Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
A little off topic but this is a counter to the argument that cell phone bills are high because the US is so large. Why shouldn't people who live in cities and high population density areas (a majority of Americans) pay less for their data than people who lives in the boonies? After all, the cost/benefit ratio is low. Carriers can build less towers to service everyone. If we have to deal with horrible overcrowded schools, traffic jams, and urban violence, why can't we get the perks of living in a high population area?
And sorry if you live in the boonies and have to pay more. At least you have the open space and clean air.

The cities make up for the boonies. The people in the boonies would never be able to cover the costs alone. The whole thing is balanced.

Ohh, and the people in the boonies don't use data and their phones quite the same either.

Last edited:

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I'll be very interested to see what the speeds turn out to be once you hit the throttling threshold. Will you fall all the way back to GPRS-type speeds (as sometimes has been reported to happen currently when your 3G service is throttled)?

Or would it be something that is still capable of performing a reasonable minimal set useful tasks?

Throttling back to something like 200Kbit/s would still allow you to check your email, load live maps for navigation purposes, check out Wikipedia, etc. On the other hand, throttling back to 56Kbit/s would make most every-day activities impractical, often to the point of being effectively useless.

Keeping it honest and real....

The whiners on this board are about unlimited speeds that allow them to stream video which can use 50-100GB+ a month if not throttled. Many also jailbreak the phone and tether laptops and other devices. (Against the End User Agreement). They are the same jokers who will complain that the network has had issues while they abuse it. Bottom line is that the plan they purchased in 2007 was not intended for the uses it is getting in 2012. The CEO of AT&T admitted they made a mistake by even offering unlimited and of course he got destroyed on this board. (HE WAS HONEST). AT&T has not ended the unlimited plan even though they legally could have at any point. Instead, they still provide the plan and just make sure the abusers are limited. By the way, the abusers are also

This is all a VERY reasonable and honest approach to the issues and learning curve AT&T went through as they partnered with Apple to change the mobility world. The 2G/3G speeds back in 2007 would barely get you to 5GB of data ever. All AT&T is doing is protecting the network for other customers and still providing what was purchased and then some.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
One foot out the door...

...I'm leaving AT&T on this round, but not because of this. I actually figured they'd make customers give up unlimited if they wanted LTE access or something like that, so kudos to AT&T for not doing that.

I recently switched my iPad 3 to Verizon and have been blown away at the LTE speeds I'm getting. It just so happens that AT&T has no or poor LTE service in all the places that matter to me. I've asked AT&T tons of times about their LTE rollout plans, and of course get the cold shoulder each time.

I'll miss the ability to talk and surf at the same time, though I admit its not something I do very often, so I think I'll be okay. For me, the tradeoff for better speeds is going to be worth it. I don't use nearly as much data as I thought either, so losing the AT&T unlimited isn't the end of the world.

Since my iPhone 4S arrived last October, my total cellular usage is 4.178 GB

If I've done the math right on the Verizon shared plan (we have 3 phones total) I think I'm going to save $25 a month. I haven't decided if I'll merge my Verizon iPad into the shared plan, or keep it on its own.

howyoudoin

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2002
Straighttalk in the USA $45/month unlimited talk/txt/data. Why anyone forks over their hard earned money to this despicable company is beyond me.

Unfortunately Straight Talk is very strict on their "unlimited data" even using too much data on one day can cause warnings and eventually get you banned from the network

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
...I'm leaving AT&T on this round, but not because of this. I actually figured they'd make customers give up unlimited if they wanted LTE access or something like that, so kudos to AT&T for not doing that.

If I've done the math right on the Verizon shared plan (we have 3 phones total) I think I'm going to save $25 a month. I haven't decided if I'll merge my Verizon iPad into the shared plan, or keep it on its own.

I'm slightly jealous. I'd leave AT&T in a heartbeat because of their bloated network in the DC area. I've done the math and Verizon shared plans are too expensive for single device users. It'd end up being about $50 more a month for me to switch to the 4GB plan. Ouch!

howyoudoin

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2002
It's more that the USA is huge. I live in Texas, and our state is bigger than France in sq km, so it costs more to set up towers all over the countryside. Plus, the US has much larger geographic differences. It costs a ton to build networks out in the Rockys....

