Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Something I got to thinking about the other day.. They're only at iOS6 beta 4. AFAIK, there hasn't been a GM release. While I realize they could drop the GM any day now, don't they usually have a 2 week windows from GM release to full blown roll-out? Wondering how they're going to get iOS6 finished in time.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Something I got to thinking about the other day.. They're only at iOS6 beta 4. AFAIK, there hasn't been a GM release. While I realize they could drop the GM any day now, don't they usually have a 2 week windows from GM release to full blown roll-out? Wondering how they're going to get iOS6 finished in time.

The GM for iOS 5 came out October 4th last year, and launched October 12th, so not quite 2 weeks. iOS 6 is pretty well polished and stable, so I expect to see the GM next week at the event.

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
preorder

anyone with previous experiences, do we receive the phone on the 21st, or is that when they are shipped out. Wondering if i should preorder to my job or house.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
anyone with previous experiences, do we receive the phone on the 21st, or is that when they are shipped out. Wondering if i should preorder to my job or house.

Stuff is generally delivered to your house or workplace on the release date. My new iPads sat in the shipper's storage for 3 days before the release date. You have nothing to gain by standing in line overnight anymore, and you can get your on-line order laser engraved.

Ktulu

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Brownstown, MI
This may be an odd question but do most people pay full price through Apple for new phones and have them shipped?

I would have thought that you would wait for contract renewal and pay the subsidized price... If this is the case, then the preparation for heavy shipping could be for things other than iPhones...

Just wondering, I am sure this is not the case, but it is a possibility.. :D

UHFrank

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Houston, TX
no way, last year with the 4s they delivered the phone to a different house, i was tracking it, saw that it was delievered, wasn't in the front door, walked around the street and saw it on another door step. granted this was an isolated incident, i still won't pre order.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
Luckily this double down on secrecy will allow most support services and vendors time to ramp up staffing levels to accomdate some random unpredicted surge volume of a potential unannounced unbranded idevice. ;) Hopefully law enforcement will ramp up road beat patrols and crowd controls too.

nedman

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
WOW! It sounds like there might be a new iPhone launched later this month! :eek::eek::eek:

Next up.... "STARBUCKS prepared for surge in late-night coffee drinkers waiting in line overnight for new iPhone"

Haha made me chuckle!

When waiting in line at Aberdeen union square for the iPhone 4 just over 2 years ago Starbucks and costa employees were taking orders for delivery to everyone waiting :D

Pretty sure they opened early that morning aswell.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
no way, last year with the 4s they delivered the phone to a different house, i was tracking it, saw that it was delievered, wasn't in the front door, walked around the street and saw it on another door step. granted this was an isolated incident, i still won't pre order.

Don't they specifically require a signature?! I had my free iPhone case shipped to me and they refused not only to change the address mid-transit, but I couldn't leave a signed note, the signed notice that I wasn't there, OR even have them leave it with a neighbor. They would only accept it from someone who opened the damn door of my house.

I find it strange that they would leave a $700 phone at a front door.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Getting in on the pre-order is the way to go. I received my iPhone 4 at home at 10am on launch day by FedEx while people waited on lines.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
This may be an odd question but do most people pay full price through Apple for new phones and have them shipped?

I would have thought that you would wait for contract renewal and pay the subsidized price... If this is the case, then the preparation for heavy shipping could be for things other than iPhones...

You can get the subsidized price and have them shipped. And most people know when the new iPhone is coming out so they'll wait to use their upgrade or they'll convince their carrier to let them do an early upgrade.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Don't they specifically require a signature?! I had my free iPhone case shipped to me and they refused not only to change the address mid-transit, but I couldn't leave a signed note, the signed notice that I wasn't there, OR even have them leave it with a neighbor. They would only accept it from someone who opened the damn door of my house.

I find it strange that they would leave a $700 phone at a front door.

If you order from apple directly.....once it's shipped....you can go to apples site,login,see your order and print out a realese authorization form for FedEx. To my knowledge that's the only one they'll (fedex) except.
I can confirm ....because I've done this in the past with my apple Tv's

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Getting in on the pre-order is the way to go. I received my iPhone 4 at home at 10am on launch day by FedEx while people waited on lines.

Got mine the one day before launch. Pre-order is definately the way to go.

Hope pre-orders start right after event.....(wishful thinking)

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Got mine the one day before launch. Pre-order is definately the way to go.

Hope pre-orders start right after event.....(wishful thinking)

I don't (being selfish)....because I'll be in a meeting that day and won't be in front of a computer to Pre-order. I hope they do it that upcoming Friday like years past.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
WOW! It sounds like there might be a new iPhone launched later this month! :eek::eek::eek:

Next up.... "STARBUCKS prepared for surge in late-night coffee drinkers waiting in line overnight for new iPhone"

Or Pre-order and sleep.
Play with new toy nice and refreshed in the morning

----------

I don't (being selfish)....because I'll be in a meeting that day and won't be in front of a computer to Pre-order. I hope they do it that upcoming Friday like years past.

Most likely that will be the case but I have prepared for either senario :)

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
This is news to me! I work for FedEx and we have a huge AT&T distribution center where I live. About the only noticeable difference around iPhone launch time is increased security. I have never known FedEx to block time off or training for anything other than Christmas.

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Apple's systems are tied in with the carrier systems. So you pay the subsidized price when ordering from Apple (if you are eligible).

arn

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I just hope Apple's servers are up to the "surge volume" of online orders they're going to receive the minute ordering opens. I spent about two hours clicking and reclicking the last time the iPad went on sale. For that matter, AT&T better get its act together as well since there will be verification needed from their end.

IMO, Verizon will have more of a load challenge this time around than at&t. :apple:

iDrummer3

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2012
Middle TN
I can't understand why people are already dead set on pre ordering without even seeing the device officially. I have the 3GS, 4S, and new iPad and can't bring myself to buy another idevice with only upgrade (allegedly) a .5 inch bigger screen. iOS 6 is not a huge upgrade and honestly I'm just tired of using the same os. I love iOS but I think ios 6 should have introduced a different UI.

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2009
Lol I love how people except a user interface to entertain them....

It should have a new UI? What??? Lets just reinvent what works beautifully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.