Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdtoomey

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
I don't get it. My contract is up and I'm eligible for an upgrade, but it looks like there is no real discount on the phone.

Are you serious?!?! Do you not know how much the device is at no commitment pricing?! To order the device from apple or any carrier without a contract, it will cost you 649.99. !!!!

AppleMacDudeG4

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Sprint will welcome your back stabbed customers ATT

I really love the way that ATT wants to lose their customers and have them go to Sprint. Did the idiots at ATT not realize that Sprint has unlimited everything for $110. I hope a lot of people get fed up with ATT's wanting to run a meter on you and making you slower so that people tell ATT to take a hike and get Sprint.

ATT is run by people who think that their customers are idiots and will remain loyal no matter what. My contract expired with them on September 3 so I dumped them and got Sprint with the unlimited plan.

ATT has forgotten the adage that the customer comes first. Instead, ATT just wants money and they do not care at all about customer satisfaction.

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada
I was on the AT&T "unlimited" plan for a long time. I really thought they would have to force me off it because I wasn't going to budge. I am on my iPhone 4 a lot with browsing, emails, FB etc. Same with my iPad. However I also try to hookup to a WiFi source wherever I could. That being said, I did a 6 month data analysis for the three devices on my plan. Monthly average; 1.15 gb. I was paying about $220/mo. I went to the dark side and went with the 6gb data share plan. Even with 4g (no LTE yet, some decade) I don't think I will break 2. I am now at $170 out the door. $50/mo savings. It is true, every man has his price.

Solarioc

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2012
4g is coming to PDX

Hmmmm....I was all geared up to switch to verizon thinking I was going to have to change to a more expensive plan on ATT.

2 iPhones on verizon sharing 4GB of data would be $150+tax plus you get the mobile hotspot included. Also includes unlimited voice and texting. Verizon shows LTE coverage all over portland, oR.

Right now I pay $115 w/ my work 18% discount including taxes on ATT with 2 iPhones, unlimited data, 700 shared minutes which we never use, but no unlimited texting and no mobile hotspot . But data speeds are horrible at my work on ATT, like dial up speeds, but is it worth spending another $50 a month on verizon? No LTE service up here in Portland either on ATT...hmmmm

Att is launching there 4g network in portland and the lower vancouver area within a few months (by january 2013)

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Verizon still KEEPS unlimited data and allows LTE...

Verizon does allow those who are on unlimited plans to keep them, but they still throttle - just in a different way from AT&T.

Verizon throttles when a particular tower is swamped with usage from unlimited users. AT&T throttles when you hit 5GB on LTE, period.

Tuck

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
I'm suing the bastards

I have been averaging 6GB/month for a while since SiriusXM started streaming at 128KBps. It has never been a problem until last month, where my phone started becoming unusable at the 3GB download mark.
I called customer support, and they did a supposed "reset" (no mention of caps) which worked for 24 hours. I called again, took the rep a good 20 minutes to verify that yes, I was being throttled.
I tried to explain that when you consistently get a speed of "0.00" reported by speedtest, it's not throttling, it's NO DATA. After an hour of getting transferred and going nowhere, I figured out that my only course of action is a complaint to the PUC, the FCC, and then sue them in small claims court. Well worth the $35.
At this point, I'm done with them and I'm switching to SimpleMobile. The only sucky part is that I'll have to get an Android phone to get 3G, but I'm going to end up paying $50/month instead of $100 for better service.
**** you AT&T, you will NEVER, EVER, EVER have me as a customer again for as long as I live.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
I see a lot about Mobile Share being required for FaceTime over LTE, but does anyone know if Apple is allowing AT&T to restrict tethering to non-unlimited customers as before? I haven't seen mention of it anywhere and since Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile all (I think) allow you to tether with your unlimited plan if you still have it it seems like it might be possible AT&T would also?

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Verizon still KEEPS unlimited data and allows LTE...

Yes, but you have to pay for your phone outright (so you get no benefit of a contract, and you don't pay a cheaper monthly fee for not having a contract so in essence you are paying more for your service) and since you have no contract with Verizon (the only benefit of buying your phone outright and I'm about to point out where it also is a drawback), Verizon can at any time decide not to offer unlimited at all (even though you already agreed to pay for your phone in full). So they may let you keep that unlimited a few months and then decide they are not offering it at all. You don't have a contract so you really can't say anything. So now you've bought that phone outright to keep a plan that you no longer have...

