Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While today's big acquisition news has been Google's purchase of Sparrow, another prominent Mac and iOS developer has also been swallowed up by a major Silicon Valley company.

facebook_acrylic.jpg

Acrylic Software has announced (via The Next Web) that it has been acquired by Facebook, which is bringing on the Acrylic team for its expertise rather than its current products, which include RSS reader Pulp (iPad, Mac) and secure personal database app Wallet (iOS, Mac).
Facebook is an invaluable service that we all use daily, and a company I believe is one of the most innovative and important around today. After visiting late last year, I discovered that we shared many of the same core product design goals and principles, and it soon became obvious that it was a natural fit. Simply put, there's an opportunity at Facebook to have a big impact in many people's lives. More importantly, Facebook is full of extremely talented people who will be able to help realize its full potential in the years to come.
Acrylic's apps are not included in the deal, although the developer plans to continue offering them in their current states.

Article Link: Facebook Acquires 'Pulp' and 'Wallet' Developer Acrylic Software

el3ktro

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2008
Acrylic's apps are not included in the deal, although the developer plans to continue offering them in their current states.

So does that mean no more updates to Wallet? I actually like it, but it hasn't seen an update in months now, despite the developer claiming that he's 'working on it'. May be the time to look out for another digital wallet app. Any recommendations for one that works on the iPhone and OS X?

mx01

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
And that's the state of independent software development these days.

I think it's quiet the opposite:

More importantly,[small company's] is full of extremely talented people who will be able to help realize [large company] full potential in the years to come.

… from what I've read there's a shortage of talented people in the sillicon valley and companies like facebook and google acquire small businesses to get hold of new talented staff.

Last edited by a moderator:

macaddict06

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
about 3 meters from here. *points*
"...we shared many of the same core product design goals and principles"

Wait. So you've used their services (i.e. the FB app) daily and you STILL feel that you share that much in common? The biggest problem I have with FB is its design principles and goals, as the app neither works nor is delivered on a timely basis.

Don't insult yourself at the expense of your forthcoming buyout, buddy.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
I use Pulp daily, it's a great app. Disappointed there won't be any more updates, was hoping for an iPhone version at some point :(

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
damn that's annoying. I really liked Wallet, i liked how easy and quick it was to use, and how it sync'd across all my iOS and OS X systems.
So now i'm going to have to find another app that does the same thing, and then spend AGES moving everything across.

TheBlankPage

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
RIP Wallet

As a longtime user of Wallet, I have to say I'm more than a bit disappointed by this news. It has been a slick way to keep my passwords and info synced across all my devices (and a comparatively inexpensive one at that...)

Wow, we lose Wallet AND Sparrow in one day... I understand that 'you answer when the big boys come calling', but it still sucks for users of these independent software solutions. :(

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I use Pulp daily, it's a great app. Disappointed there won't be any more updates, was hoping for an iPhone version at some point :(
This is exactly what I thought when I saw Acrylic break the news on Twitter. I've been using Pulp for probably less than a month, but I think that it's an outstanding application, and I was really hoping to see an iPhone version. I asked the developers if this was ever likely to happen, and they said that they were looking into it. Well, they obviously weren't, as this was just a matter of weeks before they announce that they're moving to California to be absorbed into the Facebook juggernaut.

The full blog post on the Acrylic website did make me laugh, however, when it was noted that Facebook had not bought (a word that I feel is a bit more active and descriptive than the ubiquitous 'acquired') Pulp or Wallet, but they were nevertheless essentially being discontinued, yet readers were apparently supposed to find consolation in the fact that these applications would continue to be sold.

Well isn't that heroic: they've sold out, but at least they're willing to carry on peddling what is essentially now abandonware for personal profit. Consider my worries assuaged, Acrylic.

Xero910

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
Aww! I love Pulp and Wallet. I really hope they keep them as stand-alone products. I’d hate to see Pulp get integrated with Facebook.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Damn I love Wallet and was hoping they would do an OS X retina update. Guess I need to switch to 1password.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
To go along with sofa.

I wonder what they are cooking?

They seem to be amassing quite a collection of good Mac developers.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
"Facebook is an invaluable service that we all use daily"

No. Interesting how people over estimate FB and other thing's impact. Many people don't use FB at all never mind daily.

finalcut

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Quebec, Canada
As a longtime user of Wallet, I have to say I'm more than a bit disappointed by this news. It has been a slick way to keep my passwords and info synced across all my devices (and a comparatively inexpensive one at that...)

Wow, we lose Wallet AND Sparrow in one day... I understand that 'you answer when the big boys come calling', but it still sucks for users of these independent software solutions. :(
it is now the time to turn toward iPassword app. This is until they get bought as well hehe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.