Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applebro24

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Las Vegas
Austin is 3D. I think too many of you are looking at only large/medium size cities. I bet there is a lot more than you know, that aren't big cities.

Good find. Keep posting if you find more. Apple has a campus in Austin I believe...

Attachments

• IMG_1528[1].PNG
    IMG_1528[1].PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 219

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
You'd think London would be a candidate given the large number of US tourists who will be here for the Olympics this year.

I wonder how they choose? Obviously not based on size or importance (no New York, London, or Tokyo, for example).

These 3D models are generated by flying specially equipped aircraft (not sure if they're using helicopters or fixed wing aircraft?) in specific patterns over the cities being models.

With London, at least, the airspace over the central city is strictly controlled. It's generally off-limits to private flights. Commercial carriers require permits and must fly in special pre-defined routes/lanes. No doubt, similar restrictions apply to other major cities like New York and Tokyo.

While I'm sure Apple can get special permission to fly their mapping patterns, its probably quite arduous to do so. I can imagine starting with "easier" and less restrictive cities while they're still working the kinks out, and will move on to places like London once they're sure they've got the technology mastered.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
These 3D models are generated by flying specially equipped aircraft (not sure if they're using helicopters or fixed wing aircraft?) in specific patterns over the cities being models.

With London, at least, the airspace over the central city is strictly controlled. It's generally off-limits to private flights. Commercial carriers require permits and must fly in special pre-defined routes/lanes. No doubt, similar restrictions apply to other major cities like New York and Tokyo.

While I'm sure Apple can get special permission to fly their mapping patterns, its probably quite arduous to do so. I can imagine starting with "easier" and less restrictive cities while they're still working the kinks out, and will move on to places like London once they're sure they've got the technology mastered.

London already exists in 3D though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaahKhvO_E4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
You'd think London would be a candidate given the large number of US tourists who will be here for the Olympics this year.

I wonder how they choose? Obviously not based on size or importance (no New York, London, or Tokyo, for example).

As it comes out in autumn when the Olympics are long forgotten, I think this might not be an issue.

applebro24

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Las Vegas
Could someone post a screenshot of what Montreal looks like in 3D? McGill University campus might be interesting.

I lucked out on my city being included.
One of the city and the university. The lack of clarity may be a result of my weak connection and the size of the city.

I've been virtually touring the cities for an hour now and my 4S gets very hot. I'm charging and on 3G so that may be why...

Attachments

• IMG_1529[1].PNG
    IMG_1529[1].PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1530[1].PNG
    IMG_1530[1].PNG
    1 MB · Views: 180
Negative, I looked at the 50 biggest US cities and only found the three above.

Austin is 3D. I think too many of you are looking at only large/medium size cities. I bet there is a lot more than you know, that aren't big cities.

From Wikipedia
Austin is the thirteenth most populous city in the United States of America and the fourth most populous city in the state of Texas. It was the third-fastest-growing large city in the nation from 2000 to 2006.[6] Austin has a population of 820,611 (2011 U.S. Census).[7] The city is the cultural and economic center of the Austin–Round Rock–San Marcos metropolitan area, which had an estimated population 1,783,519 (2011 U.S. Census),[8] making it the 34th-largest metropolitan statistical area in the United States and the fourth-largest in Texas.

Hmmmm.... ;)

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
Wow, it looks so bad when you're zoomed out like near that McGill University. It looks like a really bad version of Sims and GTA..

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Looks like they're just focusing on the most scenic large cities, not just the largest cities. Houston or Dallas would have been nice =/

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

When Apple bought C3 a couple of years back, they had over 100 cities mapped in 3D, including London. There's even a demo of London in 3D on YouTube. Apple just haven't activated them all yet, for whatever reason. Am sure these and more will be enabled on launch.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Wow, it looks so bad when you're zoomed out like near that McGill University. It looks like a really bad version of Sims and GTA..

It wasn't completely loaded when the screenshot was taken, it seems. On my 4S I see much more detail at that zoom level.

reyhero

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Hmm, I wonder if Google's going to release a standalone Google Maps app for iOS w/ all of the features like it is on Android.

And I wonder if Apple's going to block it from app store :D

It's quite funny really to see these 2 companies fight things out. In the end we're only getting the good stuff out of it anyway so I'd say YES to competition! xD

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Updated list in Alphabetical Order

Australia
Melbourne
Sydney

Canada
Montreal

Denmark
Copenhagen

US
Alhambra
Austin
Chicago
Cupertino
Denver
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Memphis
Miami
Mountain View
New Orleans
Oakland
Phoenix
Sacramento
San Diego
San Francisco
San Gabriel
San Jose
San Marino
Santa Monica
Seattle
South Pasadena

Last edited:

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
the 3d maps are outstanding.
i only can see the pics you guys have posted, but how beautiful.

any chance apple will implement a 'street view' ala google maps in the future?

Morrus

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
When Apple bought C3 a couple of years back, they had over 100 cities mapped in 3D, including London. There's even a demo of London in 3D on YouTube. Apple just haven't activated them all yet, for whatever reason. Am sure these and more will be enabled on launch.

Yes, I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.