Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Hm... just updated on Lion (with ML I'm not in a hurry, I'm gonna update in the next few days). The huge tabs and the reader button look a little strange at first, but I think you just have to get used to it. One thing I really miss from Chrome is that if you have more opened tabs and you want to close them, they don't shrink until your mouse hovers over the X button, so you can just keep closing them without always moving your cursor.

The new pinch gesture for tab switching unfortunately doesn't work under Lion.

But hell it is a LOT snappier :D

And best of all: Top Sites finally seems to work nice and smooth, it doesn't freeze and always highlights the pages without having to move the cursor around!

Last edited:

theosib

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
New features, but none of the serious bugs fixed

Great. Lots of new features. But let me guess. It still has massive memory bloat, and it still reverts your Google searches to whatever you typed into the address bar, not what you typed on the Google page. Any other non-fixed bugs?

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Haven't had a chance to download it yet, but any idea if youtube works smoothly?

I ended up switching over to chrome only for the reason that youtube videos embedded in sites would never work properly. And typically on a average web browsing day I would come across 20-30.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
And nobody noticed that Apple just quietly killed Safari for Windows? Good riddance.

That leaves iTunes as the last remaining Apple software for Windows.

I just heard. I'm really happy that they came to that decision in the end. It was never meant to be and I'm pretty sure a lot of money went wasted into developing it. iTunes is great on Windows, so is Quicktime, but that's as far as it should go.

rtues-d2

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2012
Arizona
Haven't had a chance to download it yet, but any idea if youtube works smoothly?

I ended up switching over to chrome only for the reason that youtube videos embedded in sites would never work properly. And typically on a average web browsing day I would come across 20-30.
So far, I've just gone on YT directly but it's been smooth as butter. When people say it feels snappier, they aren't lying.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
And nobody noticed that Apple just quietly killed Safari for Windows? Good riddance.

That leaves iTunes as the last remaining Apple software for Windows.

Don't they still offer QuickTime (which IMO is a major fail on Windows).

mdimovv

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Anybody know how to revert back to 5.1.7?
I'm using MacBook Air 2012, and 5.1.7 was a lot smoother at scrolling than
Thanks!

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Thought i'd try the new safari whilst mountain lion downloads, and I have to say, it feels snappier (get mad haters :p) Scrolling is much smoother, even in lion, but looking closely I can still see little choppy bits, but with mountain lion I think core graphics got updated,.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
I just heard. I'm really happy that they came to that decision in the end. It was never meant to be and I'm pretty sure a lot of money went wasted into developing it. iTunes is great on Windows, so is Quicktime, but that's as far as it should go.

Safari is my main browser dispite ist used to be slover than chrome. But not on windows machines. I can't agree more with you Jessica. It was totaly wast

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
just checked software update on os x lion and I don't see the updated safari release, where is it?

abmzdh

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Address bar now hides http/https prefix and makes the path after domain name light grey, it's nearly invisible. I guess that's the trend now, with Chrome and Firefox doing the same thing, IE9 being the exception.

That prefix hiding, by the way, is very annoying if you access a site over https that has some content (images, scripts, ads) delivered over plain http. In this case you get no indication that the main page uses https whatsoever.

Maybe there's a hidden pref somewhere to disable this nonsense and bring back the old behaviour?

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Looks like scrolling in pages with animated GIF's finally seem to work smoothly.

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
By the way, it's interesting to note that there are still RSS images in the app bundle, and they even have retina versions.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 19.21.11.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 19.21.11.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 110
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.