1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Whats the best way to learn objective c?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by gusping, Jul 31, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Hi,

i've been told Objective C is the main coding language used for iOS apps and OS X. I was also told the best way to learn it is to first learn flash, then C and then finally Objective C, is this the best way?

Thanks everyone!

2. macrumors 6502

rdowty

I found the Stanford podcasts on iTunes helpful.

3. macrumors regular

Flash ? I don't know what Flash is doing on your list.

For C, indeed it is helpful to "learn" C before learning objective C, but you can spend years learning C...

Some excellent books on Objective-C are written for the absolute beginner and will give you some basic knowledge on C and programmation in general. I'd recommend these 2:

Programming in Objective-C 2.0 from Stephen Kochan

Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch guide by Aaron Hillegass

4. macrumors regular

um perhaps the obvious answer is 99% times the correct one, learn objective C by using objective C.

5. macrumors 6502

Actionscript => C doesn't make a lick of sense IMO. You could go that path but you may as well just start with Javascript... a far more useful skill these days.

My journey was

Java->C++->C#->Objective C->Perl->Objective C round 2.

You don't have to know C to learn Objective C but there are times where knowing the C type system and some other tricks do come in handy. Most of the time though, you can comfortably live in @interface/@implementation land and not worry about the intrinsics of C. Beginner books tend to have enough of a C primer that you'll be functionally literate in C.

6. macrumors newbie

I'd recommend the Big Nerd Ranch books. A background in C will help IMHO. Particularly wrt pointers and memory.

7. macrumors 6502

I went AppleScript -> TiBASIC (Most convoluted strain of BASIC ever) -> C. It was a little painful, but I've got a good handle on those languages now. Tried to go on to Java, was too painful. (I stopped reading when I found out that a Java source file is not compiled linearly) I then tried Objective-C, and it made a little sense, but I desperately missed pointers and it didn't stick.

I love pointer based languages. OO languages hurt too much for me.

8. macrumors 603

Cromulent

Objective-C has pointers. Every class instance you create uses pointers to access that instance of the class. Objective-C is simply an extension on top of C so anything you can do in C you can do in Objective-C including everything to do with pointers.