Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:40 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mountain Lion OS X 10.8 Launch Day Roundup

Today, Apple launched OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion for $19.99 on the Mac App Store. The latest version OS X provides a number of new features borrowed from iOS as well as some Mac specific ones. This overview video from Apple provides a quick look at the biggest new features.

Other sites have put together more detailed videos showing smaller changes and a more detailed look at AirPlay mirroring.

In general, the reception has been positive amongst reviewers, especially given the $19.99 price tag. The launch, however, has resulted in the removal of OS X Lion from the Mac App Store. While this isn't too big a surprise, it could leave some owners of older Macs stuck if their Mac isn't supported by OS X Mountain Lion but were supported by OS X Lion.

The other major hiccup in today's launch was the distribution of codes for Apple's Up To Date program. The Up To Date program offers Mountain Lion OS X to customers free of charge if they have bought a new Mac since June 11th. Apple seems to be aware of the issue and is working on reissuing faulty codes.

There have been a number of OS X Mountain Lion related software updates and news items today. If you aren't following our full RSS feed, you may have missed the many updates on our Mac Blog today:

- Adobe and Avid Report Only Minor Issues With Mountain Lion
- Microsoft Confirms Office 2011 and 2008 Compatibility with OS X Mountain Lion
- Create a Bootable Mountain Lion USB Key Installer
- Apple Updates iPhoto, iMovie and Aperture Alongside OS X Mountain Lion
- Apple Updates iWork with iCloud and Dictation for OS X Mountain Lion
- Apple Launches 'OS X Server' for Mountain Lion for $19.99

Tidbits offers a nice overview of tips and little details from Mountain Lion. Macworld has posted a number of detailed looks at Mountain Lion's Safari, Messages, and Reminders. Finally, MacRumors readers have been posting in our Mountain Lion forum for questions and tracking issues.

Article Link: Mountain Lion OS X 10.8 Launch Day Roundup
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Still waiting on my upgrade code!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:46 PM   #3
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

No news item about the release of Xcode 4.4 with the 10.8 SDK/iOS 5.1 SDK (Xcode 4.5 will contain the iOS 6 SDK) ?

Xcode 4.4 with OS X 10.8 SDK/iOS 5.1 SDK
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:46 PM   #4
MacintoshUser86
macrumors newbie

So much faster!

I have an early 2008 iMac and wow I've noticed an increase in speed that I haven't seen since Leopard that was original installed on my iMac. Snow Leopard was quick too but Lion was pretty sluggish. I can't get over how fast Sarfari is now too, super quick! Good job Apple.

For $20 Mountain Lion is 100% worth it.
MacintoshUser86 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:48 PM   #5
Peace
macrumors P6

That's an old video since it shows Facebook integration built in. I think it's still in dev. stage.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Galatian
macrumors 6502

Uh so if I ever have to reinstall Lion on a Mac that is unsupported by Mountain Lion I can't download it again although having paid for it?

Update: Nevermind. Seems like people who already purchased it can still redownload it!

Last edited by Galatian; Jul 25, 2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Update
Galatian is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:54 PM   #7
applefan289
macrumors 68000

Another thing I like about Mountain Lion is that now it doesn't "auto save" and there seems to be less of a focus on the "Resume" feature.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:56 PM   #8
outphase
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatian View Post
Uh so if I ever have to reinstall Lion on a Mac that is unsupported by Mountain Lion I can't download it again although having paid for it?
Why wouldn't you be able to download it again? http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/...mac-app-store/
outphase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:00 PM   #9
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefan289 View Post
Another thing I like about Mountain Lion is that now it doesn't "auto save" and there seems to be less of a focus on the "Resume" feature.
But it still works as in Lion. When I open and edit an existing document, the document will be auto saved when I close it, without any further notice. When I quit an application with open documents, it still saves them for me and reopens them when I open the app the next time. The only difference in Mountain Lion is that you can change this behaviour in System Preferences. You can disable the resume function and auto save if you want to, but they are not enabled by default.

