Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:14 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Announces Major iTunes Update Coming Next Month [Update: Version 10.7 Released Today]

Apple announced a new version of iTunes at today's media event featuring a "dramatically simpler" interface with an edge-to-edge design.
Quote:
We created iTunes because we love music and we're going back to our roots with an incredibly clean design that keeps your music at the forefront," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "The new iTunes works seamlessly with iCloud, always keeping your entire library at your fingertips, and we're adding great new features that make listening to your music more fun.
The updated media application will show albums in a grid interface with song listings unfolding below the album cover art when clicked. Searching is improved, showing inline results as you type and the MiniPlayer has been redesigned to show a miniature version of the album cover art and album and song information and playback controls.

The updated iTunes will also get iCloud integration to show all your media content saved in Apple's cloud storage service and save your position in movies or TV shows automatically so that you can pick up where you left off on another device.

The new version of iTunes will be available in late October.

Update: A new version of iTunes, version 10.7, has been released. It "adds support for iOS 6 running on compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models. This update also adds support for the latest iPod nano and iPod shuffle models."

Article Link: Apple Announces Major iTunes Update Coming Next Month [Update: Version 10.7 Released Today]
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:15 PM   #2
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

so glad they added 'up next'/play queue.
charlieegan3 is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:19 PM   #3
wikus
Banned

I wish they made a separate application for JUST music that isnt a memory hogging piece of crap

I among many others don't need support for movies, ebooks, an online app store, iphone, ipad, ipod, integration and all that other crap.

Just give us a nice, simple and quick application for managing and playing back MP3s! The only viable option is Enqueue but its not getting much updates and while Vox is an awesome small mp3 player, it lacks a proper library.
wikus is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:21 PM   #4
camomac
macrumors 6502a

Cool! Very interested in seeing the new design.
camomac is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:23 PM   #5
tiwizard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
so glad they added 'up next'/play queue.
Same.

Now all they need is iTunes Match for movies so I can get rid of my external HDD full of rips
tiwizard is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:25 PM   #6
lmddawson
macrumors member

Hated the update at first, but glad we can still get back to the list option. Finally, there's a play next feature! Awesome! Was expecting a download available straight away, though. Late October
lmddawson is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Macrolido
macrumors regular

Hope still supports Snow Leopard.
Macrolido is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:27 PM   #8
newagemac
macrumors 68000

I hope they kept Home Sharing so that my wife and I can continue sharing apps, books, movies, and music without having to share an iTunes account on our computers or devices.

Since in iOS6, we don't even need to enter passwords for updates, Home Sharing is hands down the best way to do it. The old way of sharing by using the same iTunes Store apple id is now officially dead.
newagemac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:29 PM   #9
moderngamenewb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiwizard View Post
Same.

Now all they need is iTunes Match for movies so I can get rid of my external HDD full of rips
I agree with you, as I have some movies from my own collection that I ripped, but I highly doubt that would happen
moderngamenewb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmddawson View Post
Was expecting a download available straight away, though. Late October
Yeah, this is weird. It seems to damper hope for an Oct iPad Mini event. Else, why not announce the new iTunes then?
Cougarcat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Porco
macrumors 68000

The first screenshot I saw scared me a lot, because it looked like the terrible iPad music app. Hopefully they buried features rather than threw them out altogether.

I might be in the minority, but iTunes has always worked fine for me most of the time…
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:50 PM   #12
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a

Ughhh...... noo!!! Why!??? I like the classic iTunes layout just fine thank you very much. Apple is digging themselves into a grave through their obsession with constantly changing things.

We'll be able to have the list view for now, but down the road it won't be an option anymore.
StephenCampbell is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:03 PM   #13
muthuka
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to muthuka
iTunes 10.7 available now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple announced a new version of iTunes at today's media event featuring a "dramatically simpler" interface with an edge-to-edge design.

The updated media application will show albums in a grid interface with song listings unfolding below the album cover art when clicked. Searching is improved, showing inline results as you type and the mini-player has been redesigned to show a miniature version of the album cover art and album and song information and playback controls.

The updated iTunes will also get iCloud integration to show all your media content saved in Apple's cloud storage service and save your position in movies automatically so that you can pick up where you left off on another device.

The new version of iTunes will be available in late October.

Article Link: Apple Announces Major iTunes Update
No idea what Apple is saying on its iTunes pages. iTunes landing page says, 10.7 will be available in October. But it's now available at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/. It's not what they showed on the demo or the site!

Steve........

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmddawson View Post
Hated the update at first, but glad we can still get back to the list option. Finally, there's a play next feature! Awesome! Was expecting a download available straight away, though. Late October
10.7 is available now at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
muthuka is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:03 PM   #14
FoxMcCloud
macrumors 6502

Thankfully it isnt skeumorphed. I half expected it to be a large vinyl that you span with the mouse.

I hope it is rebuilt from the ground up and not just a reskin. Also hope iOS/iPod management has been divorced out of it into its own management app, but thats probably wishful logical thinking.
FoxMcCloud is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:09 PM   #15
GunZi
macrumors 6502

10.7 is available now at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/[/QUOTE]

Says 10.6.3 when i hit the link
GunZi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:10 PM   #16
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthuka View Post
10.7 is available now[/url]
10.7 just adds support for new iPhones and iPods. The new version in October will probably be 11.
milo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:10 PM   #17
GunZi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No idea what Apple is saying on its iTunes pages. iTunes landing page says, 10.7 will be available in October. But it's now available at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/. It's not what they showed on the demo or the site!

Steve........

----------

says 10.6.3 when i hit the link
GunZi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:11 PM   #18
karsten
macrumors 6502a

it appears cover flow is gone? i kind of liked that..
karsten is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:12 PM   #19
melchior
macrumors 65816

still hoping naively that there will an option for increased itunes match...
melchior is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:12 PM   #20
FoxMcCloud
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Steve........

----------

10.7 is just normal itunes with ios6 support.

next itunes will be itunes 11 i bet. or iTunes X hopefully.
FoxMcCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:13 PM   #21
Fritzy
macrumors newbie

Sonora

Reminds me of Sonora.
Fritzy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:17 PM   #22
NATO
macrumors 68000

Not happy at all with the way they've made iTunes like the iPad app, where browsing by artist is done by a grid of album art squares. It's so clumsy compared to a nice list where you can just scroll down by name. I really hope the standard column browser is still included otherwise I'll just hold on to the current version.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:18 PM   #23
melchior
macrumors 65816

Here's what you get from the install...

Quote:
What's new in iTunes*10.7

iTunes 10.7 adds support for iOS 6 running on compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models. This update also adds support for the latest iPod nano and iPod shuffle models.
melchior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:19 PM   #24
orbital~debris
macrumors regular

10.7 is available for download now if you go to apple.com/itunes/download.
It's seems to be something of an interim release to support new products, until the new iTunes is available in late October.
orbital~debris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:19 PM   #25
muthuka
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to muthuka
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunZi View Post
Says 10.6.3 when i hit the link [/QUOTE]

Try again
muthuka is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion