Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Uninstalling 10.8.1

Anyone knows if it is possible to uninstall this update if I want to update with the release or newer betas?

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
safari still buggy, scrolling, typing, beachballs page loading, still no improvement with 10.8.1

Safari is still the same build as 10.8.0. It should behave similar unless there are low level changes which improve performance.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Installed it on my Retina MBP and after working with 10.8.1 seed for several hours it does not seem to have any speed improvements for GUI speed (still lagging with some UI animations, battery still performs bad (approx. 5 hours - same as before for me).

Some tips for rMBP owners for speeding up the UI animations:
- Set 'Show scroll bars' to Always.
- Enable 'Minimize windows into application icon'

This seriously (very noticeable) improves some UI animations.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
I hope this fixes the four minor issues I'm having. This will probably be the last OS update my Mac will get, so I hope its perfect by the end. I won't have enough money next year to buy a new Mac, so let's hope everything works out!

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Installed it on my Retina MBP and after working with 10.8.1 seed for several hours it does not seem to have any speed improvements for GUI speed (still lagging with some UI animations, battery still performs bad (approx. 5 hours - same as before for me).

Some tips for rMBP owners for speeding up the UI animations:
- Set 'Show scroll bars' to Always.
- Enable 'Minimize windows into application icon'

This seriously (very noticeable) improves some UI animations.

I feel sorry for all these problems with rMBP, but that's what the one deserves who cannot wait a little and always wants the best and newest gadget.

On my 13" MBA 2011 the GUI were never slow or choppy not even in Lion, and now in ML everything is even smoother, if smooth can be smoother at all.

For me ML works like a charm, Safari is super snappy, everything is responsive and nice, and I haven't experienced any bugs yet. There must be tiny things which I haven't noticed, but hopefully everything is going to be fixed in the next few updates, and at about 10.8.4-10.8.5 we will have a perfect, long-lasting OS.

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
Does 'Change Desktop Background...' work correctly now? In 10.8 it works the first time you use it then subsequently opens but stays hidden in dock.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I feel sorry for all these problems with rMBP, but that's what the one deserves who cannot wait a little and always wants the best and newest gadget.

On my 13" MBA 2011 the GUI were never slow or choppy not even in Lion, and now in ML everything is even smoother, if smooth can be smoother at all.

For me ML works like a charm, Safari is super snappy, everything is responsive and nice, and I haven't experienced any bugs yet. There must be tiny things which I haven't noticed, but hopefully everything is going to be fixed in the next few updates, and at about 10.8.4-10.8.5 we will have a perfect, long-lasting OS.

Don't feel sorry. I own an rMBP and I have no idea what "lag" people are talking about. This machine is snappier than my 2009 MBP on all UI animations.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Don't feel sorry. I own an rMBP and I have no idea what "lag" people are talking about. This machine is snappier than my 2009 MBP on all UI animations.

I am happy for you you do not notice this.
But Quartz Debug clearly shows the UI animation are about 20-30fps instead of 60fps in non-retina devices. There is no doubt about that.
Animations are choppy. Period.

But ... in the end it is the same discussion of people do or do not see a difference between a 30fps first person shooter and 60fps first person shooter. For me 30fps is choppy and 60fps is smooth as butter. Some people like 30fps and feels like it is smooth as butter.

BTW you can test the fps of your UI with Quartz Debug yourself. Install Xcode and launch Quartz Debug. Now watch the FPS gauge when you open/move/drag/whatever on the desktop. On a non-retina it will stay steady at 60FPS. With a retina device it will peak at max 30fps (and sometimes drops to low value as 15fps).

But as I said, if you do not see this lag, thhen dont bother. :)

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
Weird thing, sometimes I turn my Magic Mouse off after putting my Mac to sleep, then when I wake it up I get kernel panics.

This happens with both my iMac and Air.

Does anyone now if this is fixed in 10.8.1?

Last edited:

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012

Deserve it?

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
It's actually a fairly big update. Code files are typically only a couple of kilobytes in size. So a 36.4MB update is fairly big.

Is this becoming a running gag or are you guys really under the weird assumption that Apple sends out SOURCE CODE patches that are magically being compiled on the end user's computer to patch and upgrade the existing binaries?

This is OS X, guys. Not Gentoo.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's actually a fairly big update. Code files are typically only a couple of kilobytes in size. So a 36.4MB update is fairly big. And anyways, Apple probably wants to just focus on the most critical updates first and then move on to the graphical bugs. Plus, this is only the first build.

Not when compared to other compared to other updates. Just look at the 10.7.4 or 10.7.3 updates they were much much larger

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Can someone clarify the whole at&t or verizon model?

I am happy for you you do not notice this.
But Quartz Debug clearly shows the UI animation are about 20-30fps instead of 60fps in non-retina devices. There is no doubt about that.
Animations are choppy. Period.

But ... in the end it is the same discussion of people do or do not see a difference between a 30fps first person shooter and 60fps first person shooter. For me 30fps is choppy and 60fps is smooth as butter. Some people like 30fps and feels like it is smooth as butter.

BTW you can test the fps of your UI with Quartz Debug yourself. Install Xcode and launch Quartz Debug. Now watch the FPS gauge when you open/move/drag/whatever on the desktop. On a non-retina it will stay steady at 60FPS. With a retina device it will peak at max 30fps (and sometimes drops to low value as 15fps).

But as I said, if you do not see this lag, thhen dont bother. :)
I see the difference between 60 and 30. I'm an avid gamer. You should have spent more time reading my post. I said that rMBP is faster than my 2009 MBP. Not faster than 2012 MBP's. So this means that if people thought back in 2009 that the MBP's were "acceptable" in their UI speed, then this is even faster. MBP's always had worse GPU's compared to desktop macs and they always had worse GUI animation fps. That's a fact. But even though they were always slower, it did not effect the usage that much, if it did we should have seen 10 times more complaints about the older MBP's than we see today for rMBP's.

That being said, rMBP does not get 30 fps in UI animations. I get 60 fps on my retina while opening and closing folders, dragging finder windows (constant 60 fps) resizing finder windows (constant 60 fps), 40 fps on Expose, 35 fps on launchpad, 52 fps on scrolling in Safari on text based websites, 34 fps scrolling on Facebook which is still better than my 2009 MBP which does it at 25fps. All these numbers are higher than my old MBP. They are slightly lower than my Mac Pro with Radeon5870 which gets constant 60 on expose unless there were too many windows (in that case it also drops) but drops to 35fps on Facebook scrolling as well.

And I was one of the first people who posted Quartz Debug numbers on other macs when people were complaining how "slow" the new rMBP's were. People were complaining that how a 2012 rMBP can get only 30 fps on Facebook scrolling which is basically 5-6 fps less than what you get on a 5000$ Mac Pro today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.