Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulioo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
Just installed mine via a purchase from the mac app store. It went very smoothly and was surprisingly quick.

It does seem a lot snappier.

What do you think of it ?

mrs1986

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Uruguay
Just installed mine via a purchase from the mac app store. It went very smoothly and was surprisingly quick.

It does seem a lot snappier.

What do you think of it ?

Wich :apple: Air do you have? I would like to know if you have 4gb ram or 8gb of ram, because this is what i'm debating to buy mine... I would love 8gb but is hard to find outside the apple store... :D

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I say get the 8gb just for longevity sake.

But I have a 4gb 13inch and everything is snappier. Love it. For awhile my instant on was getting bogged down, not it's quick and it fades into operation instead of just ....nothing....*bam*...mouse lag...working fine.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Seems "snappy" for me too (13' 2011 Air). But then again, this laptop has always seemed snappy for me - coming from a Dell Latitude D830 business laptop. lol.

It reset my color profile for the display, but other than that, still working with it. iMessage doesn't seem to be much different from the iMessage beta. A lot of my settings were re-set like Energy Savings, put hard drive to sleep when possible, etc... I haven't checked to see if noatime or the motion sensor for the hd were turned back on.

It looks like I lost 5GB of space? I went from 106GB free to 101GB free. Wondering if there's a way to remove the App Store downloads - that would probably free up 3GB+.

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
Original MacBook Air

I have an Original MacBook Air that I don't use for much. Mostly it's used by house guests who want to check email, etc. But it is always the first computer I upgrade to a new OS X.

I see from the specs that it won't run Mountain Lion. That sucks.

So it looks like 4 years is the max lifetime you can expect to get out of an Apple product if you want OS upgrades.

mrs1986

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Uruguay
I have an Original MacBook Air that I don't use for much. Mostly it's used by house guests who want to check email, etc. But it is always the first computer I upgrade to a new OS X.

I see from the specs that it won't run Mountain Lion. That sucks.

So it looks like 4 years is the max lifetime you can expect to get out of an Apple product if you want OS upgrades.

Thats a nice observation, may I ask if you upgraded the ram on your original Air or is just the base model? Sorry if is an stupid question, when the first air was released i wasnt even thinking on getting a mac, just toooooo expensive at my country....

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I can never tell. LOL

I haven't used any of the new features but like I said it's only $20. I wasted more on gas yesterday.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Performance on 2011 11" 2 GB RAM?

Wondering if it is worth installing on a 2011 11" that only has 2GB of RAM? It isn't used for anything intensive--wife has it to use for occasional travel and most difficult task it playing a powerpoint presentation, otherwise it's pretty much limited to web browsing, word processing and email, at least for now.

It's pretty snappy with Lion but from the little bit I've read about ML, sounds like ML is even quicker.

I'm already upgrading 2 other computers in the house so it's already paid for, just wondering if it will improve performance or hinder it.

Thanks.

KathysMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Wondering if it is worth installing on a 2011 11" that only has 2GB of RAM? It isn't used for anything intensive--wife has it to use for occasional travel and most difficult task it playing a powerpoint presentation, otherwise it's pretty much limited to web browsing, word processing and email, at least for now.

It's pretty snappy with Lion but from the little bit I've read about ML, sounds like ML is even quicker.

I'm already upgrading 2 other computers in the house so it's already paid for, just wondering if it will improve performance or hinder it.

Thanks.

I have a similar concern. I have an 11 inch air with a 1.7GHz Core I5 processor, 128 GB flash storage and 4GB of ram. It works great for me, but I'm concerned how much space the upgrade to Mountain Lion will take (currently using Lion), and like you, I'm wondering if it will speed my computer up or slow it down. I'm new to Macs and not anywhere near tech-savvy, so I'd appreciate any advice offered. Kathy

Paulioo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
Wich :apple: Air do you have? I would like to know if you have 4gb ram or 8gb of ram, because this is what i'm debating to buy mine... I would love 8gb but is hard to find outside the apple store... :D

Mine is only the 4gb version but I am seriously impressed by how fast it is.
I do a lot of photo work mainly with iphoto and its amazingly quick, as it is with all other day to day tasks and Ive been using mountain lion now for the last 3 hours and it certainly does feel even snappier than lion did
I don't do video editing though

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
My 2010 11' Air scrolls so much better with Mountain Lion especially the updated Safari... it feels like a totally different machine.

mrs1986

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Uruguay
Mine is only the 4gb version but I am seriously impressed by how fast it is.
I do a lot of photo work mainly with iphoto and its amazingly quick, as it is with all other day to day tasks and Ive been using mountain lion now for the last 3 hours and it certainly does feel even snappier than lion did
I don't do video editing though

Thanks Paulioo, its good to know, i'm buying one while a friend is in travel in usa, and the one i can easily get is the 4gb version, i think is enough for me, as i only do coding work on my laptop, nothing to serious... Can you run a VM in yours?

Thanks.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Installed it this AM - no issues. Works great so far, but seems like very much a point release - nothing earth shattering in this release. Looks like there is already an update on the App Store.

Paulioo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
I have a similar concern. I have an 11 inch air with a 1.7GHz Core I5 processor, 128 GB flash storage and 4GB of ram. It works great for me, but I'm concerned how much space the upgrade to Mountain Lion will take (currently using Lion), and like you, I'm wondering if it will speed my computer up or slow it down. I'm new to Macs and not anywhere near tech-savvy, so I'd appreciate any advice offered. Kathy

Mountain lion was a 4gb download but I am not sure if it actually takes 4gb of space as some lion os files maybe over written ?
But I think mountain lion has slight sped up my computer

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Anyone have a aftermarket ssd? I have the 480gb in mine. Anything to notice with that?

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
I say get the 8gb just for longevity sake.
But I have a 4gb 13inch and everything is snappier. Love it. For awhile my instant on was getting bogged down, not it's quick and it fades into operation instead of just ....nothing....*bam*...mouse lag...working fine.

Yeah, that's why I loaded my '12 Air with 8GB. I plan on having this laptop for at least 5 years, so i've futureproofed it as far as Apple will allow me to.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I upgraded earlier, but afterwards the fans wouldn't stop spinning and it was running hot. I decided to reinstall, and to my surprise the recovery disc on my air was also upgraded to mountain lion. So I did that, and now my computer is much faster and smoother, and I don't think I've heard the fans kick on since then.

Paulioo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
instant on seems the same ? No difference no lag

Last edited:

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Anyone have a aftermarket ssd? I have the 480gb in mine. Anything to notice with that?

I upgraded the SSD in my 2011 air to one from OWC as well. Mostly everything seems to 'just work' without a hitch. I'm still waiting for Power Nap to be 'available'. We might not get to use that feature, but still holding out a bit of hope for an update.

Paulioo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
I upgraded the SSD in my 2011 air to one from OWC as well. Mostly everything seems to 'just work' without a hitch. I'm still waiting for Power Nap to be 'available'. We might not get to use that feature, but still holding out a bit of hope for an update.

When will power nap be available I presumed it was now a feature of mountain lion but your right its not

Last edited:

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
When will power nap be available I presumed it was now a feature of mountain lion but your right its not

It requires a Firmware update. I have no idea when it'll get pushed out. It "seems" like some people got it already, but haven't heard anything certain.

Paulioo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
Powernap should be available now but its is only for 2011 models onwards with flash storage but I still cant see how to enable it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.