Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Hi,

i've been told Objective C is the main coding language used for iOS apps and OS X. I was also told the best way to learn it is to first learn flash, then C and then finally Objective C, is this the best way?

Thanks everyone!

monsieurpaul

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Hi,

i've been told Objective C is the main coding language used for iOS apps and OS X. I was also told the best way to learn it is to first learn flash, then C and then finally Objective C, is this the best way?

Thanks everyone!

Flash ? I don't know what Flash is doing on your list.

For C, indeed it is helpful to "learn" C before learning objective C, but you can spend years learning C...

Some excellent books on Objective-C are written for the absolute beginner and will give you some basic knowledge on C and programmation in general. I'd recommend these 2:

Programming in Objective-C 2.0 from Stephen Kochan

Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch guide by Aaron Hillegass

softwareguy256

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
um perhaps the obvious answer is 99% times the correct one, learn objective C by using objective C.

Hi,

Thanks everyone!

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Actionscript => C doesn't make a lick of sense IMO. You could go that path but you may as well just start with Javascript... a far more useful skill these days.

My journey was

Java->C++->C#->Objective C->Perl->Objective C round 2.

You don't have to know C to learn Objective C but there are times where knowing the C type system and some other tricks do come in handy. Most of the time though, you can comfortably live in @interface/@implementation land and not worry about the intrinsics of C. Beginner books tend to have enough of a C primer that you'll be functionally literate in C.

kthomp

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
I'd recommend the Big Nerd Ranch books. A background in C will help IMHO. Particularly wrt pointers and memory.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
I went AppleScript -> TiBASIC (Most convoluted strain of BASIC ever) -> C. It was a little painful, but I've got a good handle on those languages now. Tried to go on to Java, was too painful. (I stopped reading when I found out that a Java source file is not compiled linearly) I then tried Objective-C, and it made a little sense, but I desperately missed pointers and it didn't stick.

I love pointer based languages. OO languages hurt too much for me.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I then tried Objective-C, and it made a little sense, but I desperately missed pointers and it didn't stick.

Objective-C has pointers. Every class instance you create uses pointers to access that instance of the class. Objective-C is simply an extension on top of C so anything you can do in C you can do in Objective-C including everything to do with pointers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.