Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A number of photos of the rear shell of the "iPad mini", both alleged actual parts and physical mockups, have been leaking in recent weeks, but a Nowhereelse.fr points to a new set [Google translation] at Chinese site NetEase showing in fairly good detail both the interior and exterior of the shell. The part is alleged to be a legitimate rear shell leaked from an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) in Shenzhen, China.

netease_ipad_mini_shell_1.jpg
The pictures show a number of details of the rear shell, including the opening for Apple's smaller dock connector expected to debut on the iPhone 5 next week, a rear camera hole, and the interior lip where the display and front panel will be attached. The shell appears to be for a Wi-Fi model, as it lacks a cutout for a SIM card and an open section along the top edge for a plastic window covering where the cellular antennas would be.

netease_ipad_mini_shell_2.jpg
As with other recently-leaked photos, the rear shell shows relatively little tapering compared to the current full-size iPad, instead carrying a rounded, almost partial bullnose profile along the sides.

netease_ipad_mini_shell_3.jpg
While Apple is holding a media event next Wednesday, the company is said to be focusing on the new iPhone for this event and planning a separate media event for October to introduce the iPad mini.

Article Link: New Photos Show Details of Alleged 'iPad Mini' Rear Shell

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
If iPad Mini happens, I'm definitely getting one! :) For some reason, it looks thick from those angles.

tambourine-man

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
I'm really liking where the uni-body is taking Apple.
can't wait to see how that simple idea influences the company

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Am I the only one who notices that something is not quite right in the first pic?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I thought the new dock connector design needed the headphone port next to it (i.e., on the bottom) ... not seeing this in the case ... ?

kylebshr

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Tennessee
If iPad Mini happens, I'm definitely getting one! :) For some reason, it looks thick from those angles.

It seems much thinner if you compare the new dock connector on the iPhone 5 shells with the one on here for a size comparison. It looks thick, I think, because we have the iPad 1/2/3 size stuck in our head comparing it.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
From that first picture, the edge profile looks a lot more comfortable to hold than the second and third gen iPads. I hope that's the case—not a fan of the sharply tapered edges.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
$299 - iPad Mini 16GB
$399 - iPad Mini 32GB
$499 - iPad Mini 64GB

You heard it here first folks.

Idk. It's questionable if they would make the iPad mini available in a 64GB.

If the iPad mini is legit, it's gonna be a hit product.

But I wouldn't trade in my new iPad for the anything.

DUDEMANGUY5

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Am I the only one here who thinks it is a fake? Why is there no glass apple on the back for wifi?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Am I the only one who likes the new design on this and on the iPhone 5? I originally got upset over the new Dock Connector, but then I realized how nice it is and how opportune a moment it is for them to update the port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.