Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
How about merging my 3 Apple, iTunes and iCloud I.D.'s into one I.D. ?

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
I wish they made a separate application for JUST music that isnt a memory hogging piece of crap

I among many others don't need support for movies, ebooks, an online app store, iphone, ipad, ipod, integration and all that other crap.

Just give us a nice, simple and quick application for managing and playing back MP3s! The only viable option is Enqueue but its not getting much updates and while Vox is an awesome small mp3 player, it lacks a proper library.

We all have 4gb - 8gb of ram. It doesn't hog memory.

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Ughhh...... noo!!! Why!??? I like the classic iTunes layout just fine thank you very much. Apple is digging themselves into a grave through their obsession with constantly changing things.

We'll be able to have the list view for now, but down the road it won't be an option anymore.

iTunes is like 10 years old. Are you seriously freaking out because 10 year old software was updated?

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Thankfully it isnt skeumorphed. I half expected it to be a large vinyl that you span with the mouse.

I hope it is rebuilt from the ground up and not just a reskin. Also hope iOS/iPod management has been divorced out of it into its own management app, but thats probably wishful logical thinking.

If you have an iPhone and iCloud it's pretty easy to break the bond. My music is all iTunes match. No more syncing there. My contacts, email and calendar are all in the cloud. No syncing there. My photos are synced with iPhoto and occur automagically with photo stream.

So, even with an iPod, the only thing you should have to sync with is for music. But if you're on iTunes match, you can just download what music you want when you're on wifi, so there's no need even for that.

So, maybe for movies? Are people really syncing movies to their iPod and iPhone? Rentals are downloaded and streamed. for iPhone.

What are people plugging in for?

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
I'm curious about the iCloud integration they reference. "Start playing a movie on one device and pick it up on another". Will the movies I bought through iTunes show up in the new iTunes without me having to have a physical copy on my HDD? Are these just streamed on my Mac like they are on my Apple TV?

Not very clear, but that would be nice to free up some space.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I know there are iTunes haters but I consider myself someone who uses many of the deeper features on a daily basis. Album view was unveiled years ago and I've never used it since. I hope they don't use this 'new look' as a smokescreen for reduced functionality.

For example, QuickTime 7 -> QuickTime X.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
iTunes is like 10 years old. Are you seriously freaking out because 10 year old software was updated?

This was no ordinary update. This is the beginning of the end. Everything is going to be swipe-swipe-swipe... iThis iThat from now on.... I'd be surprised if a Mac will be able to edit video professionally five years from now.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Not happy at all with the way they've made iTunes like the iPad app, where browsing by artist is done by a grid of album art squares. It's so clumsy compared to a nice list where you can just scroll down by name. I really hope the standard column browser is still included otherwise I'll just hold on to the current version.

The list is still available, it's shown in some pictures from the keynote.

We all have 4gb - 8gb of ram. It doesn't hog memory.

No we don't, and like hell it doesn't.

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
This was no ordinary update. This is the beginning of the end. Everything is going to be swipe-swipe-swipe... iThis iThat from now on.... I'd be surprised if a Mac will be able to edit video professionally five years from now.

I'll let you in on a little secret...

iTunes has become a complete joke of a software application. It is an antiquated, bloated mess and was badly in need of updating. iTunes is literally the worst thing Apple is associated with. It's even worse than their earbuds.

Trying to improve the absolute worst thing they provide is a good thing. It was in desperate need of a redesign.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Just visited the page. It's still offered as 10.6.3 but the file details say 10.7.0.21. Will post back if the installed version isn't 10.7. (Windows 7 x64).

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
If you have an iPhone and iCloud it's pretty easy to break the bond. My music is all iTunes match. No more syncing there. My contacts, email and calendar are all in the cloud. No syncing there. My photos are synced with iPhoto and occur automagically with photo stream.

So, even with an iPod, the only thing you should have to sync with is for music. But if you're on iTunes match, you can just download what music you want when you're on wifi, so there's no need even for that.

So, maybe for movies? Are people really syncing movies to their iPod and iPhone? Rentals are downloaded and streamed. for iPhone.

What are people plugging in for?

I am plugging in to keep my phone up to date, to sync music, photos, notes, etc.

I care not for all this cloud business, and I despise it with every ounce of my being.

I only hope that we're never forced into using it and that we can continue being normal people if we want who (god forbid) plug in our devices (alas, how inconvenient!) to transfer information between our devices, rather than relying on a useless and unreliable "cloud" syncing mechanism that people are only using because they literally didn't think twice before jumping on board.

Gahhhhh!!!!!!!! #%#*}*{*}^{%%}*{*}£<£|€\€^{^}%]^}*#*#^}^#

Awfisch

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2011
Finally good design!

I'm so happy to see a clean and simple UI. None of that skeuomorphism crap.

csjcsj

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Sarasota FL
Yuck yuck and more yuck. When I want to listen to music, I want my music and not be slowed down while the program tries to load thousands of album covers, most of which aren't available. I'm sure the design works nicely for the people who have ten albums, but it is awful ...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
iTunes is literally the worst thing Apple is associated with. It's even worse than their earbuds.

I'd argue that the music player app on iPad is far worse than iTunes. And it's hard to tell much from the screenshots they put up, but there's always the possibility they made iTunes more like that.

I would have said that trying to improve the bad music player in iOS 4 was a good thing...until I saw the one in iOS 5 where somehow they did make it worse.

Honestly I don't care much about an interface update, I'd just like to see it rewritten and run better, how about multithreading the thing so there aren't always beachballs any time you try and do something?

What the heck? I just installed iTunes 10.7 the UI is still the same..

Because it is the same. The new UI is version 11 and ships in October. Like it says in the article.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Ughhh...... noo!!! Why!??? I like the classic iTunes layout just fine thank you very much. Apple is digging themselves into a grave through their obsession with constantly changing things.

We'll be able to have the list view for now, but down the road it won't be an option anymore.

You've had the last decade to enjoy the dated layout. Some things need refreshed. Were you as upset when system 7 got ditched for OS X?

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
I am plugging in to keep my phone up to date, to sync music, photos, notes, etc.

I care not for all this cloud business, and I despise it with every ounce of my being.

I only hope that we're never forced into using it and that we can continue being normal people if we want who (god forbid) plug in our devices (alas, how inconvenient!) to transfer information between our devices, rather than relying on a useless and unreliable "cloud" syncing mechanism that people are only using because they literally didn't think twice before jumping on board.

Gahhhhh!!!!!!!! #%#*}*{*}^{%%}*{*}£<£|€\€^{^}%]^}*#*#^}^#

I actually kind of agree with you, but I wanted to point out that you CAN sync wirelessly with iTunes just like a normal sync, no cable required, no icloud required. Settings > General > iTunes Wi-Fi Sync. Needs to be enabled in iTunes first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.