Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
I can't help but think it's about the minutes.
If you FaceTime everyone instead of calling you're using Data alright, that your'e paying for, but you're also NOT using any minutes...so you could drop your minutes plan down to a minimum, bump up your data, and end up cheaper possibly.

ATT already losing revenue on texting with iMessage.

I don't know why they or someone doesn't just lead the pack and provide a Data-Only plan already...it's not like Voice or SMS are something special any more.

iMessage certainly hit AT&T where it hurts w/r/t texting plans. And you may be correct that this is a knee-jerk, preemptive reaction to FT digging into voice minutes. However, it seems as if voice plans are on the verge of becoming unlimited across the board for smart phone plans. So it really shouldn't matter in the long run.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Paying for tethering/hotspot and FaceTime are simply consumer abuse, pure and simple. Aside from grandfathered unlimited accounts, which can be restricted, there is simply no justification for requiring users to pay fees for features that will encourage users to consume more data and pay overage fee.

laff555

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
No one will use facetime anymore onces this comes into play. skype is free over 3G. If they start doing this, whats to say they won't charge me for every iMessage.

dave8209

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
Providence, RI
It doesn't work even with the 5GB AT&T data plan?

:) my pictures on the left
I hope AT&T doesn't take any other features in iOS 6 from us.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Updated a few hours ago, just saw this post and got upset.

Then I tried a Facetime over "4G" and it worked just fine; but I had already activated Facetime over cellular in a previous dev build so I guess it carried over and the ATT block won't apply?

iPhone 4S, Unlimited Data, iOS6 Beta 3 in Utah.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I can't help but think it's about the minutes.
If you FaceTime everyone instead of calling you're using Data alright, that your'e paying for, but you're also NOT using any minutes...so you could drop your minutes plan down to a minimum, bump up your data, and end up cheaper possibly.

AT&T charges $10 per GB, which is good for about 650 minutes of FaceTime calls. In contrast, AT&T's $60 individual adds mere 450 minutes over $40 plan and $70 family plan mere 150 minutes over $60 plan. Apple can offer voice only FaceTime calls in the future, which would only devalue AT&T's premium plans even further.

neo666

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
I had it on on beta 2 and can still use it. I don't want to lose it so I'm gonna keep it as long as I can. AT&T unlimited : /

duddy

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
This is why I love Verizon's new plans. It's like they are saying, "Pick how many gigs you want and use it however you like, we don't care."

It's how any carrier SHOULD handle it any way considering they are capping you.

But I have a theory, perhaps the people that are receiving this message probably still have unlimited data plans.

I'm on an AT&T capped plan and have not received this message after 6 4G FaceTime calls. (I'm on Beta 3)

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Is the AT&T network THAT bad? I mean even with LTE that it can't handle a small video chat over cellular?

Sounds like a third rate network.

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
Yep and if ATT thinks I'm paying extra they can kiss my ass. I hope to god T-MO gets the iPhone this year. I'll take my 4 iPhone family somewhere else. I have not had any issues with ATT service wise, but this will push me to another carrier.

Can't wait I'll leave AT&T's ass !

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001

The problem with not having a down-vote button is that it rewards commenters for taking simplistic, or extreme positions. For example, few will bother to read a long, well reasoned argument, but a simple statement like "this sucks!" will get you an up vote from the 1/2 that agrees with you. And equally "this is the greatest thing ever!" will get you the same.

So here's my statement:

Not having a down vote button is the worst thing ever! It's worse than Stalin!

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Is the AT&T network THAT bad? I mean even with LTE that it can't handle a small video chat over cellular?

Sounds like a third rate network.
No, no, AT&T's network isn't *that* bad. Well, at least usually not.

Well, at least when the network has a very light load.

They do allow third-party video conferencing services like Skype, fring, Tango, etc. over 3G cellular data connections.

That said, it's not like any American mobile operator runs a decent network. Even a country like Sweden -- which has a very similar population density to the USA -- has way better cellular service.

Let's not even begin to discuss countries like Japan or South Korea...

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
I will most likely be switching to Verizon when 4G LTE iPhone 5 is out. AT&T doesn't have 4G LTE in Seattle yet and won't at the time of the iPhone 5 release. This is just ANOTHER reason in a long list that I will switch.

I have been an AT&T Wireless -> Cingular -> AT&T customer for over 8 years. Time to put an end to this madness.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Saw this coming

Typical, I saw this coming the second the keynote came out for iOS 6

Any way that AT&T can dig its hands into customers pockets it will. It's like people haven't been using Skype to video chat all along.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
This is why I love Verizon's new plans. It's like they are saying, "Pick how many gigs you want and use it however you like, we don't care."

It's how any carrier SHOULD handle it any way considering they are capping you.

But I have a theory, perhaps the people that are receiving this message probably still have unlimited data plans.

I'm on an AT&T capped plan and have not received this message after 6 4G FaceTime calls. (I'm on Beta 3)

Verizon does this but for many, the new plans cost more. I'm sure AT&T would happily start offering the more expensive plans with all these features built in but the same people here will be complaining how the new plans are a rip and they won't switch. At the end of the day, everyone will have to pay more and expect less data.

castlema

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2003
it's 2012, why are american carriers so behind the rest of the world?

A naked lust for profit that would shame a Ferengi. Why do they do this? Because they can. They know that while people may complain they will never stop using their smartphones no matter how expensive it gets.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
isnt that double billing? Is that what I'm reading?

Paying for data and facetime/skyping which is data based is double billing. **** you AT&T. Someone gonna take you to court I hope. Thats like paying for facetime on top on my home internet.

castlema

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2003
Paying for tethering/hotspot and FaceTime are simply consumer abuse, pure and simple. Aside from grandfathered unlimited accounts, which can be restricted, there is simply no justification for requiring users to pay fees for features that will encourage users to consume more data and pay overage fee.

Sure there is: this is America, that which makes profit is by definition good. That which makes more profit is even better.

NeroAZ

Suspended
Jun 23, 2009
Phoenx, AZ
I bought my iPhone 4, the day it was available, so my contract was up with ATT June 24th, and i'm currently month to month, and they unlocked it for me.

The more **** like this that I see about ATT it just disgusts me. I've been very happy with verizon on my iPad 3rd gen. I'll seriously consider them for the new iPhone when it comes out.

**** ATT!

duddy

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Verizon does this but for many, the new plans cost more. I'm sure AT&T would happily start offering the more expensive plans with all these features built in but the same people here will be complaining how the new plans are a rip and they won't switch. At the end of the day, everyone will have to pay more and expect less data.

It only seems that way because angry customers are more vocal. I can say for certain that the new Share Everything plans actually are saving more people money than it is costing more. Seriously, by a lot.

Really, the only ones it's costing more for is families who have more basic phones than smart phones. But that scenario is becoming incredibly rare now and those customers are allowed to keep their old plans anyway. I have customers who are saving upwards of $180 a month. Plus gaining the comfort of not having to count minutes or texts, and being able to share a large bucket of data however they want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.