Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
I'm an avid CS player from 1.1 till source. I honestly have no idea what the point of this release is.. It's not on a new engine, it's CS with a few weapon change outs and face lift.

Why release a whole separate game for that? To me it just feels like they're trying to cash in on the name.

I think I read it's supposed to bridge the gap from 1.6 to CS:S. It's supposed to feel more like the original 1.6, while being updated to modern standards.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Actually a Mac can last you 3-4 years of extensive usage without the need of upgrading to a newer machine, while a Windows computer will probably need an upgrade in 1-2 years if you want to continue gaming or using resources heavy applications at ease.

My MacBook is almost 6 years old and still works like new. I thought about buying something new but opted to upgrade the MacBook with a cheap SSD instead. Can't justify buying a new portable until this thing is dead given how I use my portable.

It is actually really funny how iHaters call Macs expensive, when similar specced computers actually cost the pretty much the same -if not for some brands a little higher! Or people complain about Apple's annual upgrade when other computer manufactures upgrade their product lines 2 times a year or games such as Crysis are badly optimised to force people into upgrading.

True, business class hardware from other manufacturers that is built to business class spec and doesn't come bloated with all that crap trial and ad-supported software to subsidize the cost of the OS does cost the same for an equivalently specced machine.

Not many are aware of this so it leads to the perception that Macs are more expensive.

Worry not, Tim Cook's xMac is coming next year :D

Isn't the xMac the Mac Mini?

Last edited:

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
It is probably due to the large user base of machines with relatively weak GPU's. If the mac specs listed were higher a large number of users would be turned off buying it.

It all seems a buy cynical to me, we have seen that source titles already run slightly better under windows on the same hardware, and anyone who does actually try to run this on a 2400 series is in for a world of pain (headaches brought on by the stuttering frame rate).

Valve will know exactly what hardware the majority of their users will be running due to the statistics the Steam client sends back (if you let it)?

Actually, Valve recently worked on a Linux port for steam and found that games ran significantly better once they did some tweaks.

Linux and BSD have a lot of things in common on the kernel level. It's a known fact that software just runs crappier on Windows so you'd need better hardware for the same performance.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
TF2 and CS:GO are not even close to being high end titles.

And it doesn't address the issue of static, mid range at best GPU's that can't be updated. If one doesn't game its a nonissue. Otherwise it's cause for pause and rightly so.

And what is a "high end title"? That which cannot be played but by those gigantic furnaces with the latest SLI triple-slot XIYVS82200 gfx card? Gimme a break, please.

I will give you the definition of a "high end title": recently-released, extremely popular and with high levels of replayability. Not just Crysis-like boring piss-match exhibitions for the sake of bragging over a couple more FPS.

And as I said above, you will get your wish soon: the fabled xMac minitower is finally coming under Cook's helm in 2013.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Actually, Valve recently worked on a Linux port for steam and found that games ran significantly better once they did some tweaks.

Linux and BSD have a lot of things in common on the kernel level. It's a known fact that software just runs crappier on Windows so you'd need better hardware for the same performance.

Yep. Can't all of the PC gamers just switch to Linux? It would be better for them and better for us casual video game players. They still get their elite homemade hardly-personal PCs plus a free OS and better performance, and more software in general is made for Linux, which means that it's easy to port to Mac (or just run in X11). There, everyone on UNIX, everyone happy.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I have heard good things from a couple of podcasts I listen to. Then again everyone is learning to use these new fancy molotovs and decoy grenades.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Thanks for the heads up! , I'm starting to afraid that it won't run well on my 2011 i5 MBP, I wonder what resolution you're playing it at? any recommended settings?

I'm playing at native... As far as I know, the game is supposed to do an auto-config on launch. Perhaps it didn't do such a good job on your computer for some reason? I'll post the settings in a sec.

Okay, uploading an image with an iPad is WAY too hard. for some reason MR wont accept dropbox direct links... Sigh... Anyway, here are my settings. Thank goodness for VNC.

EDIT: Well okay, I guess I'm not at native. Whatever... :) it's a great resolution.

Attachments

• 2012-08-22 18.13.58.png
    2012-08-22 18.13.58.png
    629.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 2012-08-22 18.14.12.png
    2012-08-22 18.14.12.png
    649.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

theineffablebob

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
Yeah, i just played CS from the early betas back in the 90's. Of course i do not know what i am talking about, like the fact that CS didnt run on the source engine at all, but rather ran on GoldSrc, which in itself was essentially a modified Quake engine... obviously i just made that up. What do i know.

Obviously the original CS runs on GoldSrc. I was talking about Source and up since any computer can run CS 1.6 today. Also, Source is built off of GoldSrc, just with significant changes to the engine.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006

Yep. Can't all of the PC gamers just switch to Linux? It would be better for them and better for us casual video game players. They still get their elite homemade hardly-personal PCs plus a free OS and better performance, and more software in general is made for Linux, which means that it's easy to port to Mac (or just run in X11). There, everyone on UNIX, everyone happy.

This following might explain why:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 5.16.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 5.16.57 PM.png
    301.1 KB · Views: 131

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
By that logic every single iPhone related post should be moved to the iOS blog as they may be deemed of interest only to iPhone owners.

Incorrect. By that logic, iPhone game announcements should go in the iOS Blog, if they belong on MacRumors at all (wasn't the sister site TouchArcade made just so the iOS blog wouldn't have to cover iPhone game announcements?)

Content that belongs in the iOS blog is more to the extent of mentions of apps that wouldn't be interesting to everyone, but might be interesting to a few (say 10-50%) of visitors and doesn't belong on TouchArcade.

Major game related news that qualifies for front page is something like Apple releasing a new game system, or having a major focus on games in a revised Apple TV, or Steam itself being launched for Mac.

