Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:26 PM   #26
MacDav
Banned

How about merging my 3 Apple, iTunes and iCloud I.D.'s into one I.D. ?
MacDav is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:27 PM   #27
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
so happy
i was like there have got to be something to download today
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:28 PM   #28
wankey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
I wish they made a separate application for JUST music that isnt a memory hogging piece of crap

I among many others don't need support for movies, ebooks, an online app store, iphone, ipad, ipod, integration and all that other crap.

Just give us a nice, simple and quick application for managing and playing back MP3s! The only viable option is Enqueue but its not getting much updates and while Vox is an awesome small mp3 player, it lacks a proper library.
We all have 4gb - 8gb of ram. It doesn't hog memory.
wankey is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:28 PM   #29
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020

OS X 10.6.8 minimum required

Bye bye to legacy.

Unfortunately, that requires me to buy a new Mac before I buy this phone.
mdriftmeyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:29 PM   #30
Lynn Belvedere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCampbell View Post
Ughhh...... noo!!! Why!??? I like the classic iTunes layout just fine thank you very much. Apple is digging themselves into a grave through their obsession with constantly changing things.

We'll be able to have the list view for now, but down the road it won't be an option anymore.
iTunes is like 10 years old. Are you seriously freaking out because 10 year old software was updated?
Lynn Belvedere is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:31 PM   #31
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
will the Dev's be able test this?
ZacNicholson is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:32 PM   #32
bretm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMcCloud View Post
Thankfully it isnt skeumorphed. I half expected it to be a large vinyl that you span with the mouse.

I hope it is rebuilt from the ground up and not just a reskin. Also hope iOS/iPod management has been divorced out of it into its own management app, but thats probably wishful logical thinking.
If you have an iPhone and iCloud it's pretty easy to break the bond. My music is all iTunes match. No more syncing there. My contacts, email and calendar are all in the cloud. No syncing there. My photos are synced with iPhoto and occur automagically with photo stream.

So, even with an iPod, the only thing you should have to sync with is for music. But if you're on iTunes match, you can just download what music you want when you're on wifi, so there's no need even for that.

So, maybe for movies? Are people really syncing movies to their iPod and iPhone? Rentals are downloaded and streamed. for iPhone.

What are people plugging in for?
bretm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:33 PM   #33
Rushli0n
macrumors regular

I'm curious about the iCloud integration they reference. "Start playing a movie on one device and pick it up on another". Will the movies I bought through iTunes show up in the new iTunes without me having to have a physical copy on my HDD? Are these just streamed on my Mac like they are on my Apple TV?

Not very clear, but that would be nice to free up some space.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:34 PM   #34
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
so glad they added 'up next'/play queue.
definitely. I can't tell though. can create as long a "up next" list as you want, or does it limit to 3 songs?
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:34 PM   #35
Imac Sam
macrumors regular

10.7 when I click on the link. Downloaded and installing now!
Imac Sam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:35 PM   #36
jacg
macrumors 6502a

I know there are iTunes haters but I consider myself someone who uses many of the deeper features on a daily basis. Album view was unveiled years ago and I've never used it since. I hope they don't use this 'new look' as a smokescreen for reduced functionality.

For example, QuickTime 7 -> QuickTime X.
jacg is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:41 PM   #37
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
iTunes is like 10 years old. Are you seriously freaking out because 10 year old software was updated?
This was no ordinary update. This is the beginning of the end. Everything is going to be swipe-swipe-swipe... iThis iThat from now on.... I'd be surprised if a Mac will be able to edit video professionally five years from now.
StephenCampbell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:45 PM   #38
Pianoblack3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrolido View Post
Hope still supports Snow Leopard.
Knowing Apple, i'm doubtful.

----------

I sure hope you can go back to list view though, the new view looks like the online store to me, and tbh, I just want to listen to my music!
Pianoblack3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:46 PM   #39
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATO View Post
Not happy at all with the way they've made iTunes like the iPad app, where browsing by artist is done by a grid of album art squares. It's so clumsy compared to a nice list where you can just scroll down by name. I really hope the standard column browser is still included otherwise I'll just hold on to the current version.
The list is still available, it's shown in some pictures from the keynote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankey View Post
We all have 4gb - 8gb of ram. It doesn't hog memory.
No we don't, and like hell it doesn't.
milo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:48 PM   #40
Lynn Belvedere
macrumors regular

Quote:
This was no ordinary update. This is the beginning of the end. Everything is going to be swipe-swipe-swipe... iThis iThat from now on.... I'd be surprised if a Mac will be able to edit video professionally five years from now.
I'll let you in on a little secret...

iTunes has become a complete joke of a software application. It is an antiquated, bloated mess and was badly in need of updating. iTunes is literally the worst thing Apple is associated with. It's even worse than their earbuds.

