Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Really disappointing with the RSS features disappearing from Safari :mad: Woudn't have updated if I'd known. RSS links open up in Mail now. No use for me. Will be switching to Firefox :(

And with Mountain Lion, Mail also no longer supports RSS...

Safari 6 shows a message with link to download any of the RSS readers available on the AppStore.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Activity VIEW window disappeared.... sooo disappointing...

The activity view disapearing is lame. I have found keepvid.com works for youtube and vimeo videos, but I have to use download helper or something in firefox to get liveleak videos without activity view, and not sure if it works as often or for misc things as the activity view, and nothing like it for safari that I know of.

wtf apple. :mad:

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
The activity view disapearing is lame. I have found keepvid.com works for youtube and vimeo videos, but I have to use download helper or something in firefox to get liveleak videos without activity view, and not sure if it works as often or for misc things as the activity view, and nothing like it for safari that I know of.

This really sucks.. what was the problem leaving it in there? Between this and the search in the address I am not sure I like safari anymore.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
Removed download rate also

It appears the download rate that used to show up in the same line with how much of a file has been downloaded has also been removed.

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada

Maybe you can try this: Flash cache saver, works for me...

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/Flash-Cache-Saver.shtml

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Activity VIEW window disappeared.... sooo disappointing...

Use Chrome's Developer tools > Network until someone finds a workaround.

This is a big problem for me. I'm wondering if we can make a copy of Safari 5.1.7 and keep it alongside 6.0.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
And with Mountain Lion, Mail also no longer supports RSS...

Safari 6 shows a message with link to download any of the RSS readers available on the AppStore.

Anyone recommend a good RSS reader? Apart from Safari 5....

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
Can someone suggest an answer:

Why, why, why does safari not have the option to "ask where to download" option for file downloading??? It is handy to be able to choose destination rather than having it set to a single destination.

Every other browser has this. Why does apple refuse to put this into safari?

It's honestly the ONLY reason I don't use it, but would if it had this feature.

:confused::confused::confused:

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2005
I use NetNewsWire (http://netnewswireapp.com/). It's a good app, but I don't like the fact that since the big splash regarding Black Pixel buying NetNewsWire they've made no updates in 9 months. Why they'd buy it only to make it appear to be abandonware I don't know, but that's what it feels like.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I use NetNewsWire (http://netnewswireapp.com/). It's a good app, but I don't like the fact that since the big splash regarding Black Pixel buying NetNewsWire they've made no updates in 9 months. Why they'd buy it only to make it appear to be abandonware I don't know, but that's what it feels like.

Thanks. will give it a go. Don't know why they took it away, it makes perfect sense to have feeds in your browser.

"MT-NewsWatcher" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. Hmm

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
hey all
dont know if anyone else noticed this. however the new safari on lion was much faster, however now i have mountain lion, it seems to be slower loading up web pages. its like you get that blue mark going from left to right on the address bar, a little slower. anyone else having this problem?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011

I like to use Google reader. I usually have it set as my homepage. and leave the tab open most of the day to check on my RSS Feeds.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Holy crap, these GIANT tabs are 100% terrible. Wtf, Apple? I want the regular tabs back. They were much easier to manage that way.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
Has anyone found a quick button combo (in the keyboard) for Reader in Safari?..... Reader is placed far in top right of Safari and i dont want to scroll up there and hit it...

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Safari is definitely really snappier on my old 2007 Mac mini.

One other thing, is it me or Youtube now automatically switches to its new HTML5 player with Safari 6?

That's nice and all for HTML5 and open standards, but unfortunately the HTML5 player is simply unusable fullscreen on this Mac (less than 1 fps), even playing a 360p video. The Flash version can play 720p video without a hitch.

So I had to go to the Youtube HTML5 page and "leave the beta" to get the Flash player back.

Anyone can verify that this Youtube switch to HMTL5 is happening on Safari 6?

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
thats a really stupid new feature, yet again apple hiding or removing useful and important power user options... i despair :-(

I a thousand years I would never have found that!!???!

Thank you. I would NEVER have figured that out. The Develop menu should have been default ON and then you could turn off if you so desired. Who is gonna ever figure that one out??

"Who is gonna ever figure that one out??" - How about every power user? The whole idea of power user features is that they're NOT visible for normal users. Having the develop menu ON by default is a horrible idea.

1. Safari->Develop->Inspector (command-alt-i)
2. Stopwatch icon in top left corner
3. Network requests

On that topic, the new Developer Inspector is a mixed bag -- it's now really, REALLY powerful (showing steps / time breakdowns for render steps, showing the actual DOM tree, etc.), but it's a horrible design compromise. It's absolutely unusable unless it's filling up >50% screen width. I used to have Safari and the Inspector both set to exactly 50% width, which would give me a nice 960px Safari window, and the inspector fully visible. Now, with all of the horizontal space taken up by sub menus, the network activity pane is absolutely unusable. 1cm wide columns with all text shortened by ellipsis. Not a fan. Will have to use more horizontal split layout now, which is not great for web dev IMO.

Lion is a security risk as it introduces Versions, so he's entirely right not to.

Please. Yawn. Go ahead and explain how Versions is a security risk. I know you're DYING to go on a rant, so consider your hook bit.

PgherinLev

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Leverkusen, Germany
Cannot remove Safari 6

Tried to revert back to Safari 5 because I don't care for the Unibar and fat tabs - no can do. Safari cannot be removed or modified because it is required by OS X (or something to that effect).

Trymee

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
Can someone suggest an answer:

Why, why, why does safari not have the option to "ask where to download" option for file downloading??? It is handy to be able to choose destination rather than having it set to a single destination.

Every other browser has this. Why does apple refuse to put this into safari?

It's honestly the ONLY reason I don't use it, but would if it had this feature.

:confused::confused::confused:

Two finger tap, or right click > select Download linked file as > specify location

If you don't want to use the default Download folder and use another specific folder, set up a folder action - your downloads will go to that folder.

----------

Has anyone found a quick button combo (in the keyboard) for Reader in Safari?..... Reader is placed far in top right of Safari and i dont want to scroll up there and hit it...

Is and always has been ⌘-shift-R - look in the Menus, keyboard shortcuts are listed right next to the action, if there isn't one listed you can create your own in System Preferences > Keyboard

if you use the excellent free BetterTouchTool you can program any swipe or tap you like, for years I have used 4 finger tap to enter and leave reader - couldn't live without it.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Actually, about the new Safari, I dislike the omnibar, the large tabs, and the removal of the Activity Window. I'll probably. I'll just have Safari 5.1.7 running on Mountain Lion if I can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.