Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Is there a real reason for this or is it just BS like many of the features left off older iphones? I can tolerate it on a mobile device but if they start leaving key features off of my computer for no reason (because lets face it even a core 2 duo has enough power to do any of these features) my 2010 imac will be my last mac

Every hardware omission in Mountain Lion thus far has had a valid technical reason, however frivolous you consider it.

1. Power Nap doesn't support regular SSDs because the power requirements differ compared to on-board flash storage.

-Not sure about the excl of 2010 MBAs though. Maybe the Nvidia chipset lacks key features or iSeries chips are needed as some have pointed out. *shrug*

2. No Airplay support for pre-2011 Macs because Apple leverages Intel's QuickSync which is only found on Sandy Bridge chips or newer

3. Lack of installation support for older Macs is because Mountain Lion's Kernel is exclusively 64-bit top to bottom. If your Mac can't boot the 64-bit kernel and/or doesn't have 64-bit GPU drivers then you're SOL.

Last edited:

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Up until yesterday Apple stated that PowerNap would work with MacBook Air models from 2010. Now all of the sudden it's 2011 MacBook Air or newer. Something ain't kosher here...

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
My 2010 MBA has a SSD and I don't get this :(.

It doesn't seem like such an amazing feature anyway.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Up until yesterday Apple stated that PowerNap would work with MacBook Air models from 2010. Now all of the sudden it's 2011 MacBook Air or newer. Something ain't kosher here...

Apple decided they needed more sales, that's all probably.

lukasm

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
I was wondering where it was. I looked under energy earlier and couldn't find it

I was even more confused by this when I typed Power Nap into the search box and it highlighted Energy Saver but there was no option in there! All fixed now :)

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Is there a real reason for this or is it just BS like many of the features left off older iphones? I can tolerate it on a mobile device but if they start leaving key features off of my computer for no reason (because lets face it even a core 2 duo has enough power to do any of these features) my 2010 imac will be my last mac

Yes it is a vast Apple conspiracy directed at you specifically. This is not a feature that requires CPU "power" btw.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009

It installed in the beta on my 2011 MBA then was pulled and not in subsequent betas or the GM. If it is true that they said it would work in 2009 MBA (proof?) then the probably found something they didn't like.

Last edited:

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007

Yup. I'm really disappointed. PowerNap was one feature I was looking forward to.

No AirPlay and now no PowerNap. Grrrrr........ The computer is not even two years old, and already features are missing.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Apple decided they needed more sales, that's all probably.

Yeah it's a scam but Apple didn't fool you!

----------

No you are supposed to assume it's some master scheme by Apple to deprive you of a feature you didn't know or care about anyway followed by a rant about how you will never buy another Apple product even though you know you will. Extra points if you claim to know there is no reason Apple could not have added it to whatever it is you own.

Every hardware omission in Mountain Lion thus far has had a valid technical reason, however frivolous you consider it.

1. Power Nap doesn't support regular SSDs because the power requirements differ compared to on-board flash storage. Not sure about the excl of 2010 MBAs though. Maybe a controller issue. *shrug*

2. No Airplay support for pre-2011 Macs because Apple leverages Intel's QuickSync which is only found on Sandy Bridge chips or newer

3. Lack of installation support for older Macs is because Mountain Lion's Kernel is exclusively 64-bit top to bottom. If your Mac can't boot the 64-bit kernel and/or doesn't have 64-bit GPU drivers then you're SOL.

----------

Yup. I'm really disappointed. PowerNap was one feature I was looking forward to.

No AirPlay and now no PowerNap. Grrrrr........ The computer is not even two years old, and already features are missing.

"2. No Airplay support for pre-2011 Macs because Apple leverages Intel's QuickSync which is only found on Sandy Bridge chips or newer"

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Is this a new requirement? I thought PowerNap only required flash storage and SSD, and initially didn't state 2011 Airs or newer only.

Intel is touting a similar feature called "Smart Connect" for certain Ultrabooks. I think that certain Intel chipsets have features that help make this possible. The first notebooks that met the Ultrabook standard were Sandy Bridge based, so that's why I'm guessing this feature doesn't support 2010 MacBook Airs.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I understand that. It doesn't work on Late 2010 Macbook Air? It meets those requirements.

grrr... asides from thunderbolt and "i5", there is nothing that really separates the mid 2010 MBA's from the 2011's. :(

The Intel Sandy Bridge chipset is a big difference between the 2010s and 2011s. It includes technology that makes Power Nap possible.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-connect-technology.html

The Smyrk

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2012
Austin, TX
It will be cool to see this extended to third party apps. I could definitely see this working with Transmission for example or any other app the you want to keep actively running after you close to sleep (copying/moving files also comes to mind). I also noticed they keep stressing backing up to Time Capsule as a key feature of Power Nap. My guess is that this extends to any kind of Time Machine backup. For example, having external drive connected to AEBS should still back up fine with this feature? I guess I'm just lucky these features are available to me and my 2011 MBA, feel bad for the guys left out :(

MRSooner

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
I have a Mid 2011 13" MBA Mountain Lion and it says this firmware update is not supported on my system....not sure why. Any ideas?

PJMAN2952

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
What about for the MacBook Pro 13 inch early 2011 model? Hope we get an update. This feature is cool.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006

According to what?

I have a Mid 2011 13" MBA Mountain Lion and it says this firmware update is not supported on my system....not sure why. Any ideas?

You attempted to install through the Mac App Store?

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota

evq

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Waukesha, Wisconsin
So are there technical differences between the blade-style SSDs and the 2.5" factory installed SSDs? What I'm asking is if something in the SATA interface is what's keeping this from working on my Early 2011 MBP with a factory SSD. Because I'd certainly love Power Nap on this thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.