Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a hint from The Loop's Jim Dalrymple suggesting that Apple's "iPad mini" will be introduced at a second media event following the next-generation iPhone event all but confirmed for September 12, AllThingsD now backs up the claim with its own sources saying that Apple is planning for an iPad mini introduction in October.
Apple's next generation iPhone and its so-called "iPad mini" will debut at two separate events this fall, rather than a single one as has been widely speculated, according to several sources. [...]

Only after the next generation iPhone is out the door and on sale will Apple announce the smaller iPad it's been working on. That device, which is expected to have a display of less than eight inches, will be uncrated at a second special event, which sources said is currently scheduled for October.
ipad_mini_mockup_iphone.jpg
Mockup of 7.85-inch "iPad mini" next to an iPhone (courtesy of CiccareseDesign)
AllThingsD has a reliable track record when it comes to leaking Apple media event plans, and when paired with Dalrymple's past history it seems likely that Apple will indeed be holding two separate events in the coming months to introduce the next-generation iPhone and the company's smaller iPad.

Article Link: Apple's 'iPad Mini' Media Event Planned for October

MkNuII

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
Portugal
Sounds more credible. Two events = more talk about Apple. If we sum up with iPad event in March, WWDC in June and iPhone + iPad Mini in Fall.. there would be non stop Apple talk all year long...

Will they start the keynote like.. "As you can see.. we stood by you in the court, we always battle for consumer rights" ;)

iSengKin

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2012
So many rumors about the next generation iPhone and the iPad mini...

And yet, I am not seeing a smallest update regarding an iMac 2012 refresh.

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
I hope samsung sues apple for copying there idea for a small size screen, 'cause if apple can win a case with having a rectangular shaped phone with rounded out sides, samsung can win this battle. Apple is copying there idea. hahaha

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
Hopefully true!

The iPhone needs its own event. Show us more than 10 features and DON'T GO OVER THE FEATURES YOU ALREADY TOLD US ABOUT! I can't stand it when they do this. Just show us the new stuff! I feel like they troll us so hard when they do this lol.

I'm more excited about the software more than the actual design. Apple proved it makes beautiful phones. Now show us you still have great software as well. Also it's been extremely 'quiet' regarding anything groundbreaking. This could mean something great is near!

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I hope samsung sues apple for copying there idea for a small size screen, 'cause if apple can win a case with having a rectangular shaped phone with rounded out sides, samsung can win this battle. Apple is copying there idea. hahaha

Are you saying Samsung is the first company ever to release a 7inch tablet?

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I wonder how other product updates such as the iMac will fit in? Would seem unusual to do it at either iOS event, no?

If they do, it would be at iPhone, the reason the iPad mini would have its own is because it is a new device, iPhone is just an update.

HoopjeEllende

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Holland
2 events!
One IOS event for the Iphone and the mini Ipad, and one for the Imac, mac mini and rMBP 13' !
Because it seams indeed strange to launch the new macs, which comes in 2012, at an IOS event

everybody happy! ;)

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Dalrymple already confirmed this. The issue was settled when he said so.

For the most part, yes. However, AllthingsD is essentially the tech blog of the Wall Street Journal, so this is about as close to official confirmation from Apple as is possible short of the media invitation.

I think it makes sense. Let September be the month of the iPhone, and then when the initial rush dies down, start up another one with the new smaller iPad, just in time for the holiday shopping season. My guess is that they aren't too concerned about letting the new Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 get another month of sales. October-December is the important quarter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.