Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010
Does anyone know if Best Buy will start preorders too? I'm tryin to see because they're offering me a $50 gift card if I upgrade through them. Enough for a case or extra cord.

I will be using this offer too. Not sure if you read the FAQ section, where it states that the gift card can be applied to buy the phone itself. That is what I plan on doing.

mark081990

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
i put my number in the ATT upgrade eligibility page and it said i can do an early upgrade for an higher price or wait till MAY 13th 2013 to for the normal upgrade price.
so i called ATT and dey said id have to pay $250 for the upgrade with $200+ for the phone nearly 500+ for the iPhone 5 smh im thinking should i wait till May and be left out or should i just eat the money and go since my birthday is Oct 21st
THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS BECAREFUL OF ATT AND THERE SO-CALLED UPGRADE ELIGIBLE PRICES
i think i should go to sprint but how much would dey charge since i might be gone too them again?
Hey Im having the same dilemma. We both must have pre-ordered the iPhone 4s on the day it came out because AT&T said the exact same thing. In my opinion it's not worth the extra $250 + $36 registration. I'm going to wait until May (and in May I probably won't even buy it because if I can wait that long than iPhone 6 is right around the corner!)

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
In the past could you have it held at a FedEx location before a delivery attempt? If so, I'll just go right away when they open instead of waiting until the 3-4pm delivery.

If its anything like UPS, they have to have a first-attempted delivery before they'll hold a package (at least in my experience). I also believe the FedEx shipments are set for delivery by 10AM.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I am wondering if they will have preorders with at-the-store pickup. Two years ago when I got my iPhone 4 I preordered and then on the morning of Launch Day went to the store and paid for and picked up my iPhone there. There were two lines: one line of preorder people and one line of people who had not preordered. Preorders got to go in first.

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
I'd rather live in CA where the weather is beautiful all year round than not pay tax on the unsubsidized price of the phone.:rolleyes:

And I'd rather live in VT, where I pay tax on my phone, have awful weather part of the year, but live in a beautiful state with government that works and an unemployment rate of around 4%. To each their own! That's why this country is great.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
It wasn't apples servers that slowed down the preorder last year it was the carriers servers. Apple has to contact AT&T,sprint, & Verizon before placing your order and I believe this is where the bottle neck is.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
I don't get what the fuss is about. iOS is very disappointing. So limiting and restrictive. Have you people seen Android Jelly Bean on the latst Samsung hardware. It puts iOS to shame and 5 years behind.

This iPhone is release has nothing new. The processor is slow compared to Samsung, the screen is small. Apple have lost their way.

I've had an iPhone for the past 4 years. This year is my last. In November my contract is up for renewal and I will be hopping to the future which is Android.

That's my 2 cents...

Bye bye. We will not miss you. Have fun in frag-men-tation Android land!

leana9101

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
If I preorder online will I be able to pick it up at an apple store? I've never done this before.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The reality of the economic situation in California is not as bad as the media makes it out to be.

I think it's worse, but my perspective is of a grad student in the UC system, which is probably more than a little skewed.

Besides, you still live in a country that acts like a college kid with 10 maxed out credit cards (and it doesn't matter who is in charge).

True, there's no escaping it to some extent.

However, this is a conversation that is completely off-topic and has nothing to do with this thread. So, that's all from me on this.
Agreed, and same.

I'm fairly certain it's the same. You could also check with AT&T on their website, that's what I did.

Yes, it's the same.

Does anyone know what the secret Apple pre-order URL will be?

Will it be here? http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

Yes.

If I preorder online will I be able to pick it up at an apple store? I've never done this before.

No, you have to ship it to your carrier's address.

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
If its anything like UPS, they have to have a first-attempted delivery before they'll hold a package (at least in my experience). I also believe the FedEx shipments are set for delivery by 10AM.

Really? I didn't order a 4S, but this was not the case in years past - the delivery was always FedEx Standard Overnight, which I think is before 3 PM in most areas (but that may only be for commercial addresses). Never received an iPhone via UPS, so I'm not sure what level of service they use.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I imagine the reason the iPhone price wasn't mentioned in the keynote is due to a price increase. The new iPods are the same price in both Canadian and US online stores, so...

They've never mentioned no commitment or unlocked prices at keynote as far as I know.

JadeWolf07

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Hey, does anyone know how exactly to go about buying a Verizon iPhone 5, and adding it to my family plan, keeping the number/transferring from my AT&T iPhone 4? My friend is going to preorder for me, but I need to explain to him what to do.

Thanks!

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Can anyone from experience tell me if I can preorder from Apple.com even if I am not fully eligible for a subsidized price?
I understand there is a $250 early upgrade fee :mad: but if I am willing to pay for that, will I have a problem preordering at 12:01 on Friday from Apple.com? Thanks.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Oh my god, the processor is slow!?

I work in User Experience for a living. I own a Galaxy Nexus, a Lumia (WP7) and I've owned every iPhone. It's interesting to see the differences between the different phones, but I choose iPhone every time because of it's exceptional experience (which of course because of app selection, extends beyond how the OS itself works). I usually lend the other phones to friends, and they've all returned them to me and bought an iPhone instead.

Windows Phone 7 is very interesting, and has an instant appeal that wares off very quickly.

Android on the other hand, always feels lacking. It's not nearly as responsive, it's app selection is terrible, and it's not nearly as user friendly. You might immediately respond to that and say you aren't a beginner, and that's fine with you, but give it a go for a few months, and see how you feel. There's some pro's for sure, but the cons always outweigh them.

As has always been the case, Apple products will be the Mercedes or BMW, and Android will always be the Toyota/Ford. Nothing really wrong with that, but if you want an attention to detail like no other, and exceptionally designed experiences, that's going to be Apple. At least for the time being.

I don't get what the fuss is about. iOS is very disappointing. So limiting and restrictive. Have you people seen Android Jelly Bean on the latst Samsung hardware. It puts iOS to shame and 5 years behind.

This iPhone is release has nothing new. The processor is slow compared to Samsung, the screen is small. Apple have lost their way.

I've had an iPhone for the past 4 years. This year is my last. In November my contract is up for renewal and I will be hopping to the future which is Android.

That's my 2 cents...

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan

That's my 2 cents...

too bad JB runs on only a couple phones.

christf10

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Rockland County, NY
Hey, does anyone know how exactly to go about buying a Verizon iPhone 5, and adding it to my family plan, keeping the number/transferring from my AT&T iPhone 4? My friend is going to preorder for me, but I need to explain to him what to do.

Thanks!

I called Verizon today. My wife is already on Verizon and I am out of contract on AT&T. I already moved my wife to a shared plan and they said that it would be easier to preorder from vzw.com vs apple.com but either is fine. I will see prompts to port my number and be added to existing acct. I am torn as to how I want to order. She told me over the phone that the date the phone will ship is 9/21 and no sooner. I feel they say that every year though. I have never preorder an iPhone for delivery, I have always been on line at launch day.

Anyone have an opinion as to apple vs a carrier for preorder. Is there a better chance of getting phone early/ontime from one vs another?

iMike208

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
Just thought I'd confirm. I just did a chat with at&t to inquire about ordering 2 phones on 2 different accounts. (answer: she said yes, but I don't think she understood the question. Update: when she finally understood she said I'd have to log in separately to order my wife a phone. Yes, I like asking dumb questions on customer service chat sessions)

My long winded point is, she did confirm that the pre-order for AT&T starts at 12:01am Pacific time as well. Thought I'd share. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.