I'm not saying this announcement isn't big news for Mac Gamers, I'm just saying that the announcement isn't front page worthy for most others.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
This following might explain why:

Yep. That spaghetti soup of system calls is also why apps are more crash prone. Imagine what it's like for Microsoft to have to try to make a significant change in that mess? I think Vista speaks for itself... Really, they need to begin a painful transition to a Unix or Linux based OS, exactly as Apple did. It wont make them popular, but they'll be set for the future. Hell, Windows may be a competitive OS again in something other than graphics drivers for once.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Yep. That spaghetti soup of system calls is also why apps are more crash prone. Imagine what it's like for Microsoft to have to try to make a significant change in that mess? I think Vista speaks for itself... Really, they need to begin a painful transition to a Unix or Linux based OS, exactly as Apple did. It wont make them popular, but they'll be set for the future. Hell, Windows may be a competitive OS again in something other than graphics drivers for once.

Windows appears to provide better graphics drivers support but the performance benefits come at the cost of security.

The drivers are not nearly as well tested for stability and security. This could be interrelated to the content in the image in my previous post.

The issue is significant enough that MS has been reluctant to commit to supporting WebGL in IE given that this would provide the browser process access to those driver vulnerabilities that would provide elevated privileges to the system if exploited.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Conservative = low

Liberal = high

You have it backward.

Is this a technical term? I was thinking of "liberal" as "open to many different specifications" vs "exclusive" as "open only to high-end computers and/or certain GPUs".

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Is this a technical term? I was thinking of "liberal" as "open to many different specifications" vs "exclusive" as "open only to high-end computers and/or certain GPUs".

The problem is that there wasn't any technical specifications listed in the original article. Otherwise, it is open to interpretation by individual users, which, in the case of MR, is most often amazingly misinformed and wrong.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Conservative = low

Liberal = high

You have it backward.

The problem is that there wasn't any technical specifications listed in the original article. Otherwise, it is open to interpretation by individual users, which, in the case of MR, is most often amazingly misinformed and wrong.

Then why do the Mac system requirements allow for lower spec'd machines than the Windows system requirements?

Sensation

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
And what is a "high end title"? That which cannot be played but by those gigantic furnaces with the latest SLI triple-slot XIYVS82200 gfx card? Gimme a break, please.

I will give you the definition of a "high end title": recently-released, extremely popular and with high levels of replayability. Not just Crysis-like boring piss-match exhibitions for the sake of bragging over a couple more FPS.

And as I said above, you will get your wish soon: the fabled xMac minitower is finally coming under Cook's helm in 2013.

Crysis, Battlefield and the Witcher are good examples. Games which have a new modern engine with all the bells and whistles. CS looks like ass lol

----------

Did you play on XBOX or PS2? The PS2 version has much worse graphics.

I had in the Xbox, it was just not as good as Halo so I didnt like it too much.

----------

What exactly, though, is "very dated"? The common theme on this thread is that everyone is very satisfied with the game, framerate wise. Updating Source to something on par with the Cry3 engine would mean the game would look a little better, and 5% of the people here would still be able to enjoy it.

Just compare it to BF3, I like my games to look nice and realistic.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Incorrect. By that logic, iPhone game announcements should go in the iOS Blog, if they belong on MacRumors at all (wasn't the sister site TouchArcade made just so the iOS blog wouldn't have to cover iPhone game announcements?)

Content that belongs in the iOS blog is more to the extent of mentions of apps that wouldn't be interesting to everyone, but might be interesting to a few (say 10-50%) of visitors and doesn't belong on TouchArcade.

Major game related news that qualifies for front page is something like Apple releasing a new game system, or having a major focus on games in a revised Apple TV, or Steam itself being launched for Mac.

I'm not saying this announcement isn't big news for Mac Gamers, I'm just saying that the announcement isn't front page worthy for most others.

Uh...where exactly did I say 'iOS Games'? I was talking about iOS posts in general. Someone who isn't interested in iOS could argue that those posts dont belong on the home page, just as you're arguing that MAC game posts shouldn't. Where exactly do you draw the line? Do you stop all forms of software announcements being posted, or just the ones you aren't interested in? I couldn't have given a damn about the announcement that 'Sound Forge Pro' was coming to the Mac, but it's obviously been posted as it'll be of interest to the pro market. This is no different at all.

Anyway, my point still stands. It's a significant piece of news for the Mac as it'll likely be one of the mac's most popular games. Given that Steam has enabled Mac users to get access to some of the most well respected, and longest running PC games, it's worthy of being notes. Last I checked there is no 'gaming' sub-section on MacRumors, and TouchArcade is for iOS games, not Mac games.

Heck, I hate seeing all the damn patent posts which have precisely squat in the way of impact on your average MacRumors user, but they get posted because it encourages debate, thus getting more people on MacRumors in the first place.

It's really quite simple though...if you dont like a post, dont read it. I'm pretty confident that the MacRumors Editors know their audience a hell of a lot better than you or I, so how about we leave them to decide what goes on their site.

layte

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008

But OS X isn't Linux (especially where video drivers are concerned). Comparisons show that Source titles run slower on the same hardware on OS X than they do Windows.

I've seen what Valve have done with their Linux client and software and it looks excellent, with any luck they can encourage other developers to the platform. Hopefully at the same time they can shame Apple into releasing competitive video drivers.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Just compare it to BF3, I like my games to look nice and realistic.

I really wanted to like BF3, but it has client side hit detection! ...I mean really? Is this 1995? Sure it may look good but the net code is complete ****. Just Google BF3 net code and it makes me want to cry.

Cs games have always been about game play and polish. While cs go does need some more work, at least your shots actually shoot where you are shooting. There are an unbelievable amount of BS shots in BF3 due to the net code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.