Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes reports that the long-rumored 7.85" iPad will begin volume production in September with a target of 4 million units per month.
Supply volume of Apple's 7.85-inch iPad is estimated to reach four million units per month starting in September in order to prepare for demand from year-end holidays, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.
The goal is said to launch the new device before the 2012 holiday season.

imore_ipad_mini_mockup.jpg

iPad Mini mockup (left) by iMore

The timing is consistent with previous rumors that Apple would be ramping production in September. iMore reported back in May that Apple was targetting an October launch for the smaller iPad with a target price in the $200-$250 range. iMore also lumped in the iPad Mini to be announced alongside the next iPhone on the rumored September 12th media event.

The September 12th date seems certain for an Apple media event as it has been verified by a number of publications. Apple has yet to officially announce an event, however.

While a number of part leaks have already revealed what to expect in the next iPhone, iPad mini parts have been quite scarce. This seemingly late ramp up in production may have been intentionally timed by Apple to correspond with their launch media event in order to prevent as many leaks for this new device.

Article Link: Apple to Ramp Up 7.85´´ iPad Mini Production in September?

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I don't know why but I feel like I need one. Can't decide if I'd want this over my 10.1.

(-waits for trolls to tell me what Steve would/would not have allowed-)
(Edit: -reads first post...ugh.-)

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I think they will stage it at least a month after the new iPhone, let our credit cards time to cool off a little :)

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I really did not believe they would make a smaller iPad. But these rumors just ain't quitting. I think there is a definite market for 7 inch tablets if they can get the price point down a bit. The nexus 7 is a lot of tablet for $200 and I know apple can do better.

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Well tear out my soul and call me Randall Stephenson. This thing might actually happen.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
This should be the machine that cracks open the e-textbook market. Next fall, the college bookstores are going to be in for a whole bag of pain.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
"Honey..u know how we hate when the 18 m/o baby cries because her sister won't let her play with the iPad? Well, I found a solution..And the only reason im gonna do this is to eliminate some stress out of your life..Because I love u"

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
They could seriously preview at September event with pre-orders starting that day with delivery first week of December. Trickle the rest of the production in to stores to drive buyers nuts. Just like the toy makers.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I really did not believe they would make a smaller iPad. But these rumors just ain't quitting. I think there is a definite market for 7 inch tablets if they can get the price point down a bit. The nexus 7 is a lot of tablet for $200 and I know apple can do better.

It's not a '7"' tablet any more than the iPad is 9".

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
"Honey..u know how we hate when the 18 m/o baby cries because her sister won't let her play with the iPad? Well, I found a solution..And the only reason im gonna do this is to eliminate some stress out of your life..Because I love u"

The weird thing is that this EXACT (right down to the age and genders) situation is playing out in the other room in my house...

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
As it's looking like this might hit before the windows RT tabs, I might end up with one. The size is far more sensible than the original; -still- just need a little selling on utility, even after all this time lol.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Except every single iPhone and iPod... :rolleyes:

Qoi? You do realize the only thing that always released 4 months before the holidays was the updated iPod line up. The iPhone was released mid year, way before holiday season was ever considered.... exception iPhone 4, which broke the cycle that worked thanks to the idiots at Verizon who couldn't wait till June.

So roll those eyes back...

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

No part leaks could be because first the parts are mostly too big to be pocketed by foxcon workers and second because they dont need to ramp production as early for a 4 million a quarter product as they do for a 25 million (or whatever it is) a quarter product like the iphone. Also fewer people will pay money for ipad mini parts as for parts from the next iphone

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Sad that Apple is so quick to toss out Steve Jobs' opinions now that he's dead. Steve knew that the public wanted a 10 inch screen.... hence why iPads dominate the market and no one can even name an android tablet. He would have never let this 7 inch iPad happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.