Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Do Americans still use things like cheques?! How can a country which has smartphones still also use cheques? Perhaps soon they'll discover online banking - which most English speaking countries have had for around 10 years! :)

Our payment system in this country is very antiquated for many reasons. We don't have chip-and-pin for our credit cards because the retailers' lobbies are against it (they don't like the cost of upgrading their equipment, and credit card companies are on the hook for most fraud, not them). Our interbank payment systems are still designed for the 20th century and the 10,000 mostly small banks we had back then, all connected through snail mail and the Federal Reserve check clearing system. Now we're down to about 7,000, which is still a lot more than most countries. Checks were fine in that era.

At least the US finally updated the check system, which enables banks to accept digital scans of checks. That is what makes services like this possible.

I've lived in the UK, so I'm aware of how easy it is to make person-to-person payments electronically. We're about a decade behind here, since it's just getting started.

delany

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2005
Please don't delude yourself into believing that any U.S. bank is totally uninvolved in criminal activity. Such is pure fantasy.

Please, good sir, thou must also not delude thyself that what HSBC did was not something quite special. Most banks, while it might be the case that they have and would happily allow money laundering given the chance, are subject to fairly strict oversight since the early 2000s. I've not worked with HSBC but the scale and blatancy of the money laundering it appears they were allowing is unprecedented recently and it's hard to understand how it was possible.

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
People still use checks?

Yep, a teeny tiny minority do -- probably the same people who still use faxes.

The US really is behind the times (at least by 15 years) most other countries in e-banking matters. I remember living in Denmark in 1994 that I was able to do the (pre-Internet) equivalent of paying e-bills for all my expenses back then. It took B of A until what, 2005 to introduce a similar system???

Most other countries have evolved beyond the need to have to pay for something by a paper check -- even in the case of small-time contractors getting paid by clients. Why is the US so slow to catch on?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I just opened a USAA account, everything is all hunkey-dory and all, but they do make it hard to be able to deposit CASH. Checks are at least covered by the iPhone app.

Looks like I'll still be keeping WF & BofA for my cash transactions.

----------

Naw. Mobile cash deposit :)

I can imagine someone taking pictures of $100 bills over and over and over, a million times :D

strayts

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
This was added in the update to the iPad app a couple weeks ago. It didn't affect the iPhone until today tho

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
People still use checks?

I still write several a month. Here is one example... I needed to hire an electrician to add a 220V circuit in my house for a new central air conditioner. He mailed the bill to me a couple weeks after the install. He doesn't accept credit cards so what I am supposed to do? Try and track him down to pay him cash or just mail a check? I will just mail a check. When it came time to install my central AC unit I paid my contractor with a check. I don't keep $2,500 in cash lying around the house.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yep, a teeny tiny minority do -- probably the same people who still use faxes.

A teeny tiny minority? Okay then.....:rolleyes:

There are certain expenses that I can't pay any other way. I can't mail or hand someone a wad of cash, so a check is the only way to pay. Until our system is updated, it is what it is.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
The question was meant more towards the average consumer rather than the business. I've written 2 checks in the past 5 years and rarely if ever see people use them.

I pay 1 bill a month threw a check and that is my rent check.

Honestly I am not the biggest fan of these apps since I have little faith in people shredding the checks afterwards. Sorry but my privacy is more important to me than your convences.

newbididewbidie

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
Possible loophole?

Two years ago, my business paid a contractor via check for some travel expenses related to his work with us. He used the Chase mobile app to deposit his check. For some reason, he didn't think the mobile deposit worked, but didn't really verify; so a few days later he deposited the same check again, but via his Citibank mobile app. As it happens, both the Chase and Citibank apps accepted the deposit. During our monthly reconciliation of our checking account, we realized that the check number to this individual cleared our account twice! Our bank, Bank of Albuquerque (owned by Bank of Oklahoma) didn't raise any warning that a check cleared twice. Depending on the size of the entity writing the check, I see room for some fraud!

Vaughn Felix

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Los Angeles, Ca
Soooo excited coz I'm still one of the ghetto people who get paid by checks for work!!! I won't use it much of course, only twice a month but that saves me like an hour. oh and to those people hating on B of A just because their banks came out with this a hundred years ago, don't matter, you're just having coz it was never cool until now. ha!

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Soooo excited coz I'm still one of the ghetto people who get paid by checks for work!!! I won't use it much of course, only twice a month but that saves me like an hour. oh and to those people hating on B of A just because their banks came out with this a hundred years ago, don't matter, you're just having coz it was never cool until now. ha!

I've yet to have a job where I wasn't paid by check. I'd hardly call it ghetto. I've had the option of direct deposit, but for some reason I always enjoy having a physical check.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
You must use antiquated means of payment.

Was that meant to be an insult or something? Some places, believe it or not, still take checks only, regardless of the push for simpler methods of payment transactions.

What I can't stand is people in line at the grocery store that write checks. I want to stab them in the back of the head with one of the various vegetables in my cart.

dwhittington

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Finally!

It's about time, geeez. Other banks have had this feature as far back as 2010.

I have customers that pay me with checks, so this will be handy as not all have the ability to use the more electronic-based payment systems that are available on our devices.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Rent: online direct debit (gets taken out automatically and deposited into the agent's account)
Bills: online with BPay
Pay: online direct deposit (gets deposited into my account automatically)
Person-to-person transfer: online

Never written a cheque in my life. My sister lives in the US and I'm always amused when she has to organize a cheque, especially for rent. Here, when you rent a house you get a packet from the agent that includes the account details. You just set up a repeating automatic payment online from your account and you never have to worry about it again.

All bills here are done through BPay so there's no need for cheques there either.

If I need to do a transfer to someone they just send me their account details and I can do the transfer then and there from my phone. If they're with the same bank the transfer is instant. Next business day if they aren't.

Only place I've seen cheques in the past decade are maybe once or twice a year when old people want to buy something at work. They get mighty worked up when I tell them they can't have the gear until the cheque clears. It's just a fancy IOU so why should I hand over a bunch of stuff just because you say you have the funds available?

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Our payment system in this country is very antiquated for many reasons. We don't have chip-and-pin for our credit cards because the retailers' lobbies are against it (they don't like the cost of upgrading their equipment, and credit card companies are on the hook for most fraud, not them).
Nope. Credit card companies take almost no risk. If there is fraud, it comes out of the merchants' account.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I updated the app and tried it, it didn't work, said the image wasn't good enough, after a few tries it said mobile services temporary unavailable, failure
I am not surprised. It seems most banks use the same back end processing by one company with the same horrible user interface that if it cannot find a connection to the bank's server, it pops you back to the initial screen where you have to start scanning again, rather than save the image for another five minutes and try connecting in the background.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I only use ATMs for Cash Withdrawals. If they are going to remove 1500 odd of them, what do we do then?

Switch to a different bank? I am happy BofA finally offers this feature, even though they have convenient ATMs.

That said, if they remove those convenient ATMs I'll have little reason to stay with them.

----------

I pay my tithes with checks. I don't carry cash on me like that.. So yes there are some that uses checks!

Good for tax records as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.