Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayBrennan

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
I too am getting the same behaviour when converting a bluray MKV file with build 0.9.7, this time its on a x64 Windows PC. Audio runs at normal speed, video appears to run extremely fast.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I too am getting the same behaviour when converting a bluray MKV file with build 0.9.7, this time its on a x64 Windows PC. Audio runs at normal speed, video appears to run extremely fast.

without a paste binned activity log from the encode, I could not hazard to guess what the issue is.

Note to the OP ... both of these posts are off topic ... Maybe you guys having issues could post it on the handbrake forums ?

Cobra611

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Beacon, NY
Like I mentioned in my earlier post, my HB has stopped working completely shortly after having the ATV3 preset available. I even set it up to run High Profile and Normal and it's still not working. It will process the whole movie but I cannot get it into iTunes. When I highlight the finished file in the folder, it will show the size of the file and that's it. All the others will show much more information, not just the file size. I'm sorry to keep bringing this up, but this problem hit out of the blue, and it's frustrating me to no end! I'm been running 'round the clock for a month now, and have crashing to a halt.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Like I mentioned in my earlier post, my HB has stopped working completely shortly after having the ATV3 preset available. I even set it up to run High Profile and Normal and it's still not working. It will process the whole movie but I cannot get it into iTunes. When I highlight the finished file in the folder, it will show the size of the file and that's it. All the others will show much more information, not just the file size. I'm sorry to keep bringing this up, but this problem hit out of the blue, and it's frustrating me to no end! I'm been running 'round the clock for a month now, and have crashing to a halt.
I think the HB developers on the HB forum can be of help and it would be a more appropriate place to troubleshoot HB than the aTV forum.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks, I'll do that. Mind pointing me in the right direction (link)?

https://forum.handbrake.fr/

You will be required to provide an activity log before any help will be provided. There are instructions on how to generate the activity log in the red head at the top of each forum area. Provide them with that and they are very helpful and can resolve most problems.

Update: See my response to you in the other thread you are posting your problem on.

Last edited:

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
without a paste binned activity log from the encode, I could not hazard to guess what the issue is.

Note to the OP ... both of these posts are off topic ... Maybe you guys having issues could post it on the handbrake forums ?

The OP says that Handbrake now has an Apple TV 3 preset. The assumption is that the preset works and that is why this is news worthy since it might attract people to using the new build. Well, given the reports that suggest the preset isn't working properly, I think that's pretty relevant to the topic under discussion. It's to say: "nope no real ATV 3 preset yet in Handbrake, stay tuned".

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
The OP says that Handbrake now has an Apple TV 3 preset. The assumption is that the preset works and that is why this is news worthy since it might attract people to using the new build. Well, given the reports that suggest the preset isn't working properly, I think that's pretty relevant to the topic under discussion. It's to say: "nope no real ATV 3 preset yet in Handbrake, stay tuned".

The issue is not with the preset, the issue is with the 0.9.7 release. It's buggy. Nothing wrong with letting people know HB is having a problem but it really should be a new thread and not a thread discussing presets. Also, troubleshooting HB issues is better handled in the HB forum where you will submit an activity log and they can truly analyze where your problem is coming from. JMO

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Bugs are fixed, yes it was a buggy release which is a bummer when it was supposed to be a bug fix release for 0.9.6 . not sure when the new release will be posted yet. Sorry for the confusion and issues. fwiw the issue was not cause by the preset per se. that is unchanged. it was some internal issues with pfr and chapters.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
The issue is not with the preset, the issue is with the 0.9.7 release. It's buggy. Nothing wrong with letting people know HB is having a problem but it really should be a new thread and not a thread discussing presets. Also, troubleshooting HB issues is better handled in the HB forum where you will submit an activity log and they can truly analyze where your problem is coming from. JMO

I agree expecting to get a fix here is far less sensible than reporting it to the Handbrake forums, but as I said, I only reported the problem here so people know there is an issue. Whether it's the 0.9.7 release or the preset I don't know. All I know is the High-Profile preset worked fine but the ATV 3 preset didn't work.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
I agree expecting to get a fix here is far less sensible than reporting it to the Handbrake forums, but as I said, I only reported the problem here so people know there is an issue. Whether it's the 0.9.7 release or the preset I don't know. All I know is the High-Profile preset worked fine but the ATV 3 preset didn't work.

