Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:25 PM   #26
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj47 View Post
But if you have the jack at the bottom you have to have your phone upside down in your pocket. I don't like that.
Think about how easy it will be to pull the phone out of your pocket to use it. After you pull it out, you're naturally holding it in it's portrait position. This was something Apple should have done long ago, like the iPod Touch.
BornAgainApple is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:27 PM   #27
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Quote:
But if you have the jack at the bottom you have to have your phone upside down in your pocket. I don't like that.
Maybe he walks on his hands.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainApple View Post
Think about how easy it will be to pull the phone out of your pocket to use it. After you pull it out, you're naturally holding it in it's portrait position. This was something Apple should have done long ago, like the iPod Touch.
People do this now, no problem.
sinsin07 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:28 PM   #28
Tcache
macrumors member

To everyone complaining about having to buy new cords, chargers, etc for the new adapter.... It's been a long time since the iPhone was introduced or even the iPod in that sense. I think it's ok to change it up, hopefully it will be beneficial to the mechanics of the phone.
Tcache is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:28 PM   #29
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

[QUOTE=arn;15545479]I think it's just the perspective (they aren't lined up).

Perhaps, but there's a lot of room on each side compared to the old phone. Looks wider to me, which could be a good thing.
BornAgainApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:28 PM   #30
jaysen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcache View Post
To everyone complaining about having to buy new cords and chargers and such for the new adapter.... It's been a long time since the iPhone was introduced or even the iPod in that sense. I think it's ok to change it up, hopefully it will be beneficial to the mechanics of the phone.
Yeah I agree, the dock connector is old and outdated
jaysen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:29 PM   #31
bikemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
please pardon me while i go and throw away all my chargers and money
Why, what's wrong with the iPhone you (presumably) have now? Why do some people feel as though they must upgrade if clearly it isn't the right thing to do? .
  3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:31 PM   #32
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

People do this now, no problem.[/QUOTE]

True.

This will also help cable management in the vehicle, if one uses a mount or bracket, though the new design might mean new accessory.
BornAgainApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:31 PM   #33
ihakim
macrumors member

Come on Apple, just use Micro USB and give us consumers a break...
ihakim is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:34 PM   #34
jmlg
macrumors newbie

30 pin plus 8 pin?

I suppose that we can plan on seeing a 30 pin/8 pin combo cable like the ones pictures above, right? I would love to see that as I will be in a bi-pinned household when the new iPhone comes out.
jmlg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:37 PM   #35
chaosconan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihakim View Post
Micro USB sucks. Worst connector I have ever used. It's always loose, and moving around and does not hold in very well. I'm glad they did not go with micro usb and decided to come up with a better design that will snap in and hold.
chaosconan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:37 PM   #36
malias4
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Exactly, then u hav to put it upside down plus it looks ugly now!
Asymetric one size with the jack hole !

I also think by the way that the nre iphone looks wider!!
Oh i wish its true even i dont think so :-(
malias4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:40 PM   #37
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
This is exactly what irritates me about the new design. The loss of the several hundred dollars in peripherals, cases and adapters I'll sustain due to needless redesigns. Going to have to think long and hard about whether to get an iPhone 4S or the new iPhone.
You think Apple cares?
gmanist1000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:46 PM   #38
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

If I were a stockholder in a company like scosche. I'd wait a bit until I ramp up production.

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:49 PM   #39
shane1598
macrumors member

Quote:
I swear that new phone looks wider, and thicker too
I was thinking it was wider and thicker too. But I believe its becaue the guy is holding the phones and resting them on a table. Thus the iPhone 5 is closer to the camera lens being that it is a taller phone.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:49 PM   #40
harley3k
macrumors regular

Running

I run with my phone using the Nike GPS Running app and I'm always holding the phone upside down, so the cable is closer to my body and out of the way.

The app doesn't recognize the orientation of my phone and re-display like it could, so I have to turn the phone around again when I stop or slow down to read the screen.

So personally, I welcome the new headphone jack location.
harley3k is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:49 PM   #41
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
This is exactly what irritates me about the new design. The loss of the several hundred dollars in peripherals, cases and adapters I'll sustain due to needless redesigns. Going to have to think long and hard about whether to get an iPhone 4S or the new iPhone.
Haha you funny guy!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:49 PM   #42
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Or you get one adapter that attaches to the bottom of your phone when you need it and all of your devices work...or buy several of them for your devices that are permanently attached. 10 years between connectors is enough to warrant a change, this isn't really so bad.
Iconoclysm is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:49 PM   #43
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Still don't like how they have the earphone jack at the bottom. It just seems so... wrong.
I maintain it is the most important feature change the iPhone has seen in its 5 years in the wild. It is going to be so much more comfortable to use for music this way, AND the phone will be the right way up when you take it out of your pocket - madness! Can't wait.

As for the dock connector, presumably the old wall chargers will still work as they take the other end of the cable , and I never even considered any other accessories ... given that this is almost definitely shipping before the windows phone 8 phones, I think it's a no-brainer now.
MartiNZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:50 PM   #44
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Still don't like how they have the earphone jack at the bottom. It just seems so... wrong.
Docked on my dashboard, the audio connector would definitely be best on the bottom.
Iconoclysm is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:51 PM   #45
huntercr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Have you considered selling your old phone and including the peripherals?

Also...You don't HAVE to upgrade. Apple has been very good about supporting the older devices. I have a feeling we'll see the iPhone 4 supported into 2016. That's pretty good milage for a phone. Unless there's some major CPU revolution or massive application, I think we've kind of peaked for a little while when if comes to CPU need for baseline needs of a smart phone.
huntercr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:51 PM   #46
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarra View Post
Where did the photo of the phone below come from? That is the more interesting story here!
Old pic. Been around for weeks.
sulpfiction is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:53 PM   #47
Uncle David
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatian View Post
Yes because the case for the 4/4S would fit a longer iPhone

First they complain that they want a redesign, then they complain because stuff doesn't work anymore. Wake up...this is Apple. They make money on selling you incremental increases year after year. You're either in or your out. I for one am still waiting for an iPod with a good sound quality on their amp, but this will never happen...Apple does what is best for them...

If for the obligatory "Steve wouldn't have allowed that"
I would respond to your first point, but it makes no sense.

As to your second point, I've never asked for a redesign. Most of the people I see demanding a redesign are Fandroids. I have an iPad that I love. Why would I want a huge smartphone? I want something small like my iPhone 4 that easily fits into my pocket, yet provides me with the options I need.
Uncle David is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:53 PM   #48
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihakim View Post
Right, then you just need to go by HDMI cables and all of the current accessories will be incompatible not just from a dock standpoint but from every other possible point too. Micro USB is a really chintzy connection, I like that so many devices use it but at the same time it's so useless for anything but charging and syncing. Even the new revisions to it hardly make up for that.
Iconoclysm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:53 PM   #49
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Damn didn't see this extra bit to the discussion first. Exactly, who cares which way up it is in your pocket, you can't see it in that state! But every time you get it out! This is going to shave off several seconds, and make it less likely to be dropped.
MartiNZ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:54 PM   #50
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley3k View Post
I run with my phone using the Nike GPS Running app and I'm always holding the phone upside down, so the cable is closer to my body and out of the way.

The app doesn't recognize the orientation of my phone and re-display like it could, so I have to turn the phone around again when I stop or slow down to read the screen.

So personally, I welcome the new headphone jack location.
Strange problem. Doesn't seem to bother the runners in Central Park.
sinsin07 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion