Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
Quite unexpected. Sparrow was one of the best third-party e-mail clients... I wonder why Google acquired them given their browser-centric mindset.

i fail to see the point of hyping sparrow .. it seems like just another email app.. make mail works fine for me..

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
really hope it doesn't get left and forgotten or worse: changes that make the app too google-centric. i've been using the Mac and iOS versions since they were released and they're great for what i need/want out of an email client. really hope google doesn't mess it up.

celui

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
Sparrow just sent that email to its customers:

Hello,

We're excited to let you know that Sparrow has been acquired by Google! You can view our public announcement here, but I wanted to reach out directly to make sure you were aware of the news.

We will continue to make available our existing products, and we will provide support and critical updates to our users. However, as we’ll be busy with new projects at Google, we do not plan to release new features for the Sparrow apps.

It’s been an honor and a pleasure to build products for all of our wonderful users who have supported us over the years. We can't thank you enough.
We look forward to working on some new and exciting projects at Google!

Dom Leca
CEO
Sparrow

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
I'm sorry, but with this move, I can't use Sparrow. I'm not a fan of Google's tactics, now they can more closely monitor our emails.

Ah, the classic mindless paranoia. Two things:

1. Everyday, billions of emails are exchanged through Gmail. Believe me, Google has better things to do than monitor what grandpa wrote to you.

2. If you are so worried about your emails being monitored, why are you using Gmail in the first place?

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Sparrow just sent that email to its customers:

Hello,

We're excited to let you know that Sparrow has been acquired by Google! You can view our public announcement here, but I wanted to reach out directly to make sure you were aware of the news.

We will continue to make available our existing products, and we will provide support and critical updates to our users. However, as we’ll be busy with new projects at Google, we do not plan to release new features for the Sparrow apps.

It’s been an honor and a pleasure to build products for all of our wonderful users who have supported us over the years. We can't thank you enough.
We look forward to working on some new and exciting projects at Google!

Dom Leca
CEO
Sparrow

Icing on the cake, really.

alms

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2003
Boston
Sigh

Oh well. I guess I should buy Sparrow now before they make it free and fill it up with advertisements and links to Google+.

Shoot. Good news for the devs, I guess, but bad news for their customers.

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
Well, that's the end of that. I don't want Google to have more information about me. Time to switch back to Mail.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
My experience with the desktop version of Sparrow was not so great, and I went back to using Mail.app and GMail web client. Granted, one of my major issues was only on Snow Leopard, but they refused to fix it and said to upgrade to Lion (this was last year, when Lion was still fresh). I had other issues that I don't think were Snow Leopard specific. Maybe now they will have more resources to address bugs...

C.G.B. Spender

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2012

1. Everyday, billions of emails are exchanged through Gmail. Believe me, Google has better things to do than monitor what grandpa wrote to you.

2. If you are so worried about your emails being monitored, why are you using Gmail in the first place?

But just in case they will scan it for keywords anyway :D

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010

If you don't think that they're using all of that e-mail data to make money you're deluded. Why contribute personal information to some company's data mine if you don't have to?

Why do you assume CylonGlitch is using Gmail?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

It's not about the monitoring for me. I left G-Mail when they started tying it in with Google+ more and more. I don't want e-mail that's trying to be like Facebook.

I assume Sparrow will eventually move that way too which would be the reason for my disinterest in it. I can't speak for that other poster, but that's what would scare me away.

Google can't have your info but Apple can?

One company makes money by selling fancy toys. The other makes money by using the info you give them. This is not paranoia, this is their stated business plans.

If you somehow thought those were the same business model I could see why you'd be confused, but surely that's not the case, right?

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Wow, first Mozilla announces no more Thunderbird, and now this? I don't use either, but having a choice was nice.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
It's called integration, friend.

Or simply: Apple acquires Sparrow. Apple incorporates Sparrow's design and feature improvements over Mail, into Mail. Apple's Mail thus becomes better.

If Apple wanted their Mail client to be like Sparrow, they would just make it more like Sparrow. There is nothing so special about Sparrow that Apple couldn't easily replicate it if they wanted to.

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
Google can't have your info but Apple can?

Apple isn't my e-mail provider. Unlike Google, they're also not an advertising agency. I trust that Apple isn't looking at the content of my e-mail. I do not extend that trust to Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.