Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I have the same problem. I wouldn't mind dropping all my @me addresses for @iCloud addresses instead.

Your @me.com address will continue to work. Anybody sending an email to you using that address will arrive in your Inbox.

You could configure your email client to use @icloud.com address instead.

This transition is the same as when .Mac switched to MobileMe and they introduced @me.com addresses. All @mac.com addresses continued to work, and is what I've used for the past 10+ years.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
I wonder if I can forward iCloud emails to my google email?

Then this would be appealing to me ....

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Did I miss something, if you have a @me.com will your name automatically be transferred to iCloud.com extension? Basically, do we need to do anything?

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I'm so confused as to what this means. Will I be able to use my @me after all this or will it have to transition to @icloud. Obviously Apple wants everything to be @icloud for the visibility. Wow, MobileMe, what a failure.

doaitse

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
proper email adresses

You should never take an email address that:

-contains trademark from the company that happens to serve your email
(in the future you may want to buy a machine from another brand)
- contains the name of your spouse (you may divorce)
- contains the brand of your car (your car may break down)
- your physical address (you may move)
- etc.

It is as simple as that!

Doaitse

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Gotta say, I'm shocked at the number of people who still like @mac.com.

@mac was what prevented me from using Apple mail! I only switched to it when they made it @me.

To me @mac feels like some silly dress-up game, like, "look at me, I look like I work for Apple!" I mean, I like Star Trek but I wouldn't want to have name@Starfleet.com for my main email. It just seems goofy.

@mac feels the same to me. But I guess I'm in the minority here.

(And yes, @icloud is horrible too...it'd be like if gmail was actually name@googlemail.com. Ugh)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i can barely use my iCloud email for anything important as it is because "me.com" gets always filtered as spam (mostly by gmail i noticed) which sucks because i'd love to use it more frequently

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Great! But when do we get the option to merge .mac and .me IDs with an iCloud account?

Yeah... I have like 10 Apple accounts.

me.com is better because it's short and looks good. One of the main reasons I prefer AOL mail over GMAIL is because of the @aol.com and @aim.com addresses, which look better than @gmail.com (and you get two).

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
To me @mac feels like some silly dress-up game, like, "look at me, I look like I work for Apple!" I mean, I like Star Trek but I wouldn't want to have name@Starfleet.com for my main email. It just seems goofy.

@mac feels the same to me. But I guess I'm in the minority here.

(And yes, @icloud is horrible too...it'd be like if gmail was actually name@googlemail.com. Ugh)

I'd want @starfleet.com or @spock.com!

And yes, @icloud.com looks horrible.

----------

Apple applied for the .apple as a domain with ICANN.

Maybe we'll have .apple mails one day soon.

I call making the "apple@apple.apple" address!

StudioGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
5 @mac.com email aliases,
5 @me.com email aliases,
now
5 more @icloud.com email aliases

#toomanyaliases!

Agreed -- precisely why I haven't used any of these new email domains yet. Guess I'm missing out on part of the cloud, but maintaining one email, my verizon.net address, is more important than confusion.

OT - even using iDevice backup on the cloud put me "almost full" immediately. Just haven't seen the purpose yet, expect for those background/repurchase downloads.

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
There's 6 pages so sorry if someone said this, but Ill be seriously pi**ed off if I lose my @me.com address, how am i supposed to redirect all that mail!?!

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
I've never had any Mac email addresses, except for 10 minutes ago when I activated my mail in iCloud (which generated a .me account). I think if they wanted to have a solid name they should've just gone with @apple.com. After all it is them, it's not gonna change in three years when they get a new web service, and it ties in with their overall brand.

el3ktro

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2008
I'm so confused as to what this means. Will I be able to use my @me after all this or will it have to transition to @icloud. Obviously Apple wants everything to be @icloud for the visibility. Wow, MobileMe, what a failure.

If you sign up to iCloud as a new user, you'll get an @icloud.com address.

If you currently have a @me.com address, you'll also have a @icloud.com address in the future. Mails to your @me.com and your corresponding @icloud.com address will go to the same inbox.

That's it.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I have never seen so many people with so many issues with a free service.

Coupons must really make you all kinds of crazy.

cargath

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
Can we at least use our iCloud adress as our Apple IDs primary email then? It never worked with the new @me.com i got, so i always had to have an additional throw-away adress, which is pretty annoying.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Another day, another email domain from Apple.

I already have my .mac and .me addresses and five aliases I claimed at .me when you could still find humorous ones like dontlook@me.com (not mine, but several like that). I give out the various addresses depending on how I feel at the moment. Weird, but kind of fun. Not sure if I'll ever feel like giving out @icloud.com though.

iOSJake

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
I currently have an @me.com address. As far as I know, I don't have access to the iOS 6 Beta 6 program at this time. How can I make sure I get the same email prefix I currently have when I am transitioned to iCloud.com?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.