Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Am I the only one who notices that something is not quite right in the first pic?

No. Looks screwy. The word iPad and the dock connector are nowhere near the center of the pad. The site logo on the left helps to offset the asymetrical-ness but yeah, it looks pretty fake.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Most likely fake, there's no Apple logo cutout. Remember that this is where the Wi-Fi antenna goes since it can't go through metal.

No cutout = No WiFi.

It should have a cutout like this:
ipad-3-hi-res_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpeg

EDIT: The Wi-Fi antenna could still go somewhere else, such as in the front bezel.

It's also weird that the "iPad" logo appears to have a reflective finish. All products names on aluminium are usually laser engraved in black, like this:

iB0I3Ku_FO9g.jpg

mbpdsc04276.jpg

Last edited:

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I'm glad to see it's widescreen. Movies are gonna look awesome on this!:D

Most of the leaked designs show a 4:3 screen with large bezel above and below the screen and a narrower bezel on the left and right sides. That's why the case looks like a different ratio than the normal iPad.

Suspended
May 3, 2011
No. Looks screwy. The word iPad and the dock connector are nowhere near the center of the pad. The site logo on the left helps to offset the asymetrical-ness but yeah, it looks pretty fake.

As an engineer, this looks like a mood. Maybe even something that's been made on a 3d printer. If this is supposed to be the alu back plate there's very litte signs of machining. Compare a iPad 2 rear shell and see how much more detail there is in it.
Or the iPad mini will have a plastic rear sheel which I can't see happening.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
Aren't the holes for the mute/screen rotation lock button an volume rockers on the wrong side? Shouldn't they be on the opposite side to the camera?

O and A

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New York City
Am I the only one here who thinks it is a fake? Why is there no glass apple on the back for wifi?

You mean kind of like the same way there is no glass on the of the current ipads? NOt sure why you would need glass on the back. I 'm really not following your logicon this at all.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
I take it this is the wifi version. Will 3G or LTE be offered too? Can't recall reading anything regarding that? I don't see where the black plastic strip at the top goes to pick up the signals.

Also, if one were to add it to their shared dta plans... Would a mini iPad be only $5 bucks versus the larger one at $10? :D:rolleyes:
/
/

chiraagd

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2012
By my calculation (based off this picture), the iPad mini would be approximately 8.1" x 5.5" (instead of 9.5" x 7.3")

Accounting for the 7.85" screen, the side bezels would be approximately half the width of the current iPad (0.4" instead of 0.75").

The top and bottom bezels would be the same as the iPad.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
I take it this is the wifi version. Will 3G or LTE be offered too? Can't recall reading anything regarding that? I don't see where the black plastic strip at the top goes to pick up the signals.

Also, if one were to add it to their shared dta plans... Would a mini iPad be only $5 bucks versus the larger one at $10? :D:rolleyes:
/
/

No.

slimbek

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
As an engineer, this looks like a mood. Maybe even something that's been made on a 3d printer. If this is supposed to be the alu back plate there's very litte signs of machining. Compare a iPad 2 rear shell and see how much more detail there is in it.
Or the iPad mini will have a plastic rear sheel which I can't see happening.

It does look very simple/clean for a finished shell - and it is missing the apple logo.
Perhaps it is a 3D print concept or some such... it really doesn't really look like machined aluminium.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Flanking speaker grill?

That is not on the iPad3.

Sign of move to stereo sound, or mic and speaker layout like iPhone.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
$299 - iPad Mini 16GB
$399 - iPad Mini 32GB
$499 - iPad Mini 64GB

You heard it here first folks.

Considering the ridiculously cheap price of flash storage, (~$1 per GB) they won't offer an 8GB version.

Source for the ~$1 per GB statement: http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/New-iPad-32-GB-4G-Carries-364-35-Bill-of-Materials.aspx

If flash storage is really only $1/GB doesn't that only prove Apple is bilking people on their storage capacities when they charge $100 more on each tier of storage on the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch and refuse to add a MicroSD card slot so you can upgrade the capacity yourself?

That's up to $6.25 per gigabtye for more storage on the middle tier products (32 GB).

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
If flash storage is really only $1/GB doesn't that only prove Apple is bilking people on their storage capacities when they charge $100 more on each tier of storage on the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch and refuse to add a MicroSD card slot so you can upgrade the capacity yourself?

That's up to $6.25 per gigabtye for more storage on the middle tier products (32 GB).

First of all, that's an ignorant comment.

You're not taking into account the hundreds of millions of dollars they spent on R&D. (And then there's shipping fees, rent to pay on all their worldwide locations, electrical bills, employees to pay, etc.)

Second of all, why are you targeting "Apple" and "iPad/iPhone/iPod" about 'milking' the customer, when every single company does this?

cyruslemont

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
My dream iPad mini: 64GB with 3g. If they offer such a model, I'll sell my iPad 3 and pounce :D

You've got to be kidding me, this is just going to be a cheaper replacement for the iPad 2 but smaller, no way will it have the same retina resolution as the iPad 3. I really don't see the purpose in this device for current owners of an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.