Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I think this will be a good seller at the right price point.

Looking forward to seeing the iPad mini. Could be a nice Christmas gift for the kids, and keep them off the wife's iPad or our iPhones :)

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
There should be a front page section, a page two section, wild forum speculations section and a Digitimes section - in that order.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Didn't Tim Cook say they were doubling down on secrecy? I bet that design is a controlled leak, and instead they're going to radically change the design and form factor for the iPad mini.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Amusingly, there have been a fair number of part leaks for the next-generation iPhone, yet nothing credible for this alleged "iPad mini" which is set to debut in three weeks.

And yet, we're supposed to believe that there are millions of these in a manufacturing ramp right now? Despite the fact that iOS 6 developer previews have not shown any evidence of the device? Even the inscrutable references in some of the configuration files?

Really?

I mean, if there's a production iPad mini, it must be Apple's best kept secret in the past four years.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I mean, if there's a production iPad mini, it must be Apple's best kept secret in the past four years.

"...and when I say doubling down on secrecy, I mean specifically about any new iPad development. The iPhone? Hell, I don't care."

- Tim Cook

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Another iPad mini rumor huh? Well I still don't think It's gonna happen but I'll play this game!
So what they're saying is that they'll announce it in October with an October release?? Maybe have an event to remember Steve Jobs on the 1 year anniversary of his passing?? Who knows what apple is doing but I still think it would ultimately kill off the bigger iPad!!

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
The weird thing is that this EXACT (right down to the age and genders) situation is playing out in the other room in my house...

Funny stuff! It's an every night occurrence in my home. Was considering a touch for the baby to play with. BUT, if the $200-$250 price points hold true, I will be preordering on day one. Along with a sceen potector and the big fat baby bumper as soon their available for the mini.

Wordsmithmac

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2011
perfect replacement for my ipad 1... maybe, I only truly want one app that only iOS will have first before it comes to android...i may wait...once hbo/max go and twc tv work on the nexus 7 I may not even want an ipad....but its closer to 8 inches and wider than the android 7 inch tabs so it's a ipad 1 replacement since i can't slip it into my pocket

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Congrats to the upcoming Apple releases for those desiring them. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, however, don't need a laptop even if it has Retina. Don't need a iPad mini or even 4" screen iPhone. Looking for a desktop. Any ramping up of new iMacs Apple? Irksomely waiting and trying, TRYING, to hold out for something that wasn't refreshed over 475 days and counting. Please Apple, please... Soon?!!! My current setup and situation is fast becoming untenable. :(
/
/
/

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
Sad that Apple is so quick to toss out Steve Jobs' opinions now that he's dead. Steve knew that the public wanted a 10 inch screen.... hence why iPads dominate the market and no one can even name an android tablet. He would have never let this 7 inch iPad happen.

I hope that was sarcasm. :rolleyes:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This will drive my stock even higher. I'll profit off all the people that swore this was a really stupid idea. Funny how things work out. Everyone's an expert till Apple proves them wrong. :D

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
I'll definitely be considering this for my girlfriend's birthday. The new iPad and the iPad 2 & 1 are pretty expensive. But if the projected cost is in the $200-$250 dollar range, I doubt there will be any hesitation in October when her birthday rolls around. :D

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I find it hard to believe Apple would not launch, if it really exists, the iPad mini before thanksgiving, and I am not even a Yank. They would want to maximize "holiday" sales.

But if the actual release is that far out, it is quite possible they will not announce it at the same time as the next iPhone and iPod updates, but a separate event in late October/early November. Watch the post September event wailing and mashing of teeth if that scenario eventuates.

A long wait between announcement and availability may help to hurt competitor products, but it would also cause current iPad sales to drop off so the current quarter looks bad, so swings and roundabouts... Unless they announce at the iphone launch that they will have another special event in a month to launch a new product.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
At $250.00, I give it serious thought. I just sold my iPhone 4S and had an iPad 2. iPhone screen is too small, iPad 3 screen is a bit large to carry around. This new device would be perfect. Large enough to read books and do some serious surfing, and small enough to almost carry in your pocket.

As I said, at $250.00 I give it serious thought, and $200.00 that's just a no-brainer. If this thing priced at $200, how long before apple has 99% market share in the tablet world. How would anyone complete with Apple with a $200 offering?

With the stock price at an all-time high, and more money than god... I think Apple tries to land the knock-out blow with Amazon, Samsung, Google, etc. and lose some initial money and price it at $199. Wow, just imagine $199. Not $499, $399, $299 or even $200. But $199. You'd see non-Apple tablet liquidation sales everywhere.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
I think the mini will give stiff competition to the iPad. Apple will need to do something drastic to sell the 9" as the screen size is not that far apart.

agengler

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2001
If they were smart they'd make it a phone too

Although businesswise, Apple might not consider it.

But, I'll bet there's a market to have a min-tablet, plus a phone...... the best of both worlds.

Then have a really thin photo for the just-phone people.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Amusingly, there have been a fair number of part leaks for the next-generation iPhone, yet nothing credible for this alleged "iPad mini" which is set to debut in three weeks.

And yet, we're supposed to believe that there are millions of these in a manufacturing ramp right now? Despite the fact that iOS 6 developer previews have not shown any evidence of the device? Even the inscrutable references in some of the configuration files?

Really?

Think about it. So Apple doesn't leak anything it doesn't want to leak. These numerous iPhone leaks are to distract people from trying to get more information on the iPad Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.