Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:45 AM   #51
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

This is all getting rather confusing now. Seems like we are moving from a basic 2 size policy - 3.5" iPhone/iPod and 9.7" iPad - to a multitude of different sizes all in one go - 2.5" iPod Nano, 3.5" iPod Touch, 4" iPhone, 7.85" iPad Mini, 9.7" iPad. What are they going to do about the AppStore? Are we going to have 5 different versions for each app to accommodate all the different screen sizes? Seems a bit confused to me.

Why do we need 3 iPods when sales of iPods are falling every quarter? Why not just merge the shuffle and the nano into a smartwatch which is what so many people want, then update the touch to a 4" screen so it can continue to play nice with iPhone apps.
Shaun, UK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:51 AM   #52
tann
macrumors 65816

hope they don't make it less suitable for being a wristwatch(too big etc)! Was thinking of jumping on the nano wristwatch bandwagon this year!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:24 PM   #53
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroll32 View Post
Typical Apple... Their designs have come full-circle once more!

Come to think of it, why not just call it the iPod Mini? Makes sense since we already have a Mac Mini and a supposed iPad Mini.
You know there has already been an iPod mini right? I still have mine in a drawer somewhere.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
This is all getting rather confusing now. Seems like we are moving from a basic 2 size policy - 3.5" iPhone/iPod and 9.7" iPad - to a multitude of different sizes all in one go - 2.5" iPod Nano, 3.5" iPod Touch, 4" iPhone, 7.85" iPad Mini, 9.7" iPad. What are they going to do about the AppStore? Are we going to have 5 different versions for each app to accommodate all the different screen sizes? Seems a bit confused to me.

Why do we need 3 iPods when sales of iPods are falling every quarter? Why not just merge the shuffle and the nano into a smartwatch which is what so many people want, then update the touch to a 4" screen so it can continue to play nice with iPhone apps.
What this will mean is we will have monster sized universal apps and people will be wishing they bought larger capacity iPhones.
dontwalkhand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 01:44 PM   #54
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by the future View Post
Yeah? I call separate, dedicated wrist device...
Do you mean another non-Nano iPod that's in a wristwatch form factor? Ain't happening.
ctyrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 02:15 PM   #55
NewAnger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMactablet View Post
Will the iPod Classic just die already
I hope they continue to sell it. I wouldn't mind picking up a spare.
NewAnger is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 02:26 PM   #56
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Guys, this is a "post-PC era"; these aren't new iPod's, they're new Mac's! Who needs a big, desktop iMac when you can do everything from HD rendering in FCPX to AutoCAD work right on your Nano and iPad's? Mac Pro's and iMac's are soooo 2010!

/sarcasm
bedifferent is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 03:34 PM   #57
apolloa
macrumors 68040

Hmmmm, Apple can't seem to settle on a Nano design? They had the first one and then the fatboy one before reverting to the long one again, then last year we had the tiny square which everyone turned into a watch, and now another new one?
I thought last years was pretty cool actually.

Meh I don't care, my fatboy lives in a Belkin case in my car. One of the best presents I ever got as I have tons of music on the go.

As for the touch? iPad mini???
apolloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 03:56 PM   #58
iSee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoblack3 View Post
Ideally, she needs an inexpensive iPod Touch, I think the Nano is too simple for her!
Yeah, I agree, but she dosn't... too big... too complicated. Heh.
And actually, she has an iPhone, so why does she need a separate iPod at all???
But that's the way she wants it.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:14 PM   #59
Pianoblack3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSee View Post
Yeah, I agree, but she dosn't... too big... too complicated. Heh.
And actually, she has an iPhone, so why does she need a separate iPod at all???
But that's the way she wants it.
Well, actually, now that I know she has an iPhone I can understand her want for a smaller device mainly for music. Although, wanting WiFi and stuff… meh :')
Pianoblack3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:51 PM   #60

More like an iPod Mini redux...I loved that design!
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 05:18 PM   #61
oddbob
macrumors newbie

Images removed!
oddbob is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 05:27 PM   #62
sexiewasd
macrumors regular

I would really like to see a nano with wifi + front camera + FaceTime on a watch. I have no clue how they would pull that off, but it would be sweet, and it would sell as an accessory for almost everyone getting an iPhone, because who wouldn't want that tethered to their phone? "Hold on, I've got an incoming message on my wrist communicator!"
sexiewasd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 07:20 PM   #63
Jjaro
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
iPod Nano is doubled in size? And no longer suitable as a wrist device (which Apple promoted at the last event)?

I call BS.
Here's hoping they keep the current Nano, albeit updated software and storage wise, and this "new" Nano is a mid range device between the current Nano and the iPod touch. Maybe a "Mini iPod Touch" or "iPod Touch Mini"? I love my Nano for working out, and I don't want to see it go away!!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 09:14 PM   #64
TheJae
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to TheJae
anyone got a mirror link to those images?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 09:17 PM   #65
nia820
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMactablet View Post
Will the iPod Classic just die already
When iPod touches start coming in 160 gb then ill toss my iPod classic away.
nia820 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 04:03 AM   #66
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

So.. they are going to make a device... called the 'Nano'.... bigger?

Can't see it myself. I and at least 4 other people I know bought one to stick in a watch strap. It's great even if your phone runs or running out of battery you still have audio via your watch!

I think Apple would be mad not to jump on the whole connected watch game. Even if it's the same form factor, not a watch with strap ( can imagine geniuses (geniusi ?!?) in store taking links out of straps. ) it could have Bluetooth 4 with call information, texts and other alerts and how about in the future camera / speaker / mic for proper wrist videophone action - but all actual call is via the iphone. plus the added bonus of Bluetooth headphones form the nano.
prowlmedia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 04:06 AM   #67
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a

The nano could really use a redesign, I was not found of the overall look, the black border feels off among other things, curious what a new design may look like. I still prefer the fifth generation to the sixth, looked nicer and could do more, buttons are not that bad, touch screen on something the size of a postage stamp is not really a selling feature for me.

Last edited by Xiroteus; Sep 8, 2012 at 04:20 AM.
Xiroteus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 04:08 AM   #68
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJae View Post
anyone got a mirror link to those images?
Just imagine a Nano v1 plastic case with a couple of holes cut out.
prowlmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:00 PM   #69
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
The nano could really use a redesign
I've always found the nano a somewhat interesting and odd device.

Whoever is responsible for it must have a lot of power at Apple.

It never dies... not that I want it to. Just sayin...
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:21 PM   #70
dominic252
macrumors member

My thoughts: iPod nano stays the same. This case isn't for a nano, though. They rerelease the iPod mini, which resembles a small iPod touch, renamed simply "iPod".
dominic252 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:29 PM   #71
the future
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
Do you mean another non-Nano iPod that's in a wristwatch form factor? Ain't happening.
I don't think they'd call this device an iPod...

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion