Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Nbc

The logo for the app doesn't include any official Olympic icons only tourist icons . This must mean they are not official sponsors? I wonder if the Olympic committee have anything to say about how the TV rights are distributed without their consent? If they have their consent then they would use the official Olympic logo.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
The logo for the app doesn't include any official Olympic icons only tourist icons . This must mean they are not official sponsors? I wonder if the Olympic committee have anything to say about how the TV rights are distributed without their consent? If they have their consent then they would use the official Olympic logo.

NBC have the rights, and are able to use the official logo. Indeed, they paid more money for rights than any other broadcaster in the world in a multibillion dollar deal.

Dunno why they chose to use their own graphics.

dvwtwo

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
NBC have the rights, and are able to use the official logo. Indeed, they paid more money for rights than any other broadcaster in the world in a multibillion dollar deal.

Dunno why they chose to use their own graphics.

NBC always repackages and rebrands the Games to "own" it in their way (actually, same goes for nearly all broadcasters). They put their visual stamp on everything. Much less interesting, usually, and clunkier. But no big deal, really. The live video feeds will all be coming from OBS so you'll see the standard pleasant IOC graphics there instead of NBC's suped-up eye candy.

If you want to truly experience the look and feel of the Games and everything that comes with it, you have to be there in person. It really is an amazing experience.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
...The most exciting development in Olympics coverage this year is NBC's livestreaming of every event from London. The company plans to offer streaming on computers both on the NBCOlympics.com website...
If you can't AirPlay from the iOS app, perhaps you'll be able to AirPlay the web-stream through Mountain Lion? (Which is quite serviceable for this purpose...)

frojive

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Bbc

It looks like the BBC has an app as well. Don't know if it will take a subscription, but no Ipad support.

Love Juice

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
If you can't AirPlay from the iOS app, perhaps you'll be able to AirPlay the web-stream through Mountain Lion? (Which is quite serviceable for this purpose...)
Possibly, but only if you have an iMac, MBA or Mini from mid-2011, or a MBP from early 2011 which would exclude a large share of Mac users making the feature practically useless.

KamuiVII

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
Can't you use AirPlay mirror mode.

No if it is a custom player they can block the video. On the TNT Tv App, its a custom player also and when you try to mirror it it only does the audio with a black screen.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Well, that makes it useless.

Might have bought a $5-10 pass for the duration of the games. Their loss.

Perhaps this was done to appease cable/satellite/telco companies, but as a cord cutter myself, I would appreciate in-app purchase option as well.

It's not to appease the cable companies. NBC Universal, and all major media companies, operate on the money they make from a) selling their networks to cable/satellite/telco providers and b) advertising.

The idea is that if you pay for cable, you're funding NBC's coverage of the Olympics, which costs them millions of dollars. If you don't pay for cable, then you aren't funding anything, and therefore don't get access to the apps.

NBC is free to watch on TV, over the air, but Olympic coverage will also be on many other NBC-owned cable networks including NBC Sports, MSNBC, CNBC, and Bravo -- which require a cable subscription.

An in-app purchase option does not make up for a percentage of your cable bill going to NBC every single month.

It sounds greedy I know, and I'm SURE all of the top executives are grossly overpaid, but the majority of this money is funding all of the shows that you watch on TV (or steal online).

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
one (or two) complaints

It's Flash -- not the video plugin, but that app junk, you know? One thing that tees me off is that, when you want landscape, it always goes one way, which ends up putting the volume buttons on the BOTTOM. That means, if you put it in a holder or something, you're likely to start changing the volume without noticing it. It should be able to switch orientation if you want (or need) the volume buttons on TOP. It won't.

But NBC got to write one crappy app for all platforms. Maybe that's good enough for a three-week app, of course.

Aside from that, no real complaints. It's not quite working yet, since nothing's happening in the stadiums.

Oh, and I agree. No Airplay? Thanks, Comcast-owned NBC.

