Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last month during the Opening Ceremonies for the Summer Olympics, Apple debuted a series of three ads focused on an "Apple Genius" helping customers in unusual situations. The ads received a relatively poor reception, with some observers objecting to the portrayal of customers as clueless and others simply not finding the ads as humorous as they were clearly intended to be.

apple_genius_ad_labor_day.jpg

While Apple continues to feature the ads on its Mac site, a number of people have noticed that the ads have not re-aired on television since the opening weekend of the Olympics. In line with that observation, Mashable reports that Apple has indeed stopped airing the ads. But rather than the move being related to their mediocre reception, a representative for Apple's ad agency claims that the ads were only ever intended to run for that brief period of time.
A rep for TBWA/Media/Arts Lab, Apple's ad agency, says the ads are not running anymore, but that was the plan all along. The ads were intended only for a "first run" during the Olympics, which meant just the first weekend of the Games, the rep says.
The new ads also remain on Apple's YouTube page, although the company quietly removed and reposted its Martin Scorsese iPhone ad to the channel late yesterday, leading to speculation that the company prefers to have that ad rather than the newer Genius ads at the top of its feed.

Article Link: Apple Stops Airing 'Genius' Ads on Olympic Television Broadcasts

aajeev

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
Lots of people are pretty clueless about their product. This goes the same for both Mac and PC users. I don't mean it in a bad way, but there are people that never cares to learn anything about it. At the first sign of trouble they simply call up a friend to ask question.

tommy060289

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
good. They were crap.

Apples products have always been about Elegance, beauty, simplicity.

These adverts were like the terrible adverts to come to expect from mere average companies selling junk at ten a penny. Not Apple

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
Just watched the ads.
Seem like high school projects to me.
Perhaps that's insulting to high school students.

D.

dwhittington

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Funny

Can't blame Apple for the so-called "clueless" portrayal of some customers. Anyone who has overheard a one-to-one session would understand this.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The next ad will feature Ellen Feiss asking for a Genius to help her set up her knockoff Ultrabook so she can create a video while she's on her way to the hospital to have a baby.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Well, not having watched any of the Olympics, I missed them but having watched them on the 'Mac site', I think they are actually pretty cool.

I loved the middle one. I've been in Best Try's Apple kiosk and heard that same utterance from their 'educated and capable' sales people. 'It's just like a Mac, only easier to use' is one of the neck snapping things I've heard from a number of people.

Like as if Windows 7 is 'easy to use' compared to like anything other than Linux...

And Apple does have a history of one time ads. Is our memory that short? Step away from the Red Bull...

hstaniloff

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2008
The worst ads yet... very disappointing. I think Father Tim has to get some young, bold, creative type on this... and fast!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.