I have become used to this anyway and actually quite like it. I close apps all the time instead of closing the individual documents, just to quickly get back to my work. The same goes for auto save, which ensures that all my edits are saved, even when I don’t think about it.
KALLT is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:06 PM   #10
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
If you aren't following our full RSS feed, you may have missed the many updates on our Mac Blog today:
Well, I'd love to, but Safari doesn't support RSS anymore
Nermal is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:06 PM   #11
TimAlia
macrumors newbie

That facebook icon is not showing up in my settings...
TimAlia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:08 PM   #12
Rocketman
macrumors 603

So let me get this straight. The update process does not weed out incompatible Macs so they do not forever feeze?

I have a bricked iPhone 1 with unaccessable critical data on it and also on my iTunes program. How can I see it even if I have to manually retype it?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:09 PM   #13
appleguy
macrumors 6502

Any difference to the GM version?

I currently have the GM version is there any reason to download via the MacApp store?
appleguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:10 PM   #14
Nickerbocker
macrumors regular

Hmm... It doesn't directly effect me, but I think they should probably put Lion back on the store with a big message saying that if your Mac is supported you should get Mountain Lion. The difference in price would probably sway people to the more up-to-date OS.
Nickerbocker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:10 PM   #15
frunkis54
macrumors 65816

Yes but Lion is only removed from the App store and not everyones previously purchased Apps correct.
frunkis54 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:11 PM   #16
stukick
macrumors regular

After using 10.8 for 2 weeks, I have to say, glad I didn't pay $19.99.
stukick is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:11 PM   #17
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Well, I'd love to, but Safari doesn't support RSS anymore
You've answered my question.

I had read (in disbelief) that 10.8.x would not support RSS. A decision I find rather curious, and quite disappointing. I had planned on giving Safari another try, since I haven't used it much lately. But without RSS it's crippled, at least for my usage.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:14 PM   #18
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
In general, the reception has been positive amongst reviewers, especially given the $19.99 price tag.
And the haters and nitpickers continue to look past this part. For the super low price tag, and relatively rapid development time since Lion, I think this is a worthy refinement of last year's OS.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:16 PM   #19
Asclepio
macrumors 6502

they only changed the wallpaper! propaganda, propaganda!
Asclepio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:20 PM   #20
Windlasher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacintoshUser86 View Post
I have an early 2008 iMac and wow I've noticed an increase in speed that I haven't seen since Leopard that was original installed on my iMac. Snow Leopard was quick too but Lion was pretty sluggish. I can't get over how fast Sarfari is now too, super quick! Good job Apple.

yeah... lion dragged ass on my 8 core mac pro tower with 16gb of memory.

this seems to be quite nicely done and speedy.

NOW - if they would only put back the ability to search network drives... ill be happy.
Windlasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:22 PM   #21
sachisme
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stukick View Post
After using 10.8 for 2 weeks, I have to say, glad I didn't pay $19.99.
Why do you say so? I'm on the fence about upgrading. I have a early 2009 MBP machine with 2GB RAM and I loved SL every single time i used it.

my system almost died (slow and often beach ball) after I upgraded to Lion, so much so that I use Windows 7 pretty much all the time. I'm hoping that ML will bring me back to MAC OS which I loved but scared that it might not give me any improvement in stability or speed over Lion.
sachisme is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:22 PM   #22
SamSmith
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacintoshUser86 View Post

I agree. Safari sure does feel snappier

Last edited by SamSmith; Jul 28, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
SamSmith is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:24 PM   #23
frunkis54
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSmith View Post
I agree. Safari sure does feel snappier
never gets old....
frunkis54 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:25 PM   #24
Jperkinski
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAlia View Post
That facebook icon is not showing up in my settings...
I am having the same experience. I noticed in the video that the Facebook option was right there with Twitter, Gmail etc., but on my machine I don't see a Facebook option. Everything else appears to be there.
Jperkinski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:32 PM   #25
thelonelylimo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
That's an old video since it shows Facebook integration built in. I think it's still in dev. stage.
the Apple TV at 4:21 is using the previous UI.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion