Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
trying to download the latest Ubuntu for Mac i was wondering if PPC and utilize the 64 bit version

brangates

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
Are you planning on a dual boot or just Ubuntu. I have a G4 I would like to dual boot with a Linux disto. I'm not sure Ubuntu would be the best for me considering the G4 is so old. I had Ubuntu running on windows machine about the same age and it was way to slow. Maybe I'll just wait for a raspberry pi unless a dual boot is easy.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Are you planning on a dual boot or just Ubuntu. I have a G4 I would like to dual boot with a Linux disto. I'm not sure Ubuntu would be the best for me considering the G4 is so old. I had Ubuntu running on windows machine about the same age and it was way to slow. Maybe I'll just wait for a raspberry pi unless a dual boot is easy.

i was talking dual-boot and there is a less memory-intensive Lubuntu which i do believe uses the Lightweight LXDE GUI

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
I have Linux Mint (partially updated to debian-unstable) running on my dual 1.8GHz QuickSilver and it is useable (pretty much on the same level as Leopard on such HW maybe even faster in some regards).

So the question is what kind of PPC are we talking about ? I doubt anything much below my top-end G4 will be any fun with any current desktop Linux.

If your have one of the better G5s even some heavier as Ubuntu (Gnome) or Kubuntu (KDE) might be worth a try (assuming you find supported PPC versions).

For those one might even consider useing a 64Bit PPC kernel, but I'm not sure wether those are easily available.....

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I have Linux Mint (partially updated to debian-unstable) running on my dual 1.8GHz QuickSilver and it is useable (pretty much on the same level as Leopard on such HW maybe even faster in some regards).

So the question is what kind of PPC are we talking about ? I doubt anything much below my top-end G4 will be any fun with any current desktop Linux.

If your have one of the better G5s even some heavier as Ubuntu (Gnome) or Kubuntu (KDE) might be worth a try (assuming you find supported PPC versions).

For those one might even consider useing a 64Bit PPC kernel, but I'm not sure wether those are easily available.....

just the two macs in my signature techinally just the eMac right now i dont get my PowerMac til Tuesday

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Linux with a lighweight GUI (Lubuntu,Mint etc) should be o.k. with a 1GHz G4, just don't expect any miracles :rolleyes:

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Linux with a lighweight GUI (Lubuntu,Mint etc) should be o.k. with a 1GHz G4, just don't expect any miracles :rolleyes:

i did run 10.04 Ubuntu GNOME on my eMac for a bit just to try it seemed to run a tad faster than Leopard but sad truth is there is less PPC Ubuntu apps than there is PPC Mac apps

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I spent years trying to get Ubuntu/Xubuntu and my own Ubuntu based OS running on my various Powerbooks. Never got past the load screen. My Powermac G4 installs and boots, but with obnoxious graphics faults. I haven't tried with the X800XT, but both the R7500 and GF4MX both have the same issue.

heartsglory

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2005
Always try out a live cd/DVD before installing. For a Linux distro you could try Ubuntu, Debian, mint Ppc, or even Fedora now has a resurrected PowerPC spin. Arch Linux has a PowerPC spin too.

For those who are more adventurous could try FreeBSD.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I like linux more than most people but I've never understood running Linux on old Mac's when there's Tiger.

If this a rebellion against Apple which my latest Linux box is I get it....

Matthew55904

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
As the Thread poster stated I cannot seem to get Ubuntu working at all. I downloaded the PPC version put it on a CD but didnt boot. So i help Option key and its shows up but i go to select it nothing happens screen turns black as its going to load but comes back to the boot screen with odd colours and cannot be booted at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.