Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks. Guess it's the length + grain. Movie was Sound of Music by the way. Exceptional transfer from 70mm film. Just upgraded from my 2007 MBP to a retina MPB. Encode was 4hrs 20min @ 16.8 fps avg - not too bad. God knows how long it would have taken on my old machine.

Well, if you think about it...if you take a grainy movie and tell HB to reproduce it with as close to source quality as possible, it's going to see every speck of grain as something in the movie and process the information from it. Lot's of grain, lots of information to process. There are options to smooth the grain to your liking, but you have to get the settings just right to not see artifacts of the smoothing process...and sometimes it's just not possible to get it artifact free.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Well, if you think about it...if you take a grainy movie and tell HB to reproduce it with as close to source quality as possible, it's going to see every speck of grain as something in the movie and process the information from it. Lot's of grain, lots of information to process. There are options to smooth the grain to your liking, but you have to get the settings just right to not see artifacts of the smoothing process...and sometimes it's just not possible to get it artifact free.

Correct, this would typically be the denoise filter in picture settings. However, *if* someone decides to use it use if very judiciously as it can make the movie look almost like plastic if you use the higher settings. Personally I am not a fan of it but it can definitely reduce files sizes as it removes the "noise" or grain before the frame hits the encoder.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Preset defaulting to 720p

I have had 2 BR 1080p movies that are defaulting to 720p using the aTV 3 preset (v0.9.8 and and a recent nightly build 4877). Selecting anamorphic strict instead of loose corrects the problem. Interestingly, if "loose" is reselected it does not go back to 720p but stays 1080p.

So before starting your transcode, check the bottom of the video tab and make sure you are getting the correct resolution.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
The ball's started rolling. :)

This is a great step forward. :D

0.9.8 should have it in all ui's.

Now that said .. it was tested by devs to *some* extent (namely me) but beware that using its loose anamorphic mod 2 the bug may be there. Personally I still recommend using Strict Anamorphic .... with the rest of the preset the same until the loose ana bug is worked out. Design by commitee is not always the easiest.

YMMV.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
0.9.8 should have it in all ui's.

Now that said .. it was tested by devs to *some* extent (namely me) but beware that using its loose anamorphic mod 2 the bug may be there. Personally I still recommend using Strict Anamorphic .... with the rest of the preset the same until the loose ana bug is worked out. Design by commitee is not always the easiest.

YMMV.

By "bug" are you referring to the default to 720p that I experienced?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
By "bug" are you referring to the default to 720p that I experienced?

yes. but realize its only going to happen on certain sources and it appears with certain autocrops.

Again, its a caveat. And again for now I recommend using "strict ana" for now. I am sorry I cannot tell you more since we are currently "bug hunting".

In my extensive testing strict anamorphic never fails. For now I suggest you use that. Its what I use ... for now.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
yes. but realize its only going to happen on certain sources and it appears with certain autocrops.

Again, its a caveat. And again for now I recommend using "strict ana" for now. I am sorry I cannot tell you more since we are currently "bug hunting".

In my extensive testing strict anamorphic never fails. For now I suggest you use that. Its what I use ... for now.
I'll go back to it. Thank you for the guidance. I tried posting at the HB forum, but kind of got "brushed off". Would be nice if they would acknowledge the bug.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I'll go back to it. Thank you for the guidance. I tried posting at the HB forum, but kind of got "brushed off". Would be nice if they would acknowledge the bug.

Well ... the forums are good for a fair bit of advice. However, "they" probably does not include "me" ;)

I don't spend too much time there and this is a corner case in the bigger hb picture (which of course means that unless it affects you .. its not a big deal).

Use strict ... for now. will advise once its fixed. Sorry.

ishesale

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
I just got ATV 3, I'm trying to convert my MKV 1080 files using preset ATV3 - when playing it with ATV3 it seems like it loading (if I fast forward then it'll play) and stuck from time to time.

Is this bcoz huge file size streaming on WiFi or the file I convert had an issue?

