Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sairo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
The Netherlands, Almere
So im running ML for a couple of days now and found out that the cut and paste command doesn't seem to work.
I can copy and paste, but when it comes to cutting it just cancels the selection wherever it is in its original place.

Anybody else ran into this and knows a fix?

hdfatboy2003

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Cmd-X is working for me on Mt Lion.

oooppss .. missed the part about doing it in Finder. Doesn't work in Finder.

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Im talking about command+x and then command+v. X for cutting and C for copying.

In Finder, you don't use cut/copy in that way. You select the file(s) you want, you press cmd+c. Then to move instead of copy, you press alt+cmd+v instead of cmd+v.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
They most of changed it then because in Lion I had absolutely no problems.

Nope, never worked in Lion. Either you're remembering wrong, or you installed a tweak of some type (although I don't recall any). Cut has never been enabled in the Finder in OS X.

jW

MMMalex

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
I'm glad I found this thread. I had no clue you could c/p in ML before reading this haha. I recently started a pathfinder trial too just to be able to c/p. Guess I won't need to buy it anymore

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I'm glad I found this thread. I had no clue you could c/p in ML before reading this haha. I recently started a pathfinder trial too just to be able to c/p. Guess I won't need to buy it anymore

I'm the same way sometimes. If something doesn't work exactly like in Windows, it's like I don't even take the time to google it but just assume it's not doable and start looking for an alternative solution :)

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
lol i did not know about alt+cmd+v either and ive been using a mac since the ibook days :eek:
That's because it's utterly unintuitive.

MS Windows can Cut/Copy/Paste files and it works very well. The Cut only occurs if you make a Paste. Apple should copy this behavior; it's very useful.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
That's because it's utterly unintuitive.

MS Windows can Cut/Copy/Paste files and it works very well. The Cut only occurs if you make a Paste. Apple should copy this behavior; it's very useful.

Please elaborate on how ctrl+x is intuitive for "cut" and ctrl+v for "paste", and how it's more useful to press ctrl+x, ctrl+v than to press cmd+c, alt+cmd+v...

If you would have learned the Apple way of doing it first (i.e. cmd+c to choose the file(s), then cmd+v to copy or alt+cmd+v to move), you would have been all like "ctrl+x to CUT? It makes no sense!".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.