Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
lol running 5 OS in a VM at the same time. i can already hear the fan screaming for its life :D

i'm also just fine with my free oracle vm. they even supported win 8 before any of those expensive softwares

sam67uk

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Northern Ireland
Got the email!

Got the email from Parallels with my free upgrade to version 8. Best of all it only cost me £15! Traded in an old VMware Fusion serial when I upgraded to version 7 last week :D

unsignedbyte

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks, but no thanks

I won't spend 50 bucks every year for an update due parallels is not running on the previous version of OS X.

Last edited:

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
OVER the years, it's been: VMWare fusion = more stable, Parallels = more powerful (especially graphics wise)
I'm not sure about about now

Funnily enough, on one of my facebook's friends wall is a discussion about kernel panics and what causes them. According to everyone, including an ex-Apple kernel engineer, it's vmware... :)

----------

Got the email from Parallels with my free upgrade to version 8. Best of all it only cost me £15! Traded in an old VMware Fusion serial when I upgraded to version 7 last week :D

Woo! This is great! I had "upgraded" from parallels to vmware for $10 (I did have the original parallels when the original macbook pro came out :)) And now I can "upgrade" back for $30. Wooo!!! Thanks! :)

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2012
I'm really put off by the fact that their screen shot only has Windows and OS/X.

Why no Linux? Why no Haiku OS?

I guess those aren't made by big corporations that spy on their own customers, so Parallels doesn't care. Snobs.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
What's the benefit of going windows 8 again? From what I see, it was designed for touch devices. Won't the key benefits be lost on an apple laptop or iMac with no touchscreen features? :confused:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Funnily enough, on one of my facebook's friends wall is a discussion about kernel panics and what causes them. According to everyone, including an ex-Apple kernel engineer, it's vmware... :)

Interesting. That certainly explains why I NEVER saw a kernel panic when using VMWare.

You know, VMWare is used heavily in large data centers. Parallels not so much. If VMWare were so unstable, I guess that picture would look different.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Funnily enough, on one of my facebook's friends wall is a discussion about kernel panics and what causes them. According to everyone, including an ex-Apple kernel engineer, it's vmware... :)[
I never got a KP with Vmware, yet when I used parallels, it was a common issue at the time.

Good-Apollo

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009

----------

Woo! This is great! I had "upgraded" from parallels to vmware for $10 (I did have the original parallels when the original macbook pro came out :)) And now I can "upgrade" back for $30. Wooo!!! Thanks! :)

I need some new Facebook friends... all of mine are banging off about there kids, the job centre, benefits, general Jeremy Kyle style garbage...

jasonlasky

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
Byron Bay
Don't I need a windows licence to run it?

What will it cost to run windows on mac?
I just want to test websites in IE8 and 9.
Will parallels give me win8?

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
No support for allocating more than 8gb RAM to either vm yet? Many of us are running 16gb or even 32gb on our machines and the slider max is still only 8gb. Has this been increased in version 8 I wonder? I'll probably upgrade anyways but it would be nice to know beforehand. :)

I am using 12gb RAM only upgraded from 4gb, hardware purchased in 2010. Maybe it is to take older machines into account?

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Will parallels give me win8?
No, you need to buy that separately. What that will cost depends on what you have already...MS are going to offer existing Windows owners $40 upgrades once Windows 8 is released through public channels.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I'm really put off by the fact that their screen shot only has Windows and OS/X.

Why no Linux? Why no Haiku OS?

I guess those aren't made by big corporations that spy on their own customers, so Parallels doesn't care. Snobs.
.. Maybe it's because the overwhelming majority of VM users want to run OSX or Windows variants? Linux doesn't have a coherent single image either so a grab doesn't work as well.

Haiku though? Nobody would recognise it so it wouldn't really illustrate much.

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Well, that's all good news. I had feared that I wouldn't get the free upgrade because I bought mine just before they officially announced v8. Normally I would not have bothered but v6 was apparently incompatible for Mountain Lion so I bought my upgrade to v7 for peanuts since I still had a license for v1 of VMWare Fusion.

By and large I'm not that interested in upgrading Parallels - it's run fine for years and I'm not really bothered about the extra features. It's also one of those programs that I use infrequently but it is damned useful when I do need it.

DT39

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
Missed the free upgrade by 2 days :mad:
But i will upgrade anyways as i have retina Macbook pro.

FlexPen76

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Looks like you can buy the upgrade from VMWare fusion for $29.99 which should qualify for Parallels 8.

Click on the VMWare Fusion Doesnt cut it anymore link from the product page

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.