Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has added the web versions of Reminders and Notes to the public iCloud.com website for access from desktop Macs and PCs. These web apps have been live for developers in beta for several months.

Notification-Center.png

Notes is a fairly faithful reproduction of the skeuomorphic notepad on the iPhone. Users can create, edit, and delete notes, with updates reflecting on iOS devices in near-real time. Reminders works the same way.

The iCloud website has been updated in time for the iPhone preorder launch tomorrow, as well as the release of iOS 6 for all iOS users next Wednesday.

Article Link: Web Versions of Notes and Reminders Go Live on iCloud.com

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I still cannot believe how fast and fluid these web apps are. I usually don't expect this from websites unfortunately :/

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
i thought notes in the web app was never coming back!

now i don't need to sync notes with my gmail account anymore.

a heads up woulda been nice :-/ i was pissed when notes was removed from the mail webapp.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Notes is a fairly faithful reproduction of the skeuomorphic notepad on the iPhone.

I managed to make it fifty years without ever having to need the word skeuomorphic. Now I find it in news articles almost everyday. I better start using it or I'll fall out of fashion.

OK here goes...

Two guys and a skeuomorphic walk into a bar last week and the bartender says "Get the @#@@ out of here"

Not bad for a first try.

You should really read this:

4 Skeuomorphs in Evolutionary Computing

Evolutionary computing is now used as an umbrella term to cover more specific variations such as evolutionary programming, genetic algorithms, and genetic programming, as well as others. I have gone through the foregoing critique of skeuomorphs, because it is clear that they play a large role in the way we constitute our practice. We have learning systems based upon neural nets, which to some extent model neurons. We have evolutionary systems based upon genetic algorithms and genetic programming, which to some extent model genetics. We have evolving cultural systems based upon a hybrid of genetics and shared memory. Failing a comprehensive theory explaining why these systems should operate in silicon in the same way as they do in carbon, we have a mixed metaphor, a scrambled skeuomorphic system par excellence.

If we had wanted to develop reliable models of real neurons, we might have gone in the direction of Gerald Edelman's neuronal group selection. If we had wanted to develop reliable models of genotype-phenotype interaction, we might have gone in the direction of protein folding. However, for our purposes, we want general working models of wider application, or failing that at least clear sets of models more suited to one purpose than another. At this juncture we are more interested in optimization than in simulation.

In the branch of evolutionary computation specifically interested in general problem solving and optimization, it is not clear why we have embraced the precise evolutionary models we currently use. We seem to be of two minds, simultaneously exploring biological processes for ideas and then extending them in non-biological realms. Genetic algorithms have been a successful hybrid of biology and machine. Moreover, they conjure up the cachet of being founded on real biology. David Fogel has repeatedly made the case that the phenotypic algorithms of evolutionary programming may be more effective than genetic algorithms for certain problem classes, even though the former lack the hallmark of biological fidelity [4]. After all, why should biological fidelity be an issue in a non-biological, silicon world? This push and pull between real biology and fanciful experiment is a healthy dynamic, since by challenging the universality of processes taking place in carbon-based life, we explore not only that which is unique about natural life, but concurrently the space of possibilities in artificial life occupied by evolutionary computation. Our agent populations already deviate quite markedly from normative (human) behaviors: they are sexual hermaphrodites. They transcend great distances on fitness landscapes to mate with others of similar accomplishment and to spawn descendants in places neither parent has visited. It is refreshing to see further bendings of the rules, like the comedic seriousness with which Gusz Eiben [5] has experimented with agent "orgiastic" sexual recombination. By this he meant sexual recombination from more than two parents. In humans this will likely be among the first kinds of gene therapy practiced. Diseases inherited from mitochondrial DNA may be obviated by replacing the cytoplasm of the "contaminated" egg with that from another mother or by transplanting the nucleus to a second mother's egg. The result would be three genetic parents: two mothers and one father. The natural world should be mined for ideas and inspirations, but these need to be tested in the artificial worlds in which we work because they offer different constraints and possibilities.

Last edited:

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
I just don't understand Apple. All the icons are consistent between iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, and iCloud but they decided to revamp the icons on iPod nano. It just does not make logical sense. It just really bugs me not understanding why they did it!!! :mad:

Attachments

• screenshot-15.jpeg
    screenshot-15.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 2,866

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Why the heck does it require an icloud.com email address? I'd rather use it with my zorin.org address which I use for.. well, EVERYTHING ELSE in iCloud.

What makes Notes special?

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Isn't iCloud.com technically skeuomorphic, transplanting and mimicking the experience from a physical device (iPad) into a scenario which doesn't really need it, purely for the purposes of familiarization?

Since iPad's Calendar and Notes themselves are skeuomorphic, we appear to have skeuomorph-ception.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Although it's useless for me, I love the Mail web app. It's just like in Mac OS except for iCloud only, and you can even have multiple addresses, which is one of the main reasons I use AOL mail instead of Gmail for my "semi-junk" accounts.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
ESPECIALLY iMessage for all the poor PC users</3

P.S. just as I was typing this, my comma key popped off. not kidding.

Not just Windows users... Only Mountain Lion can use iMessage. Yeah, Apple is doing a great job of doing the opposite of promoting their messaging service. Lion and Snow Leopard can't use it.

DamonBowser

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
I just don't understand Apple. All the icons are consistent between iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, and iCloud but they decided to revamp the icons on iPod nano. It just does not make logical sense. It just really bugs me not understanding why they did it!!! :mad:

Your implying that they completely re did the icons and they are all so different now. Wrong, instead of rounded squares there in circle. Big woop. Yeah sure they looks worse, but don't go and try to say they redesigned the whole "app" look

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I tried sending an email to my @me.com email except with @icloud.com at the end, and it didn't go thru.

Are you guys sure the email works?

I can log into iCloud.com with an @icloud.com email tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.