Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bank of America, the massive US bank, has finally added mobile check deposit to its iPhone and iPad apps. Bank of America personal customers can remotely deposit up to $5,000 in checks per month ($1,000 per month for new accounts) by taking photographs of the front and back of their checks inside the BofA app. Business and Platinum account holders have slightly higher monthly limits.

NewImage7.png

Bank of America spokesperson Tara Burke issued a statement to MyBankTracker:
Using the Bank of America Mobile App and the camera on their iPhone, iPad, Android smartphone or tablet and Windows phone, mobile banking users can now deposit checks without visiting an ATM or banking center.
Military-focused bank USAA was the first to offer mobile check deposit nearly 3 years ago, offering the much needed feature to its worldwide customer base.

Bank of America has announced a widespread reduction in its ATM and branch networks to save costs. The bank has said it is dropping 1,536 ATMs from its network.

The Bank of America app is available free for the iPhone and iPad through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Bank of America Adds Mobile Check Deposit to iOS App

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
I'm thrilled with this because I'm a Bank of America customer and now that I've moved to Colorado, my nearest branch/ATM is a 41 minute drive away.

Now I can do everything via phone or online.

People still use cheques?
My wife works for a small company that still issues paper paychecks.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Oh, very much so. If you are self-employed and do any freelance or contract work you're almost always going to be paid by check.

The question was meant more towards the average consumer rather than the business. I've written 2 checks in the past 5 years and rarely if ever see people use them.

nmg196

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Do Americans still use things like cheques?! How can a country which has smartphones still also use cheques? Perhaps soon they'll discover online banking - which most English speaking countries have had for around 10 years! :)

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The question was meant more towards the average consumer rather than the business. I've written 2 checks in the past 5 years and rarely if ever see people use them.

I only use checks at the grocery store when there is a long line of people behind me. And I don't prepare the check in advance at all.

:D;)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
People still use checks?

It's either a check or cash to pay my building maintenance fee; I also use it for weddings, ceremony gifts & to freelance workers. As for deposits of checks, I tend to deposit maybe 5-6 a year.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
You just have to love technology! This will be very beneficial to people that don't have a BOA near them.

As someone stated, this will be great on the taller 4" display.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sweet, I can't wait to try it out.

This is probably a silly question, but for those who have already been using this feature with their bank, what do you do with the paper check after you take the pic. Is there some kind of general rule as to how long you should hold onto it in case there are errors with the system or something like that?

neilk

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
I was thrilled not to have to go to the bank this morning to deposit a 73 cent refund check. I used the BofA app.

Wonder why they have a limit of 5k though...

----------

This is probably a silly question, but for those who have already been using this feature with their bank, what do you do with the paper check after you take the pic. Is there some kind of general rule as to how long you should hold onto it in case there are errors with the system or something like that?

They tell you to keep it for 14 days in case the check has to be presented to the bank.

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Do Americans still use things like cheques?! How can a country which has smartphones still also use cheques? Perhaps soon they'll discover online banking - which most English speaking countries have had for around 10 years! :)

Oh please :rolleyes: Pretentious much?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Once you've finished scanning the check (which is endorsed on the back with your signature and with "For Citibank deposit only"), they send an email stating that they've received it and to hold onto the check until you receive another email stating it is approved.

Once the approval email arrives, that email states that you can now destroy the check.

ferrariguy90

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Well it’s about time, Bank of America! Sometimes I wonder why I still bank with them…creature of habit, I guess.

Also, cue the American vs. British spelling debate (check vs. cheque) :D

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
How long does it take to get the money into my account? because I have used PayPal check deposit and it took almost 10 days before I had the money in my PayPal account.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
People still use checks?

My mortgage company charges a surcharge to use a CC or Debit Card. Ill continue to use checks as long as they are fre.

How long does it take to get the money into my account? because I have used PayPal check deposit and it took almost 10 days before I had the money in my PayPal account.

Thats because those shaddy MOFO's are trying to milk every ounce of interest out of your money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.