Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Disputing a report from last weekend claiming that Apple has begun production on the next-generation iPhone, BGR now claims that the device is still in engineering testing and has yet to enter production.
Apple goes through multiple stages before a product is manufactured, and two of these include the "engineering verification test" stage and the "design verification test" phase. Apple's sixth-generation iPhone is currently in the EVT3 stage, the third revision of the engineering test stage, and has not yet entered the DVT stage.
white_iphone_2012_front.jpg

Claimed front panel from next-generation white iPhone
The report also claims to have confirmed several hardware details on the forthcoming iPhone, including the unsurprising inclusion of LTE connectivity, a bump to 1 GB of RAM from the 512 MB found in the iPhone 4S, and near field communication (NFC) technology that could significantly enhance the utility of Apple's Passbook app for iOS 6 unveiled last month.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone with LTE, NFC, and 1 GB RAM Reportedly Still in Engineering Testing

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Does it seriously need to be said? BGR is almost as unreliable as Digitimes. They've consistently been wrong about everything in the past 18 months.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I don't know why I care so much, but NFC really has me excited.

I can see the next iPhone "controversy": "You're paying for it wrong".

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I upgraded to an iphone 4 the week it came out from Verizon. That was February 11. I didn't get a 4s. What is the thinking on a subsidized upgrade from Verizon on the iPhone 5? Will they make me wait to December/ February, or will they give me a subsidized upgrade at the time of release?

One Bad Duck

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
Exciting

The concept of merging my travel card, keys, wallet, mp3 player, loyalty cards, calendar, address book is pretty cool. Imagine getting into your house/car with your phone....

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
When tim cook said he was "doubling down" on security, it means he may have been cracking down on sources of leaks. What better way than this? In the interview, he said that there's ONE screen size and ONE aspect ratio.

So either it's tim cook who is trolling us, or the suppliers trolling tim cook by showing that they can leak when they want to.

If it's the latter, I sure hope that this article is right and revise the aspect ratio.

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
So all these parts could very well still be "dummy" parts as Apple could be testing everything inside a normal looking iPhone

I believe that's what Apple has done in the past, placed new iPhone "guts" into current casings for certain Cupertino employees to test, no? Could be wrong.

I remember the two incidents in which iPhone's were left in public places, last years being in a bar but the iPhone shell was current while the parts differed (this was [supposedly] when a complete redesign was in the works but shelved due to battery issues with LTE/GSM/CDMA chips and hardware leaving the backup 4S as a last ditch release).

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
LTE and 1GB I think are near certainties. Reports seem to indicate Apple is shying away from NFC, but I do hope it's included. It can be used for much more than just payments.

Agreed. "Always On" on CNet showed a very useful video last week of how to use tags to automatically change settings on a phone when you are in a car, at the office, etc.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if they actually reduced the RAM to 256 MB in order to increase the battery life.

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
The LTE and NFC are long overdue, but that should be a nice addition. The 4 inch screen, even though I'm not completely sold that I'll like more height on the phone, should also look good. But 1 GB of RAM? If this report is true, that's just not enough and it's behind industry standard. My 4S gets bogged down if I don't close out apps (which I don't want to ever have to worry about). If these reports are true, I'm not convinced this phone is going to be a significant enough upgrade for me to not switch over to an Android 4.1 phone. I mean, a new Nexus is due in November; if this comes out in October then I'm just going to wait. Guaranteed updates and guaranteed better specs

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
The concept of merging my travel card, keys, wallet, mp3 player, loyalty cards, calendar, address book is pretty cool. Imagine getting into your house/car with your phone....

Would be fantastic, and it is a very secure tech. Time Warner and other company's use app's with their installed hardware for home security, would be nice to see this all incorporated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.