Trying to improve the absolute worst thing they provide is a good thing. It was in desperate need of a redesign.
Lynn Belvedere is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:50 PM   #41
PNutts
macrumors 601

Just visited the page. It's still offered as 10.6.3 but the file details say 10.7.0.21. Will post back if the installed version isn't 10.7. (Windows 7 x64).
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:50 PM   #42
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
If you have an iPhone and iCloud it's pretty easy to break the bond. My music is all iTunes match. No more syncing there. My contacts, email and calendar are all in the cloud. No syncing there. My photos are synced with iPhoto and occur automagically with photo stream.

So, even with an iPod, the only thing you should have to sync with is for music. But if you're on iTunes match, you can just download what music you want when you're on wifi, so there's no need even for that.

So, maybe for movies? Are people really syncing movies to their iPod and iPhone? Rentals are downloaded and streamed. for iPhone.

What are people plugging in for?
I am plugging in to keep my phone up to date, to sync music, photos, notes, etc.

I care not for all this cloud business, and I despise it with every ounce of my being.

I only hope that we're never forced into using it and that we can continue being normal people if we want who (god forbid) plug in our devices (alas, how inconvenient!) to transfer information between our devices, rather than relying on a useless and unreliable "cloud" syncing mechanism that people are only using because they literally didn't think twice before jumping on board.

Gahhhhh!!!!!!!! #%#*}*{*}^{%%}*{*}£<£|€\€^{^}%]^}*#*#^}^#
StephenCampbell is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:50 PM   #43
Awfisch
macrumors member

Finally good design!

I'm so happy to see a clean and simple UI. None of that skeuomorphism crap.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:52 PM   #44
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

What the heck? I just installed iTunes 10.7 the UI is still the same..
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:53 PM   #45
csjcsj
macrumors member

Yuck yuck and more yuck. When I want to listen to music, I want my music and not be slowed down while the program tries to load thousands of album covers, most of which aren't available. I'm sure the design works nicely for the people who have ten albums, but it is awful ...
csjcsj is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:53 PM   #46
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
iTunes is literally the worst thing Apple is associated with. It's even worse than their earbuds.
I'd argue that the music player app on iPad is far worse than iTunes. And it's hard to tell much from the screenshots they put up, but there's always the possibility they made iTunes more like that.

I would have said that trying to improve the bad music player in iOS 4 was a good thing...until I saw the one in iOS 5 where somehow they did make it worse.

Honestly I don't care much about an interface update, I'd just like to see it rewritten and run better, how about multithreading the thing so there aren't always beachballs any time you try and do something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Because it is the same. The new UI is version 11 and ships in October. Like it says in the article.
milo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:53 PM   #47
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Ughhh...... noo!!! Why!??? I like the classic iTunes layout just fine thank you very much. Apple is digging themselves into a grave through their obsession with constantly changing things.

We'll be able to have the list view for now, but down the road it won't be an option anymore.
You've had the last decade to enjoy the dated layout. Some things need refreshed. Were you as upset when system 7 got ditched for OS X?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:54 PM   #48
rockstarjoe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I am plugging in to keep my phone up to date, to sync music, photos, notes, etc.

I care not for all this cloud business, and I despise it with every ounce of my being.

I only hope that we're never forced into using it and that we can continue being normal people if we want who (god forbid) plug in our devices (alas, how inconvenient!) to transfer information between our devices, rather than relying on a useless and unreliable "cloud" syncing mechanism that people are only using because they literally didn't think twice before jumping on board.

Gahhhhh!!!!!!!! #%#*}*{*}^{%%}*{*}£<£|€\€^{^}%]^}*#*#^}^#
I actually kind of agree with you, but I wanted to point out that you CAN sync wirelessly with iTunes just like a normal sync, no cable required, no icloud required. Settings > General > iTunes Wi-Fi Sync. Needs to be enabled in iTunes first.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:54 PM   #49
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Read the thread. 10.7 is in place to support the changes in iOS6. This isn't the new iTunes they demoed today.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:55 PM   #50
TYMUL
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Its been iThis iThat since 1998 iMac
TYMUL is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion