Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AuburnApple

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
So no rumors that the new connector is actually MicroUSB? To me it looks like it could be it. I certainly would like it to be :)

That would suck if it was, but it won't be. Micro USB holds no benefits over the likely 19 pin connector other than it's widely used and a little smaller. I prefer functionality over cheaper battery chargers.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I cannot wait to see the faces of people on here when the real iPhone 5 comes out with the regular dock connector and the headphone jack at the top like it is now.

Take another look at that supposed part. It is lopsided. The grills do not match. There is no regulatory text on the back and the iPhone text is the wrong font and has the wrong kerning. Apple is very particular about details and finish.

There will be a lot of case makers wishing that they had not jumped the gun on this one.

The current dock supplies the following:
- USB/USB2 connectivity for data and power.
- control signals (for integration with car systems and stereos/alarm clocks).
- analogue video (component/composite), VGA
- digital video (HDMI)
- analogue audio (stereo phono output)
- digital audio (HDMI)
- firewire data and power
The firewire functionality has been disabled in current products but is still in the spec.

simoneves

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
Need multiple adapters!

One point which I haven't seen anyone else bring up on this thread is that many (maybe most) people will need more than one adapter even for just one phone.

I have a charger at home, a charger at work, and a USB cable in my car which I sometimes use for a top-up.

Unless I want to carry a single adapter around with me all the time (or just leave it connected to the phone... yuck) then I'd need three adapters.

(sigh)

chazwatson

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
San Diego, CA US
Then again, how fast is the 64GB internally? You can get USB3.0. Read/sec is what? 150MB/Sec max? that is 1.2GBit/sec or 1/4 of USB3.0. Even if you have a fast SSD, the speed is not much more than twice that and still half of what USB3.0 can do. Since you don't daisy chain them, it is absolutely sufficient (Except you have more than 4 devices at once on one port up/downloading to the equivalent number of of SSD/HDD).

That's why I said the bit about upgrading the I/O capabilities too.

Here's to hoping that the next iPhone will have USB 3.0 / Thunderbolt support and the internal I/O upgrade to match.

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
This is the second time they have changed the dock connector and it won't be the last.

How about just micro-USB and any signal that doesn't fit via Bluetooth?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Why would you think that anything essential goes away? Virtually no one needs FireWire on the Dock Connector.

I was replying about an image showing the adapter. Look at it, and you'll see what I'm talking about. The audio jack is connected with the small dock connector to the big one, suggesting that audio does not go through the small one at all.

----------

If you have only $300 of spending money for the month, you shouldn't blow it all on a set of speakers. It's called living within your means.

What if you had $5000 and used it on stuff, including speakers, but now those speakers don't work with the new iPhone?

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
What if you had $5000 and used it on stuff, including speakers, but now those speakers don't work with the new iPhone?

Spending .25% of your system price to allow it to function with the latest technology at a later date isn't out of line. It's a drop in the bucket.

But not sure what $5000 system consists of a set of speakers that directly connects to the iPhone and costs $300.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
One point which I haven't seen anyone else bring up on this thread is that many (maybe most) people will need more than one adapter even for just one phone.

I have a charger at home, a charger at work, and a USB cable in my car which I sometimes use for a top-up.

Unless I want to carry a single adapter around with me all the time (or just leave it connected to the phone... yuck) then I'd need three adapters.

(sigh)

The next iPhone may have a different dock connector on the head-end of the cable... but that won't affect charging.

The tail of that cable will still be good ol' USB... so all your existing USB chargers will still function at home, at work and in your car.

Nothing is changing on the tail-end... so don't worry about not being able to charge your new iPhone. You've probably got plenty of USB chargers... and you'll get yet another USB wall charger with the new iPhone.

And it won't be too long until Monoprice has new iPhone charging cables for $3

21sA5LmlFpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
belkin-usb-charger-web.jpg

The real issue here is about speakers and accessories with a hardwired 30-pin dock. Those will need some kind of adapter if you want to use them with the new iPhone.

img0506hg.jpg

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Spending .25% of your system price to allow it to function with the latest technology at a later date isn't out of line. It's a drop in the bucket.

But not sure what $5000 system consists of a set of speakers that directly connects to the iPhone and costs $300.

+1, I'm also curious.

chazwatson

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
San Diego, CA US

1) Get new speakers (you can sell the old ones to someone else who's also not considering future upgradeability)
2) Continue to use your current iPhone - your phone won't stop working when the new one is released.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
1) Get new speakers (you can sell the old ones to someone else who's also not considering future upgradeability)
2) Continue to use your current iPhone - your phone won't stop working when the new one is released.

Well yeah, I wouldn't buy a new iPhone if they didn't have adaptors. Actually, I won't buy a new one anyway for other reasons. And even with the adapter, certain things will not work.

I just don't see the point of the new dock connector at all unless they add something useful to it like digital audio.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This is the second time they have changed the dock connector and it won't be the last.

How about just micro-USB and any signal that doesn't fit via Bluetooth?

Actually, the dock connector has never been changed substantially. It's been the same since the first iPod to use a dock connector back in 2003. The only thing that has changed was removal of Firewire syncing and charging support around 2005-2007.

iPods prior to the dock connector used an actual Firewire 400 port for connectivity.

Count me with those who think it's silly to change a nine year old standard just to save a tiny sliver of space. The dock connector should stay the same. It's ubiquitous.

steeptrails

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2006
That's nice, but

That's nice, but what about the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter?? How much longer do we have to wait for those?

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
This is the type of thread that has me wishing for the down vote button to make a return.

People that think we should keep the dock connector are crazy. It's easily one of the largest interfaces of any computer made in the last five years, let alone a portable device. If the industry listened to people like this we would still have serial ports on our computers.

cbscon_PC_ParallelPort.jpg

The image above used to be universal too. Think progress.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
That would suck if it was, but it won't be. Micro USB holds no benefits over the likely 19 pin connector other than it's widely used and a little smaller. I prefer functionality over cheaper battery chargers.

Yeah, widely used. Wouldn't it be great having accessories fitting all phone brands rather than either iphone or the rest?

You can make support for HDMI, and even analogue audio (galaxy SII had this) through microUSB, what specific and hopefully useful functionality will require a proprietary design?

lovemyapple

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Apple should have changed there dock size awhile back. Its the smart thing to do. Why complain about something that is a positive thing? Just think about what more they could do with the iDevices. And i think the should use the same size or all the Apple devices. Like a dock similar to the MacBooks, but a thinner version. Plus it would be original. Just my thought on this. So think about it before you start complaint and whining about an awesome and very positive change.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I cannot wait to see the faces of people on here when the real iPhone 5 comes out with the regular dock connector and the headphone jack at the top like it is now.

Take another look at that supposed part. It is lopsided. The grills do not match. There is no regulatory text on the back and the iPhone text is the wrong font and has the wrong kerning. Apple is very particular about details and finish.

There will be a lot of case makers wishing that they had not jumped the gun on this one.

The current dock supplies the following:
- USB/USB2 connectivity for data and power.
- control signals (for integration with car systems and stereos/alarm clocks).
- analogue video (component/composite), VGA
- digital video (HDMI)
- analogue audio (stereo phono output)
- digital audio (HDMI)
- firewire data and power
The firewire functionality has been disabled in current products but is still in the spec.

Obviously it's a rough finish.... That is the new iPhone. Get over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.