Dkrogh

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2009
For people with different Macs streaming to the same ATV, do you notice performance variations depending on the mac's 'power'

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I just got ATV 3, I'm trying to convert my MKV 1080 files using preset ATV3 - when playing it with ATV3 it seems like it loading (if I fast forward then it'll play) and stuck from time to time.

Is this bcoz huge file size streaming on WiFi or the file I convert had an issue?

Could be either or both. Not really enough information to diagnose. But I always use Web Optimize which is not part of the standard aTV3 preset. It is particularly helpful with streaming BR files. I would try a re-rip with that first, then look into other options if that does not fix the problem.

synapse46

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
First download the HB Nightly Build mentioned here and use the new aTV 3 preset for highest quality/smallest file size. I also suggest selecting "Web Optimize". It doesn't hurt anything and my experience has been faster loading on the aTV when using it. You're really not gaining much of anything going lower than 20, maybe 19 if you're eyes are really good. Finally, if you suspect forced subtitles in a BR, select "Foreign Audio Search" on the Subtitles tab. Make sure "Forced Only" and "Burned In" are checked. You might want to do this every time, even if you don't suspect forced subtitles. Bummer to have to retranscode later because you found out the movie actually had forced subs that you didn't know about. You will pay the price of a few minutes additional transcoding time as it scans your file for forced subtitles.

With these settings, the quality has been excellent and the file sizes for a 2 hour BR are around 5GB (of course that will vary depending upon your source).

Sorry about being off topic but I have a question regarding subtitles with cli(used with an auto-loader). I have been using --subtitle-forced scan for subtitles, but the quoted post suggests I should also be using --subtitle-burn which takes a <number> argument so i'm not sure how to use it, or is "scan" an acceptable argument. If so, then I would be using "--native-language eng --subtitle-forced scan --subtitle-burn scan" is that the correct way to pickup subtitles?

Thanks
Jason

dante.martins

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
optimal setup for Itunes atv3

Can you guys suggest which will be the best setup on hb to import 720p and 1080p? I mean I'm not worried about space the main objective is the final quality.
My intention is to have the video as best as possible comparing with the original dvd.

Questions?
1.should I use constante quality or fix a average bit rate?
2. 2-pass checked or not?
3. on the advanced tab there are several other configuration that varies accordingly with the preset. Should I change any of it?
4. about the subtitle I'm downloading from .srt from opensubtitles.org what should be the enconding when adding the srt file to subtitle tab? ISO-8859-1? or other?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Can you guys suggest which will be the best setup on hb to import 720p and 1080p? I mean I'm not worried about space the main objective is the final quality.
My intention is to have the video as best as possible comparing with the original dvd.

Questions?
1.should I use constante quality or fix a average bit rate?
2. 2-pass checked or not?
3. on the advanced tab there are several other configuration that varies accordingly with the preset. Should I change any of it?
4. about the subtitle I'm downloading from .srt from opensubtitles.org what should be the enconding when adding the srt file to subtitle tab? ISO-8859-1? or other?
You don't mention whether you are wanting to end up with mp4 or mkv. Handbrake does both and you have different options based on what you want your final file type to be.

dante.martins

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
optimal setup for Itunes atv3

You don't mention whether you are wanting to end up with mp4 or mkv. Handbrake does both and you have different options based on what you want your final file type to be.

I'd like to end up with m4v to be able to use from Itunes and ATV3.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I'd like to end up with m4v to be able to use from Itunes and ATV3.
Use the aTV 3 preset. Set picture to anamorphic strict. Check Web Optimize. Save this as a preset (make it default if you wish). It's a very high quality setting optimized for wifi streaming, but be prepared to invest a fair amount of time. Transcoding can be slow and is highly CPU power dependent. aTV3 preset is basically: highest quality, smallest file, slowest transcode. No need to play with any other aspects of HB.

