Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AllThingsD reports that just over 48 hours after launch, OS X Mountain Lion is already accounting for over 3% of web traffic coming from the Mac platform. The data, which comes from analytics firm Chitika, shows that Mountain Lion's share has risen quickly from roughly 0.25% prior to the public launch.
"Moreover, based on Apple's June 2012 announcement that there are currently 66 million Mac users in the wild, we can infer that 2.11 million Mac users downloaded OS X Mountain Lion in the past 48 hours," Chitika said. "Using this figure, if we assume that 90 percent of these users paid to upgrade, OS X Mountain Lion generated $38 million in revenue for Apple in the past 48 hours."
chitika_mountain_lion_48_hours.jpg

Adoption has been even faster among those who closely follow Apple news, with 9to5Mac reporting yesterday that over half of its Mac visitors were already on Mountain Lion after hitting 10% even before the public launch.

Last year, Apple touted one million downloads of OS X Lion in the first day of availability, but the company has yet to release any official early figures for OS X Mountain Lion.

With Apple having just released new and updated models of its popular MacBook Pro and MacBook Air machines last month, many users are eligible for Apple's Up-to-Date program, which offers a free upgrade to Mountain Lion. Apple has, however, been experiencing some issues with the program, with a number of users only just now receiving redemption codes to allow them to download OS X Mountain Lion.

Article Link: OS X Mountain Lion Already Accounting for 3% of Mac Traffic

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
I could be part of that traffic too if those bumholes would only send my upgrade code!

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
And if they give the redeem codes to the people who deserved them at the first day, that number could have been way higher...

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Wow--that's not a bad number at all. OS X is becoming as quick as iOS is to upgrade, and it's $20 more!

Inakto

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
toronto
I think it would be naive to assume that 3 percent of all mac users are already on mountain lion. I already have mountain lion but my mom doesn't. She also would never visit 9to5 mac.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I could be part of that traffic too if those bumholes would only send my upgrade code!

What's funnier is those of us who presently have Mountain Lion downloaded but are taking our sweet time before upgrading (I've been slowly making backups and checking application compatibility before I make the jump), laughing our butts off at you guys desperate to get and install the upgrade. ;)

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
...which means 97% isn't coming from ML. Doesn't sound like a triumph to me.

Wish I could down vote this for mathematical ineptitude.... ML has been out for 2 days now and you're saying it's not a success with that huge spike in traffic? Do you know how to do math? :rolleyes:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Wish I could down vote this for mathematical ineptitude.... ML has been out for 2 days now and you're saying it's not a success with that huge spike in traffic? Do you know how to do math? :rolleyes:

Every day I find another reason to remember why the down-vote buttons were actually a really good idea.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
...which means 97% isn't coming from ML. Doesn't sound like a triumph to me.

So, what you're saying is that if the DAY AFTER Windows 8 comes out, if less than 37.5 million people have installed and are running Windows 8, it's a failure?

I see. I'll compile the stats for you on October 27, 2012, the day after Windows 8 is released.

-------------------------------------

Windows current users: 1.25 billion x 3% = 37.5 million

Source: http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/supersite-blog-39/windows8/windows-charge-numbers-141534

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I think it would be naive to assume that 3 percent of all mac users are already on mountain lion. I already have mountain lion but my mom doesn't. She also would never visit 9to5 mac.
you are naive; it's 3% based on the data pool they used. I could see 3% definitely possible; out of a 100 people, 97 don't have it and 3 do making a lot of sense. Techies like to have the latest and I'm pretty sure there is more than 3% of OSX users that love to have the latest. Hell, that's just 3times as much people as there are in this forum alone.

I'm one of those in the 97% because I can't update to ML and stuck in Lion :(
I wonder how many out of those 66million can actually update to ML. :apple:

ldmatson

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
Updates

What I would like to know is why I have already had to install EFI 1.5 four times? Same blurb in the App Store and, as far as I can tell, the same file size.

L

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
What's funnier is those of us who presently have Mountain Lion downloaded but are taking our sweet time before upgrading (I've been slowly making backups and checking application compatibility before I make the jump), laughing our butts off at you guys desperate to get and install the upgrade. ;)

what are you worried about happening? So when you finish your backing up and compatibility checking, you will just install ML and start to enjoy the changes like everyone else. Just later......

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I'm no mathmagician, but I think it is safe to say that with the relative ease of upgrading and the low price point, Mountain Lion will be an extremely successful rollout for Apple.

We'll get more official numbers from Tim Cook in September or October during the iPhone keynote.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
what are you worried about happening? So when you finish your backing up and compatibility checking, you will just install ML and start to enjoy the changes like everyone else. Just later......

Who said anything about worried ? I just had other things to do this week.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
How do they get these statistics?

Typically these companies are providing traffic tracking for a handful of websites and or apps and pull it from that.

Which makes the numbers suspect depending on what the sources are. The truth is that the number could be much higher, or much lower.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
How do they get these statistics?
Web browsers send identification about what program it is (software name, version) as well as operating system platform. Website operators use this information to serve up the best code for the particular visitor.

Try this site:

http://sqa.fyicenter.com/Online_Test_Tools/Show_Web_Browser_Information.php

and press the Start button.

Analytics firms use a variety of sources to measure Internet activity. Many are focused on display ads. It just so happens that Chitika is an online advertising firm, so they are basically looking at the systems that are accessing Chitika advertisements. These firms not only sell ads, but also provide metrics on the effectiveness of each one, etc.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
I'm not on the list at all right for Lion or Mountain Lion. The installer doesn't complete and internet recovery tries to recover to Mountain Lion instead of Lion and my mac isn't registered with Apple as having Mountain Lion yet, so that fails as well.

I've argued that the digital installation covers everything you can do with a disk, but I guess things can go wrong if the installer is corrupted as I think is the case with mine. I made a thumb drive with the installer before attempting the install and that doesn't work either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.