----------

I actually bought the MLB app early this year. I paid the $100 or so, so I could get video of "ALL" games. It wasn't too restrictive last year. But now, I've never been able to watch my home team on it! Never! Since Fox is the broadcaster, they broadcast every game, and so, apparently, every Dodger game is blocked, because they're all on Fox Sports West. Well, if I were HOME, I wouldn't be trying to catch a minute of the game at work. Since I can get every Dodger game on TV -- home or away -- then when I have access to my TV, I can turn that on. But MLB Baseball, which I watched games on last year, has become unusable except for radio -- but I paid for TV. Sure, I can watch Boston v. the Yankees, but I'm not interested in it very much. I want to see home teams. But I can't watch home, and I can't watch away games either. So when I just want to grab a look at how it's going, I get that annoying little map, and "it has been determined that" I'm a jerk, move along, I don't care how much you spent, a major broadcast tycoon trumps what you want. I think it was sold to me, in effect, fraudulently. I bought it for casual watching -- the World Series with SF I watched on the treadmill -- and I paid a bundle, and I'm not getting any of what I wanted.

Last edited:

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
It's Flash -- not the video plugin, but that app junk, you know? One thing that tees me off is that, when you want landscape, it always goes one way, which ends up putting the volume buttons on the BOTTOM. That means, if you put it in a holder or something, you're likely to start changing the volume without noticing it. It should be able to switch orientation if you want (or need) the volume buttons on TOP. It won't.

But NBC got to write one crappy app for all platforms. Maybe that's good enough for a three-week app, of course.

Aside from that, no real complaints. It's not quite working yet, since nothing's happening in the stadiums.

Oh, and I agree. No Airplay? Thanks, Comcast-owned NBC.

----------

I actually bought the MLB app early this year. I paid the $100 or so, so I could get video of "ALL" games. It wasn't too restrictive last year. But now, I've never been able to watch my home team on it! Never! Since Fox is the broadcaster, they broadcast every game, and so, apparently, every Dodger game is blocked, because they're all on Fox Sports West. Well, if I were HOME, I wouldn't be trying to catch a minute of the game at work. Since I can get every Dodger game on TV -- home or away -- then when I have access to my TV, I can turn that on. But MLB Baseball, which I watched games on last year, has become unusable except for radio -- but I paid for TV. Sure, I can watch Boston v. the Yankees, but I'm not interested in it very much. I want to see home teams. But I can't watch home, and I can't watch away games either. So when I just want to grab a look at how it's going, I get that annoying little map, and "it has been determined that" I'm a jerk, move along, I don't care how much you spent, a major broadcast tycoon trumps what you want. I think it was sold to me, in effect, fraudulently. I bought it for casual watching -- the World Series with SF I watched on the treadmill -- and I paid a bundle, and I'm not getting any of what I wanted.

for mlb.tv just use unblock-us.com . its 5 bucks a month but you can watch every game and its simple to set up on OS X and on the AppleTV

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

The 5 circles don't count?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Lame!!

"Viewers do need to verify that they subscribe to a cable, satellite or telco video tier that includes CNBC and MSNBC."

1) this absolutely needs to be stated under "Requirements" for the app (as all apps that require something other than the app to use it as intended)

2) this is LAME as most people can still get NBC free with an antenna.

:mad:

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Perhaps this was done to appease cable/satellite/telco companies, but as a cord cutter myself, I would appreciate in-app purchase option as well.

It's done to appease the content owners (NBC). Because when they sell their service through a cable provider, they're selling a bunch of other channels with it, rather than a la carte.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
The content dinosaurs continue not to get it. I'd be happy to pay a pass fee for the Games, as I don't use cable, but they'd rather not take my money.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
The content dinosaurs continue not to get it. I'd be happy to pay a pass fee for the Games, as I don't use cable, but they'd rather not take my money.

What don't they "get"? They make a lot more money the established way than they would do selling you a pass.

Much more.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Performance of this Adobe Air application is poor on my 64Gb iPad 3rd Gen running iOS6 beta 3

Touch scrolling is choppy

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
What don't they "get"? They make a lot more money the established way than they would do selling you a pass.

Much more.

What are you talking about? They don't make any money from me right now. They WOULD make money from me if they sold a pass, but they choose to throw away that potential revenue instead.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
What are you talking about? They don't make any money from me right now. They WOULD make money from me if they sold a pass, but they choose to throw away that potential revenue instead.

I hate to break this to you, but if they make ten bucks from you and lose a million dollars of exclusivity bonus from the cable company as a result, that has not actually made them money. That has lost them $999,990 dollars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.