2-3 weeks. CROSS THOSE FINGERS LADYS!

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Tim Cook is the supply chain guy. He managed a two tier worldwide iPad3 rollout. I would expect a WORLDWIDE iPhone 5 rollout with massive release inventory to handle surge demand. Mid-October release.

On a pure supply chain basis this will be a thing of B-school studies for years.

And I was criticized for saying buy AAPL in July-August back in the dark days of April and May . . . .

Rocketman

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I refuse to believe that that atrocity is going to be the iPhone 5. I really hope it's just a red herring...

I'm expecting some new iPhone to come out this fall though, early upgrade anyone? lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.