Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cruisencode

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
No, because it was the fourth generation. Steve Jobs literally said that today they were introducing 'iPhone 4; the fourth generation iPhone.'

Yes, those two statements are/were true. However, he didn't say that they called it the iPhone 4 because it was the fourth generation iPhone.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
They have the same design for 3 years now. They can definitely improve, if they don't it only means they're lazy:rolleyes:

I seem to recall "leaks" indicating a change in design with the new iPhone. The biggest complaint regarding the iPhone 4/4s seems to be its fragility; the new iPhone is supposed to have a stronger glass front and a redesigned back plating. A lack of overarching change doesn't indicate Apple being lazy, but rather having already moved towards design perfection.

Yes, those two statements are/were true. However, he didn't say that they called it the iPhone 4 because it was the fourth generation iPhone.

I think it's pretty obvious why they called it the iPhone 4.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I agree with your assessment, but I believe Apple also needed to use the 'wasted space' to accommodate a larger battery inside, hence the reason to move the camera above the earpiece and shift the home button down a bit. Since the phone will most likely be thinner, they'll need to keep battery life around what the 4S is getting, and this might be the only other way to do it.
They could also have used more dense batteries - oh no, that will cost them an additional $1 (which means possibly $30 million per quarter (if they sell 30 million iPhones)).

I think they keep it like this, because it's iPhone's 'signature' If you see a phone with one button on the bottom, and two empty spaces on the top and bottom than you know it's an iPhone.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
?? = 5 (3 -> 4 -> 5) :D

And I believe it went to 4 because 4 comes after 3. ;)

Oh, and they skipped 2 because they wanted to include 3G in the name (since it had 3G). This also serves as proof that they don't care about the generation when numbering the iPhone.

I think that it will be the iPhone 4GS+ LTE EXTREME FTW Edition (6th Generation)

That's why they needed a bigger screen...so they could fit the name on the back. You'll see.

Take that Samsung! ;)

GL

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
I know if it ain't broke don't fix it, but what about innovation and progress... lets move forward with something different:p

You know what would be innovative? A phone I don't have to worry about scratching, breaking or getting wet....

Make an iPhone we can take into the pool!

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Said it before, those saying making the phone bigger will make it worse are basing that on current design, make it a little bigger but taper it and you can fit a 4.3", 3:2 ratio screen (ideal largest phone screen size before it gets too large) but still be easy to handle, arguably easier than the square-edged iPhone 4/S

iPhone5-1.jpg

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
They could also have used more dense batteries - oh no, that will cost them an additional $1 (which means possibly $30 million per quarter (if they sell 30 million iPhones)).

I think they keep it like this, because it's iPhone's 'signature' If you see a phone with one button on the bottom, and two empty spaces on the top and bottom than you know it's an iPhone.

You have a point about the signature. But I'll bring up one more point: patent infringement. If Apple strays away from that signature look, the Android suits would be all over it.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I think it would look strange with an asymmetrical front panel. Also, don't forget that there are times when you might be using the phone upside down and that space above the screen works the same way as the space below does - allowing you a place to grip with your thumb.

Does anyone have photoshop who fancies mocking up what this design would look like with less space either above or below the screen, or less space at both ends? I get the feeling it would look really odd.

You have a great point about the symmetry. I hadn't thought of that.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
At least his fingers wont be getting pregnant anytime soon!!!!

Finger condoms prevent any fingerprints from being transferred to the parts that might be used to identify the person or persons involved in this leak. This clearly shows that they are aware that what they are doing is breaking confidentiality and they are risking the future success of their company and everyone’s jobs.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I just can't believe they didn't go for something like this...

Now this is a screen size that I think is a perfect solution, not too big not too small, even just a hair smaller like 4.3" would be alright but not this stretched out garbage were getting.

The HTC One X in your picture is the same 16:9 aspect ratio as the rumored iPhone. So both phones would be stretched out. And the size difference is just .3".

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
is Apple really going with the same form / case design?
I know if it ain't broke don't fix it, but what about innovation and progress... lets move forward with something different:p

To not change a working exterior design simply to change it would be innovative. To I say leave it be and give me better internals.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
iPhone 4S II, then Samsung will sue Apple for copying. Or maybe iPhone 4S IIL, the L being for long.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
This is nearly 100% sure to not happen, but food for thought:

Wouldn't it be interesting if Apple re-released the 4s with this new housing as the lower-cost model, and then introduced the new iteration of iPhone with the same size screen but a new housing? Then it would be "innovative" design for new phones as everyone is screaming for, but all new phones being sold (assuming the drop the 4 and 3gs) would have the same size screen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's face it - the hardware probably won't see a refresh again until 2014, which means their single telephone product will have seen only minor tweaks in four years.

So you're definition of "hardware" is simply "casing"? Because that's just silly. If the iPhone 4s would have been inside a different housing, would it have been a "major hardware refresh" even if everything inside the phone stayed the same?

Who cares if the internals get a new house - the iPhone 4 design is attractive and functional.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Thats exactly why Apple is purposely leaking these designs and they are fakes. To get people off their scent and then they will unveil a totally new iPhone...

Or a phone that is exactly the same as the 4 and 4s.

And I wouldn't be so sure that Apple is leaking these, they might not be. They just are validating the claims by trying to shut it down

As for the claims, it's unlikely to impossible that anyone has real parts at this point so I take any of these types of reveals by parts or repair shops with n iceberg sized grain of salt. Especially after the teardrop last year

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
You mean "The new iPhone" or "iPhone 6". The 5th one came out last year.

Sorry to have to correct you, but... iPhone 7 :)

Seventh iPhone because the iPhone 4 got a second version before the 4S: the CDMA model with a new antenna layout and mute switch position. Visibly different (different black antenna bands, lack of SIM tray) and not even fully compatible with all the same cases, requiring a new version of Apple’s Bumper Case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.