I gotta say-- I appreciated you reporting the issue yesterday. I was about to use 9.7, so it saved me from having to encode a file again.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Its funny after six years with the project (from 0.7.1 til now) we never released less than a year apart. 0.9.6 - 0.9.8 suddenly happens within one year. Go figure ;)

scl23enn4m3

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
Does anyone have the CLI string for this preset? I have a few programs using the CLI that I'd like to update to the Apple TV 3.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I tested just one movie (which is never a good sample size) so far and the file size difference is more than 1GB. This was high profile, decomb default vs. new :apple:TV3 preset with no tweaks. The movie is 1hr 46min long. Here's a couple of key differences I notice in the render (high profile preset (left) vs :apple:TV3 (right))...

• File Size: 5.18GB : 4.21GB
  • Datarate: 5833 : 4629
  • Size: 1925 X 1040 : 1918 X 1036
Looking at individual frames in the film head-to-head, I can't see any difference. I wonder if I am actually getting additional detail I could see on close inspection with high profile or if the new preset basically makes high profile overkill. I'm much more concerned with maximizing quality (while still running it through Handbrake) rather than file size, but I also don't want to waste storage if I'm keeping a bunch of bits I'll never see.

Update: tried another shorter film. This time, the results flipped...

• File Size: 1.72GB : 1.88GB
  • Datarate: 8580 : 9420
  • Size: 1906 X 1072 : 1920 X 1080
Again 2 is not a good sample size either, but the implication is that results will vary.

Last edited:

Slash366

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
At the start of this thread it makes mention of a bug within the atv3 preset around anamorphic and loose mod 2 / strict. Has this now been fixed in the available .98 release?

great programme many thanks.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
At the start of this thread it makes mention of a bug within the atv3 preset around anamorphic and loose mod 2 / strict. Has this now been fixed in the available .98 release?

No, but realize it is a corner case and depends on the cropping etc. I would still use it. That said you can always pick the AppleTV 3 preset and switch loose anamorphic to strict and encode away. That said its a about 2 pixels when it does rear its ugly head so I am not sure where you want to draw the line.

But, no the bug is not fixed in 0.9.8.

Slash366

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
Ok many thanks for the response. I guess i'm still a little unsure about the difference (i've read the beginning of the thread many times!) from what i can gather strict will be removed as soon as loose mod 2 works properly because they'll be the same. If i have understood that correct then why not just stick with strict? I'm sure its not that obvious and i'm clearly missing something.

I guess i'm trying to work out what may be lost by going with one or the other!

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I tested just one movie (which is never a good sample size) so far and the file size difference is more than 1GB.

Just to add on to what you've done. I used Handbrake in the past to do a few 1080p rips and they took 8 to 10 hours to run and produced output of about 10GB each. Note, I started with the High Profile and tweaked it down a bit for the ATV3.

Yesterday I ran "Puss in Boots" through it (BluRay source). I started with the ATV3 setting, set the RF to 18 and let it run from there. The output was about 5GB and it only took 3 to 4 hours to run. Not only did it produce a much smaller file, but it took about 1/3 the time. Quality wise I didn't notice any difference.

To me, looks good already.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Just to add on to what you've done. I used Handbrake in the past to do a few 1080p rips and they took 8 to 10 hours to run and produced output of about 10GB each. Note, I started with the High Profile and tweaked it down a bit for the ATV3.

Yesterday I ran "Puss in Boots" through it (BluRay source). I started with the ATV3 setting, set the RF to 18 and let it run from there. The output was about 5GB and it only took 3 to 4 hours to run. Not only did it produce a much smaller file, but it took about 1/3 the time. Quality wise I didn't notice any difference.

To me, looks good already.
A little confused, I thought a lower RF (higher quality setting) should result in a larger file size?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
mic j, you are correct. However, he's not really doing what I did (I think). Instead, he's just reporting what running it through the new preset with RF turned down to 18 yielded. I don't think he's saying that he also ran it through high profile (to get one of those 10GB renders).

Cylon Glitch, send it through again with high profile and RF turned down to 18 and see what that yields. That would be more like what I've been doing (except I've not been pulling the RF down that low... which is asking Handbrake to try to preserve even more detail. Note that those close to Handbrake have recommended RF20 with maybe 19 for the fine quality sticklers. They've said much below that is overkill).

Also, animation can look great even with the old 720p :apple:TV profile. I think it's just the nature of rendered animation vs. film. Try the same test on non-animation film and see what that yields. For example, if those old renders you reference were RF 18 high profile yielding 10GB files, try one of those same films with the :apple:TV3 profile at RF18. I continue to get mixed results in terms of file sizes (sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller), but the (still) picture quality looks excellent both ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.