Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the highlighted features of the iPhone 5 during today's media event was a new Panorama mode for stitching together multiple photos to create a single large panoramic image up to 28 megapixels in size. As rumored yesterday, the feature is also included on the new fifth-generation iPod touch.

iphone_5_4s_panorama.jpg

iSight camera specs for iPhone 5 (left) and iPhone 4S (right)
According to Apple's iPhone model comparison page, iPhone 4S users will not be left out of this feature addition, with the spec comparison listing "Panorama" as one of the features of the iSight camera on both the iPhone 4S and 5. The feature will not be available with the lower-quality rear camera found on the iPhone 4.

Update 1:58 PM: The iOS 6 golden master released to developers today does indeed enable Panorama mode on the iPhone 4S.

iphone_ios_6_panorama.jpg

(Thanks, Alec!)

Article Link: Panorama Photo Mode Coming to iPhone 4S with iOS 6

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
It genuinely seems the iPhone 5 didn't get anything the iPhone 4S can't do in terms of software, which seems a first.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
yep I just installed the GM and already have it sweet! Works much better then it did in the hack earlier this year.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
That's great news :D.

Edit: actually, I'd rather have the ability to take photos while recording, but that's iPhone 5 only :(. Oh well I'll just do what I usually do and pause the video then take a screenshot lol.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Awesome. Now there is no reason to upgrade. :D

Except for battery life. My wife is constantly plugging in her iPhone 4S, whereas my iPhone 4 can last for days. I'm expecting/hoping that the iPhone 5 returns to iPhone 4-like performance for battery, as that is what was the promise of the Cortex A15.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Except for battery life. My wife is constantly plugging in her iPhone 4S, whereas my iPhone 4 can last for days. I'm expecting/hoping that the iPhone 5 returns to iPhone 4-like performance for battery, as that is what was the promise of the Cortex A15.

Yes. I was going to be on the fence but the increased power of the A6 coupled with the increased battery life makes me sad my 4S needs to be plugged in.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Photosynth app does pretty good landscapes if you want the feature on pre-4S iPhones.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
It genuinely seems the iPhone 5 didn't get anything the iPhone 4S can't do in terms of software, which seems a first.

I think capturing pictures while taking video is still only iPhone 5 function and face detection in video.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Not on the iPhone 4? There can't be any reasonable excuse for that other than the fact that Apple wants us to spend money if we are going to get certain features. They're giving out iOS 6 for free to people with iPhones that are 2 generations behind, so I won't complain.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I can confirm this is working on iOS 6 GM with the iPhone 4S. Took a couple panoramas already. I dislike the displayed interface on the screen, though, the cues feel backwards to me, like they're telling me to go higher when I'm too high, or lower when I'm too low.

Oh well, it's a gimmick I doubt I will ever use.

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
Panorama on 4S with iOS6.0 is definitely there but no use to me as I already have several purchased panorama apps that have better interfaces. Too little too late Apple, unless you'll refund for the apps :D.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Hopefully that becomes the norm, until some software that actually needs awesome hardware comes along.

I think at the A5 we ended up at a plateau where more CPU speed is nice, but not really necessary for the current iOS interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.