I'm not sure why people are giving Verizon a pass on this and giving AT&T crap over them not changing the terms for unlimited customers, just adding a perk that the unlimited customers never had before anyways (and probably most wouldn't even use that much, they're just upset over principle). At least AT&T is allowing people to grandfather unlimited, get subsidized phones, and lock those terms in for 2 years so they know for at least two years they'll still have that same plan (and yes, this does mean they are locked with AT&T but if you have unlimited you've been with them long enough to know if you like their service or not. I know I've never had issues the 10 years I've been with them so I'd rather get paid to just stay with them with a phone subsidy than worry about not being locked in).

----------

I really love the way that ATT wants to lose their customers and have them go to Sprint. Did the idiots at ATT not realize that Sprint has unlimited everything for $110. I hope a lot of people get fed up with ATT's wanting to run a meter on you and making you slower so that people tell ATT to take a hike and get Sprint.

ATT is run by people who think that their customers are idiots and will remain loyal no matter what. My contract expired with them on September 3 so I dumped them and got Sprint with the unlimited plan.

ATT has forgotten the adage that the customer comes first. Instead, ATT just wants money and they do not care at all about customer satisfaction.

Um, me and my roommate with AT&T's grandfathered unlimited are paying a little less than 110 dollars for both our phones. which works out to be 50 something dollars each (and this includes the taxes they don't quote you when they tell you your plan costs).

AT&T for me is far cheaper than that 110 dollars Sprint wants to charge.

And oh yeah, Sprint is right out for me. I already have experienced how crappy their coverage is. Never again.

shebubby

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
I have the non-smartphone Samsung Eternity with unlimited data plan (I believe it uses 3g)... will I be eligible for the grandfathered $30 unlimited data plan if I upgrade to an iPhone 5?

(Confused if this grandfathered plan works with people who stuck to their oldschool 3g non-smartphones who has been waiting for the iPhone 5 upgrade... :confused:)

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I have the non-smartphone Samsung Eternity with unlimited data plan (I believe it uses 3g)... will I be eligible for the grandfathered $30 unlimited data plan if I upgrade to an iPhone 5?

(Confused if this grandfathered plan works with people who stuck to their oldschool 3g non-smartphones who has been waiting for the iPhone 5 upgrade... :confused:)

If you already have unlimited data, you can keep it. If not, then you cannot get on a plan that has unlimited data.

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
In South FL it's so flat that signal is great for all carriers everywhere. ATT LTE is very strong in Boca Raton and Fort Lauderdale area. It's very fast and get an average 20Mbps down.

I have no reason to switch because I pay $130 a month for 2 iPhones "unlimited" data unlimited text and 550 shared family plan (I have over 2K carry over mins). This does include a 20% fan discount from my alumni association.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

If it was not a smartphone, unfortunately no. It had to be a smartphone plan (they had different ones for "dumbphones" <- sorry, not sure what else to call them to differentiate).

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Straight Talk... read the small print

From their Terms of Service:

"6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store."

Seems to me they can contractually cut you off if you use many/all of the apps on an iPhone that use data.

Anybody had that problem?

----------

For those that have asked, the tethering/hotspot feature will NOT be enabled on the iPhone 5 for those users on the grandfathered unlimited plan.

And yes, I expect you'll be able to jailbreak in due course etc. etc.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
must be a sign of how bad its gotten, but being allowed to use 5 GB of my "unlimited" plan on a new phone gets me hyped.

You must not have ever really read the terms, because at no time did they promise you any particular speed. In fact you agreed to ATT having the right to throttle your speed at any time.

----------

People hate AT&T over this, but I don't see screams over Verizon forcing people to give up unlimited.

Folks aren't screaming because of how Verizon is doing it. Getting a new subsidy is signing a new contract and Verizon is cutting unlimited for all new contracts. If you want to keep your unlimited you don't resign a contract, you don't get a subsidy etc. It's not tied to a particular service or feature but is feature neutral.

