Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With today's launch of OS X Mountain Lion, Apple's Up-to-Date program has officially gone live. The program allows any user who purchased a Mac on or after June 11 to receive a free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion if their system came with OS X Lion preinstalled. Customers who purchased server models such as the Mac mini server and Mac Pro server configurations can also receive free upgrades to Apple's latest server tools released alongside Mountain Lion.

os_x_mountain_lion_up_to_date.jpg

Apple is apparently experiencing some early difficulties with the program, however, with some users reporting that their Mac App Store redemption codes for OS X Mountain Lion are not working and others still waiting to receive their codes. Some users were able to obtain codes earlier this week when the program briefly went live prematurely, but the redemption difficulties appear to be affecting both early recipients and new applicants.

Apple support staff have acknowledged the difficulties and are advising customers that they may need to wait up to three days to receive replacement codes, although some replacement codes are reportedly already coming through without any action required by the users. Submitting the up-to-date program application a second time fails to generate new codes, as Apple's systems recognize that the machine serial numbers have already been used and thus refuse to complete the repeat applications.

Customers who purchased new Macs between June 11 and today have until August 24 to claim their redemption codes for OS X Mountain Lion, but many are undoubtedly anxious to install the new operating system as soon as possible. Users who purchase new Lion-equipped Macs starting tomorrow will have 30 days from the date of purchase in which to claim their free upgrades to Mountain Lion.

Article Link: Apple's OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program Experiencing Early Hiccups

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
Anyone?

Do we have a confirmed person who applied for Lion Up-To-Date and got a code and was successful in redeeming it and has downloaded?

kpress3

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
I called Apple about half an hour ago and the lady told me that Apple sent out duplicate codes to people and everyone should have their new codes within 24 hours.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
i was one who registered early on Monday. when i inputed it this morning it wouldn't work. i left to do some work and when i came back apple sent me a replacement code which worked. ML is installing now :) i didn't have to contact Apple or anything so the new codes are definitely coming!

kpress3

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
i was one who registered early on Monday. when i inputed it this morning it wouldn't work. i left to do some work and when i came back apple sent me a replacement code which worked. ML is installing now :) i didn't have to contact Apple or anything so the new codes are definitely coming!

This makes me very hopeful that mine will be coming soon! :)

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
My father bought an iMac June 8th.

My father bought an iMac June 8th... so I'm probably not eligible huh lol?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Question: I'm guessing you'll get a code to download it to your apple account. Does this mean I can install it on another Mac too, or I'll have to repurchase it for another Mac.

muzzle79

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2009
My father bought an iMac June 8th... so I'm probably not eligible huh lol?

Two options, call directly and see if they can help, if not talk with the store. Sometimes sweet talking them, they'll re-ring the transaction for you to get the promo.

No guarantees, but it's worth the shot.

muzzle79

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2009
Question: I'm guessing you'll get a code to download it to your apple account. Does this mean I can install it on another Mac too, or I'll have to repurchase it for another Mac.

Apps tied to your App Store account are good for up to 5 systems.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
Retina

I really wish for the Retina display, it would just auto let you download it, there is no way to purchase a Retina prior to 6/11, so just do a check and give it to us.

I only say that because of the "hiccups", and I am impatient. ;)

kpress3

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
I hope so, requested mine around 10:30am EST this morning and I am still waiting

I was told "within 24 hours" so hopefully that's just a number they throw out there and it's considerably less than that because I'm very anxious to get ML!

oldcelt

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2011
UK
I don't want a new code. I still, almost 6 hours later, have not heard a dicky bird.
You would think a computer company would be able to set up a form properly. When I applied I was not able to select MacBook Air as that wasn't one of the choices. The form is set up for US users with no international variations for address formats.
WHY, when people are buying items worth much more from the iTunes store with just their Apple ID, can Apple not just use Apple ID plus machine serial number.
WHY do we need a wretched CODE for heaven's sake.:mad:

yocko

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
freaks!

so they think that i am going to wait for three days to see if my code might or might not come in...

i suggest they will reimburse me the 20 bucks.

8.8 billion profit and they refuse to allocate trained IT staff to get this childplay trick right.

I am so ****ing sick of this company!

shelveen

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
got the code

i bought two macbook pros and sent for both codes this morning at 633amPST and got the redeem codes within 4 minutes

the redeem code worked for all my apple computers...so i still have one redeem code that i haven't used...i use two laptops..one for me and one for my brother and i also have an iMac at work...and when i logged in...it just asked me to download..so i guess it works across the account

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I got a redemption code two days ago but it didn't work. Today, about 3 hours after ML went live, I got two new emails from Apple with a new code and it worked right away.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
This is absurd. I submitted my request at 930am. I got the code an hour later, but of course it doesn't work. I instantly submitted a support request and have had no response, not that it will matter.

I don't understand why there needs to be these redemption code hoops in the first place. The info we submit is enough for them to simply activate the download on our Apple ID. Even then, it doesn't make sense that it is taking five hours to regenerate codes.

The funny thing is that I made a post on the official Apple forums joking about how easy it is to download from bittorrent and my post was removed in 20 minutes. They sure know their priorities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.