Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HatterZero

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2012
U.S.A.
A question,

What does hungry people have to do with the mac os mountain lion free upgrade program??

Another question,

Why are you blaming most of us for the hungry people in the world? In my case, I had to upgrade to a mac so that I can keep up with my job's files in a better way than Windows.

Another question,

If you are so worried about people being hungry, why don't you make the first step, sell your mac on eBay and use the money to feed hungry people?

I think it was more about perspective.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I submitted mine and got the claim reference number on my screen almost 6 hours ago. Still no email :(

atysklind

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
I'm about to just purchase it for the $19.99 and contact Apple in hopes they will refund me when they get everything sorted out.

blucable

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
To wait (for free version) or not to wait (and spend $19.99)

That is the question. :confused:

beez1717

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Earth
omg

I still do not have a code even though I submitted all the info at around 11:00. Hmm. This is taking a while. I hope apple gets around to giving out the codes soon.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I decided to go through with the trick to resubmit on the UTD page. I had to upload a copy of my "receipt" (I took a screenshot of my apple store invoice). Let's see if this speeds anything up.

If you try to re-submit your serial number, it will tell you that the serial is already submitted. However, if you click submit many times, it takes you to a page to upload your receipt and re-submit.

I've done that 5 or 6 times and still no luck.

----------

What do you think are the chances I get reimbursed for the upgrade if I were to buy it instead? I have a $100 back to school gift card I could use.

stoplis

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
I decided to go through with the trick to resubmit on the UTD page. I had to upload a copy of my "receipt" (I took a screenshot of my apple store invoice). Let's see if this speeds anything up.

If you try to re-submit your serial number, it will tell you that the serial is already submitted. However, if you click submit many times, it takes you to a page to upload your receipt and re-submit.

I've just done this as I realised I had put the wrong date in for my purchase date, I was looking at the wrong apple store receipt.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I've done that 5 or 6 times and still no luck.

When I filled mine out this morning, it did not ask for a copy of the receipt at all. I bought mine from Best Buy. I just had to enter the date of purchase and serial number.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
When I filled mine out this morning, it did not ask for a copy of the receipt at all. I bought mine from Best Buy. I just had to enter the date of purchase and serial number.

The first time I did it, I did not need a proof of purchase. The next few times (every hour or so) I did need a receipt.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Two options, call directly and see if they can help, if not talk with the store. Sometimes sweet talking them, they'll re-ring the transaction for you to get the promo.

No guarantees, but it's worth the shot.

All this in an effort to save $20? I guess time has little value for many.

miazma

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
ML should have been given away for free. I mean come on... We're paying so much money for the whole apple package. Is it really worth it for apple to have people getting frustrated because of something which brings them only 20 bucks? That's pathetic.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Because.. here you are trying to upgrade to Mountain Lion, when hungry people would love to EAT a Mountain Lion! For shame... Help stop hunger. Send your Lion to the poor.

A question,

What does hungry people have to do with the mac os mountain lion free upgrade program??
Another question,

Why are you blaming most of us for the hungry people in the world? In my case, I had to upgrade to a mac so that I can keep up with my job's files in a better way than Windows.

Another question,

If you are so worried about people being hungry, why don't you make the first step, sell your mac on eBay and use the money to feed hungry people?

So I have to wait a little longer to get my FREE upgrade to my shiny new MacBook Air.

Such is life, mustn't grumble.

The sense of entitlement of some you is sickening. You do realise people are going hungry in some places of the world?

Beechside

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2004
Worked fine for me. Got the redemption code in about 15 mins and the download of ML took about 20 mins (40 Mbps FTTC with TalkTalk in the UK). Install completed and all's well. Just starting to explore new features. . .

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Worked fine for me. Got the redemption code in about 15 mins and the download of ML took about 20 mins (40 Mbps FTTC with TalkTalk in the UK). Install completed and all's well. Just starting to explore new features. . .

You're not helping :p

cmartinez

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
Got tired of waiting...

I requested my Up-to-Date code and got it within 10-15 minutes (6 am PDT). However, I tried it, and I go the message "This code has already been used. Each code may only be used once." I emailed Apple's Up-to-Date program and told them of the situation. On another Mac blog, I realized I was not the only one with this problem. I decided to download other updates (Safari, Aperture, iMovie, etc.) while I waited for a response.

It is now 12 pm (6+ hours later), and still no response. I've decided it is not worth the hassle to save $19.99, especially if it can take 72 hours, so I just bought OS X 10.8 via the MacApp store. If I ever get a new valid code, I'll probably give it to a niece or nephew.

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
Scientists at the LHC are worried that the universe may collapse into a singularity because some fanboys can't download an incremental update to a computer OS. Run for the hills !!

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
This happened last year for a lot of people too. Give it a few hours and the load won't be so heavy.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2003
I'm also one of the unlucky ones with the code that doesn't work. Does anyone know if the Golden Master that came out a few weeks ago is identical to the release version?

I may just go ahead and install the one I got off BT. So much for trying to do things the "right way."

tmp0404

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
PA
I requested my code around 9:30 this morning and got it back in about 15 minutes. When going through the forms to request the code, I did not have to submit a scanned copy of my receipt, guessing the serial # alone sufficed, but I did acquire my upgrade eligible MB Air as an educational department purchase so perhaps that made a difference.

Planning to download the upgrade later tnite when I get home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.