----------

"Additionally, unlike Verizon, which is no longer offering unlimited data customers discounted pricing on new handsets -- even with a new, two-year contract -- AT&T will honor its subsidized pricing policies even for its customers with unlimited data plans."

Would someone interpret this for me?

Does this mean that ATT will waive prior two year commitment on upgrade?

Verizon has stopped grandfathering. If you get a subsidy you will be changing your plan. You want to keep the plan, pay full price (cause then you aren't signing a new 2yr contract).

ATT has said they will still grandfather AND let you get the subsidy pricing, but no tethering and no facetime over 3G

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Just wanted to add that, like many, being allowed to keep my unlimited data plan is what kept me with AT&T for yet another contract. Had they not, I would have left to Verizon or Sprint for a change.
I am not a fan of the shared plans since I would not be using multiple devices. It just doesn't make sense for me, and I'd be worse off than before.

So, by allowing me to keep my unlimited data plan, it kept me as a customer. Nice and good job on that AT&T.

smokeater

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Two iPhones Unlimited Family Talk, Unlimited Text, Unlimited data on 1 phone and 2 gb on the second (average total data useage - 4gb) = $220 per month

New plan with 6gm data, unlimited talk and text would get me to $160 per month or $60 savings per month or $720 per year...

Someone explain how this is a no brainer?

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
It was advertised as Unlimited 3g data, T&C or not

----------

Two iPhones Unlimited Family Talk, Unlimited Text, Unlimited data on 1 phone and 2 gb on the second (average total data useage - 4gb) = $220 per month

New plan with 6gm data, unlimited talk and text would get me to $160 per month or $60 savings per month or $720 per year...

Someone explain how this is a no brainer?

Its not a no brainer, for you it may well no longer be worth keeping the faux unlimited plan, do the math and see. Your "unlimited plan" has a 5gb cap before throttling, and it looks like the new plan you are talking about is 6gigs total shared for two lines, which is barely higher than what you get with your grandfathered line by itself ( assuming an LTE device), still though, its possible that it makes sense for you to give it up, they want it to work out that way.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
You must not have ever really read the terms, because at no time did they promise you any particular speed.

Well, they promised unlimited but put limitations in the contract....which should be illegal in itself since the definition of "unlimited" is not what the contract actually gives.

Why some continue to try and draw differences between unlimited and speeds and amounts....is laughable.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
You must not have ever really read the terms, because at no time did they promise you any particular speed. In fact you agreed to ATT having the right to throttle your speed at any time.

OK. But if you want to defend AT&T's contract verbiage you cannot defend their outright misleading marketing. If you advertise a plan that is "unlimited", but then hide all kinds of loopholes in your service agreement, that is misleading at best (refer to quoted post below).

AT&T did screw themselves by offering unlimited plans with no foresight of how much data/bandwidth they were really committing to. The passive-agressive way they are handling it is horrendous. Just end the grandfathering...simple as that. Until they do that though, they should be honoring what they originally advertised: an unlimited data plan. Period.

Well, they promised unlimited but put limitations in the contract....which should be illegal in itself since the definition of "unlimited" is not what the contract actually gives.

Why some continue to try and draw differences between unlimited and speeds and amounts....is laughable.

Exactly.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
For a single line in the USA it's expensive. However we have 4 lines with at&t in a family plan each with unlimited LTE, unlimited text, 700 minutes, mobile to any mobile. I pay $175 for ALL lines before taxes. So that equals $43.75/line. Family plans are MUCH better pricing compared to single lines.

essay2u

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
I was on the AT&T "unlimited" plan for a long time. I really thought they would have to force me off it because I wasn't going to budge. I am on my iPhone 4 a lot with browsing, emails, FB etc. Same with my iPad. However I also try to hookup to a WiFi source wherever I could. That being said, I did a 6 month data analysis for the three devices on my plan. Monthly average; 1.15 gb. I was paying about $220/mo. I went to the dark side and went with the 6gb data share plan. Even with 4g (no LTE yet, some decade) I don't think I will break 2. I am now at $170 out the door. $50/mo savings. It is true, every man has his price.

This just happened to me. I never thought that I would give up unlimited. Until I did. I never even hit a GB on my phone so I figured why not so the shared data for multiple devices? I'm still wondering if the other shoe is gonna fall...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.