I like to add srt files and metadata using Subler. Some downloaded subtitle files can have sync issues. With Subler, you just add the srt track, save, check sync with something like VLC. If the sync is off, measure the amount it is off, go back into Subler, set the offset setting to the needed value and save. Check again. Saving with Subler is fast.

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
California
Use the aTV 3 preset. Set picture to anamorphic strict. Check Web Optimize. Save this as a preset (make it default if you wish). It's a very high quality setting optimized for wifi streaming, but be prepared to invest a fair amount of time. Transcoding can be slow and is highly CPU power dependent. aTV3 preset is basically: highest quality, smallest file, slowest transcode. No need to play with any other aspects of HB.

I like to add srt files and metadata using Subler. Some downloaded subtitle files can have sync issues. With Subler, you just add the srt track, save, check sync with something like VLC. If the sync is off, measure the amount it is off, go back into Subler, set the offset setting to the needed value and save. Check again. Saving with Subler is fast.

Question to follow up on this...

I've ripped some DVDs of a television show from the 70's using MakeMKV and am now encoding em using HB AppleTV 3 preset. Original audio isn't 5.1 or anything so I changed bitrate to 128, and set anamorphic to 'strict.'

Now, since this is an older show and I'm trying keep file size at a minimum, would it make sense to drop the RF to 21, 22, or maybe more? Not many of these posts have dealt with the RF setting and its effect on size/quality.

dante.martins

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012

Thanks a lot!
It worked well. I also use Subler for metadata editing. it's very good. I also tried to use 2 pass, which have increased a little the quality and the file size. :), but it's all right.

I'm having some problems to RIP Disney DVD (ratatouille) it's hangs on chapter 11. Look to be the protection issue. To confirm I have used Wondershare DVD ripper and it worked just well with the same DVD.

This is NOT the issue with the 99 titles. Do I need to download any additional library? I've VLC 2.0.3 already installed.

Khaosx

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
fwiw, current nightly has a decomb speedup. so since decomb is on in the atv3 preset you might notice the speed bump. I do.

Here are the details from the commit. https://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/4919

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have noticed when using the nightlies that the CLI presets do not show the decomb parameter when listing with a -z. I do all of my conversions with shell scripts and Hazel. Just wondering if I need to put the decomb in my script line, or if it's somehow in there if I tell the command line to just use AppleTV 3.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012

I've ripped some DVDs of a television show from the 70's using MakeMKV and am now encoding em using HB AppleTV 3 preset. Original audio isn't 5.1 or anything so I changed bitrate to 128, and set anamorphic to 'strict.'

Now, since this is an older show and I'm trying keep file size at a minimum, would it make sense to drop the RF to 21, 22, or maybe more? Not many of these posts have dealt with the RF setting and its effect on size/quality.

All that RF slider does in control how big of a file HB creates after it decompresses the DVD. HB first decompresses the DVD inmage from disk, then compresses and transcodes that image into MP4/MKV. If you leave the RF slider at default settings, HB will create a small file. Do you understand? So, you have to decide how big of a file you want. Do you want a big 9 gig MP4 or a small 1-2 gig MP4. Some of them old 70's TV shows are in poor quality video, so I would just leave the RF slider at default. With new DVD's and BD's (if you have the space) I would move the RF slider to 0. This would make you a nice uncompressed MP4 image.

----------

I just realized that you are starting from an already made MKV. So, you are already starting from a compressed file. If I were you, I would start from scratch and re-encode those TV shows into another better image.

bwfc0907

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Bolton, UK
I want to turn my 1080p MKV files to m4v to use on my Apple TV 3. Want quality picture. Do I just use the default Apple TV 3 settings from the nightly build, or is it worth any other settings being changed.

Khaosx

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
I want to turn my 1080p MKV files to m4v to use on my Apple TV 3. Want quality picture. Do I just use the default Apple TV 3 settings from the nightly build, or is it worth any other settings being changed.

Unless you feel a burning need to make everything as exactly perfect as it can be, or you want subtitles, there is no reason to do anything other than use the AppleTV 3 preset. It will do a great job for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.