Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:28 PM   #76
Apple OC
macrumors 68040

the bottom line is ... those 7 tours cannot be re-raced or all the cyclists re-tested. Lance won them and passed all the tests he was given.

IMO ... I don't blame Lance if he tells them to #$&@off ... who wouldn't be fed up if the witch hunt was focussed on themselves? ... and for this long.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:10 PM   #77
rhett7660
macrumors G3

If he was guilty and they have the evidence, present it now. Why wait?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:14 PM   #78
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Other organisations may be requesting or using the same evidence (I know WADA had definitely requested it, watched an interview with their president today). To make it public while any investigation is ongoing could prejudice any case they're putting against him.

I don't think anything is irregular with this aspect.
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:25 PM   #79
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Other organisations may be requesting or using the same evidence (I know WADA had definitely requested it, watched an interview with their president today). To make it public while any investigation is ongoing could prejudice any case they're putting against him.

I don't think anything is irregular with this aspect.
Ahh ok, that makes sense. Just seems all full fishy that they would wait this long after all has been said and done. I thought they tested before and after the race. But that may not be the case.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:34 PM   #80
Don't panic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy View Post
Didn't see this posted yet

Armstrong is giving up the fight against what he claims are unfair and one-sided doping charges. Will likely have all tour titles stripped and receive a lifetime ban.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycli...ges/57258616/1
it was unavoidable that eventually his cheating would catch up with him.

He is "giving the fight" because he has a losing hand and he knows it. This is no witch hunt. it has been known for years he was a cheat.
I admire him for his foundation, but still all his empire was built on lies
Don't panic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:46 PM   #81
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

Doping should be allowed if not even mandatory in professional sports across the board.
Orange Crane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:09 AM   #82
CorvusCamenarum
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
It's the lack of evidence that proves he's doubleplusguilty, because he's so good at doping that he was able to stay one step ahead of the testing procedures. Repeatedly. For years.

Heard on the radio this afternoon that Nike was sticking by him.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:15 PM   #83
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

what does the USADA's "banning from competitive events" even mean? What is their authority? Can't he still complete all he wants if its OK with the body that presides over a specific event?
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:22 PM   #84
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankar4 View Post
what does the USADA's "banning from competitive events" even mean? What is their authority? Can't he still complete all he wants if its OK with the body that presides over a specific event?
USADA is the body that over see most of the event or the events follow USADA rules which again means that a USADA ban mean no go for most major events.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:37 PM   #85
BigPrince
macrumors 68020

Isn't there a concept of statue of limitations?
BigPrince is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:05 AM   #86
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPrince View Post
Isn't there a concept of statue of limitations?
Carved from the finest italian marble .
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:41 PM   #87
killerrobot
macrumors 68020

This is a good article that explains this whole mess with a bit more detail.

It appears as though the Judge thought USADA's evidence was worthless but he had to rule in their favor because as a professional US athlete, Lance signed a contract that all decisions would be handled via arbitration.

As far as the statute of limitations, this article points out it was 8 years, but Tygart decided to change the rules to make it 14 and apply it retroactively. Someone on his legal times says that the arbitration would probably last another 4-5 years if Lance decided to fight it.

Anti-doping authorities don't play fair against athletes
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...2080853.column
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:38 PM   #88
malman89
macrumors 68000

I don't know how I really feel about this. Everyone knows that Lance Armstrong the man (and probably competitor) is a total asshat. Yeah he raised money for cancer, but he's a complete Richard.

On the flip side, the USADA has no jurisdiction on most of their charges and has no power to strip such victories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
38 suspect samples and 10 ex team mates prepared to give evidence against him, I think even Armstrong sees that as a no win situation.
I see these people as Jose Cansecos - total no-name losers who wanted their 15 minutes of glory by raking Lance's identity through the mud. If it went to a hearing, they would be guaranteed book deals and what not. I wonder how pissed they are Lance quit. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Now the thing about Canseco is that he was pretty much mostly right, so you can't completely write off all this new evidence without giving it a shot. It's really an all around lose-lose. A sport with little credibility just lost any of it to the potentially interested/casual fan.
malman89 is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events