Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
But if you have the jack at the bottom you have to have your phone upside down in your pocket. I don't like that.

Think about how easy it will be to pull the phone out of your pocket to use it. After you pull it out, you're naturally holding it in it's portrait position. This was something Apple should have done long ago, like the iPod Touch.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
But if you have the jack at the bottom you have to have your phone upside down in your pocket. I don't like that.

Maybe he walks on his hands.

----------

Think about how easy it will be to pull the phone out of your pocket to use it. After you pull it out, you're naturally holding it in it's portrait position. This was something Apple should have done long ago, like the iPod Touch.

People do this now, no problem.

Tcache

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
To everyone complaining about having to buy new cords, chargers, etc for the new adapter.... It's been a long time since the iPhone was introduced or even the iPod in that sense. I think it's ok to change it up, hopefully it will be beneficial to the mechanics of the phone.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
To everyone complaining about having to buy new cords and chargers and such for the new adapter.... It's been a long time since the iPhone was introduced or even the iPod in that sense. I think it's ok to change it up, hopefully it will be beneficial to the mechanics of the phone.

Yeah I agree, the dock connector is old and outdated :)

B

bikemonkey

please pardon me while i go and throw away all my chargers and money

Why, what's wrong with the iPhone you (presumably) have now? Why do some people feel as though they must upgrade if clearly it isn't the right thing to do? :confused:.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
People do this now, no problem.[/QUOTE]

True.

This will also help cable management in the vehicle, if one uses a mount or bracket, though the new design might mean new accessory.

jmlg

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
Peoria, AZ
30 pin plus 8 pin?

I suppose that we can plan on seeing a 30 pin/8 pin combo cable like the ones pictures above, right? I would love to see that as I will be in a bi-pinned household when the new iPhone comes out.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Come on Apple, just use Micro USB and give us consumers a break...

Micro USB sucks. Worst connector I have ever used. It's always loose, and moving around and does not hold in very well. I'm glad they did not go with micro usb and decided to come up with a better design that will snap in and hold.

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland

Exactly, then u hav to put it upside down plus it looks ugly now!
Asymetric one size with the jack hole !

I also think by the way that the nre iphone looks wider!!
Oh i wish its true even i dont think so :-(

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
This is exactly what irritates me about the new design. The loss of the several hundred dollars in peripherals, cases and adapters I'll sustain due to needless redesigns. Going to have to think long and hard about whether to get an iPhone 4S or the new iPhone. :mad:

You think Apple cares?

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
Running

I run with my phone using the Nike GPS Running app and I'm always holding the phone upside down, so the cable is closer to my body and out of the way.

The app doesn't recognize the orientation of my phone and re-display like it could, so I have to turn the phone around again when I stop or slow down to read the screen.

So personally, I welcome the new headphone jack location.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
This is exactly what irritates me about the new design. The loss of the several hundred dollars in peripherals, cases and adapters I'll sustain due to needless redesigns. Going to have to think long and hard about whether to get an iPhone 4S or the new iPhone. :mad:

Haha you funny guy!

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

Or you get one adapter that attaches to the bottom of your phone when you need it and all of your devices work...or buy several of them for your devices that are permanently attached. 10 years between connectors is enough to warrant a change, this isn't really so bad.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Still don't like how they have the earphone jack at the bottom. It just seems so... wrong.

I maintain it is the most important feature change the iPhone has seen in its 5 years in the wild. It is going to be so much more comfortable to use for music this way, AND the phone will be the right way up when you take it out of your pocket - madness! Can't wait.

As for the dock connector, presumably the old wall chargers will still work as they take the other end of the cable :), and I never even considered any other accessories ... given that this is almost definitely shipping before the windows phone 8 phones, I think it's a no-brainer now.

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006

Have you considered selling your old phone and including the peripherals?

Also...You don't HAVE to upgrade. Apple has been very good about supporting the older devices. I have a feeling we'll see the iPhone 4 supported into 2016. That's pretty good milage for a phone. Unless there's some major CPU revolution or massive application, I think we've kind of peaked for a little while when if comes to CPU need for baseline needs of a smart phone.

Uncle David

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
Yes because the case for the 4/4S would fit a longer iPhone :rolleyes:

First they complain that they want a redesign, then they complain because stuff doesn't work anymore. Wake up...this is Apple. They make money on selling you incremental increases year after year. You're either in or your out. I for one am still waiting for an iPod with a good sound quality on their amp, but this will never happen...Apple does what is best for them...

If for the obligatory "Steve wouldn't have allowed that"

I would respond to your first point, but it makes no sense.

As to your second point, I've never asked for a redesign. Most of the people I see demanding a redesign are Fandroids. I have an iPad that I love. Why would I want a huge smartphone? I want something small like my iPhone 4 that easily fits into my pocket, yet provides me with the options I need.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Come on Apple, just use Micro USB and give us consumers a break...

Right, then you just need to go by HDMI cables and all of the current accessories will be incompatible not just from a dock standpoint but from every other possible point too. Micro USB is a really chintzy connection, I like that so many devices use it but at the same time it's so useless for anything but charging and syncing. Even the new revisions to it hardly make up for that.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand

Damn didn't see this extra bit to the discussion first. Exactly, who cares which way up it is in your pocket, you can't see it in that state! But every time you get it out! This is going to shave off several seconds, and make it less likely to be dropped.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I run with my phone using the Nike GPS Running app and I'm always holding the phone upside down, so the cable is closer to my body and out of the way.

The app doesn't recognize the orientation of my phone and re-display like it could, so I have to turn the phone around again when I stop or slow down to read the screen.

So personally, I welcome the new headphone jack location.

Strange problem. Doesn't seem to bother the runners in Central Park.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.