I understand that we have a larger country, how about regional plans that we use to have back in the day for a cheaper price? No options there unfortunately so we are stuck with these. I leave my state maybe once a year but I'm paying for this "national" price

Tangoftw

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Simple answer

Don't change your unlimited plan download the app Tango which is on android and iOS and you can video chat all day no extra charge if you are on the unlimited plan

AT&T understand this. Data is data stop trying to screw your customers

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
Don't change your unlimited plan download the app Tango which is on android and iOS and you can video chat all day no extra charge if you are on the unlimited plan

AT&T understand this. Data is data stop trying to screw your customers

There will always be a jailbreak app to trick the phone into thing its on wifi. The FaceTime over 3g debate is pretty moot to me.
I was bummed to learn that the iphone 5 only does VoLTE(hd phone audio) on GSM and ATT is nowhere near ready to roll that out. Its going to be a killer feature on Verizon coming very soon but not going to work on the iphone 5.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Jailbreak = get the most out of your iOS products! No jailbreak available you say? - well then I'm not interested in the iOS product at this point. Facetime over cellular is old news!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
It's more that the USA is huge. I live in Texas, and our state is bigger than France in sq km, so it costs more to set up towers all over the countryside. Plus, the US has much larger geographic differences. It costs a ton to build networks out in the Rockys....

That would wash if it weren't for the fact that the telecom and wireless companies hadn't been given grants and other financial relief by the duped US Tax Payers so that those companies can provide better service to American Citizens. (Or what has happened: better benefits to the management teams at those companies. Daddy wants a new G6!)

We, the US tax payer, have paid over and over again for fiber to our homes, gigabit internet service, low cost telephone service, and internet service to 'all', and each time, after getting the money, the companies welch on the deal, and the geniuses in DC let them keep the money! Some comes back to the politicians as contributions (bribes), but most just disappears...

In France, and other 'European' countries, they actually get what they pay for. I've heard of high gigabit fiber in Sweden to most homes for half what most of us pay for basic cable. It's disgusting... It's 'American capitalism'...

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
If only Sprint merged with T-Mobile and all the other local/small carriers, would they have a decent, usable network. Then AT&T and VZ would be forced to lower their rates or provide more value for it.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
No you'll use more data. You'll end up browsing more because you'll have more time to do it since you won't spend as much time waiting for pages to load. (But to be fair, browsing doesn't eat up as much data as streaming videos, which you can't consume faster.)

Actually, videos will probably take up more bandwidth because the lte will make it default to a higher quality. For example, using YouTube on 3G would not auto play an HD video, but over lte it is HD and requires more bandwidth, uses more data.
Source: owning an iPad lte for half a year.

unkle77

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2008
PDX, Oregon
Good move ATT, keeps my bill sub-100$ with unlim data. Otherwise I'd move to Verizon and be stuck with a larger bill but better service... I can deal :)

cajigasjd

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
my yearly upgrade....

Why is AT&T not allowing me to have yearly update like Ive had since the original iphone? :mad:

repoman27

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
Keeping it honest and real....

The whiners on this board are about unlimited speeds that allow them to stream video which can use 50-100GB+ a month if not throttled. Many also jailbreak the phone and tether laptops and other devices. (Against the End User Agreement). They are the same jokers who will complain that the network has had issues while they abuse it. Bottom line is that the plan they purchased in 2007 was not intended for the uses it is getting in 2012. The CEO of AT&T admitted they made a mistake by even offering unlimited and of course he got destroyed on this board. (HE WAS HONEST). AT&T has not ended the unlimited plan even though they legally could have at any point. Instead, they still provide the plan and just make sure the abusers are limited. By the way, the abusers are also

This is all a VERY reasonable and honest approach to the issues and learning curve AT&T went through as they partnered with Apple to change the mobility world. The 2G/3G speeds back in 2007 would barely get you to 5GB of data ever. All AT&T is doing is protecting the network for other customers and still providing what was purchased and then some.

Your belief that what AT&T is doing is an "honest approach" merely illustrates how deceitful they are being. They create caps in GB to take advantage of the general public's lack of understanding of how the network works. They are now effectively lowering their cap in terms of network access for some unlimited customers but using a larger GB number to make people believe they are getting something better.

What if voice plans were capped in terms of kilo-words instead of minutes? Busta Rhymes pays the same amount per month as Teller, and while Teller never goes over his cap, Busta only gets to use his phone for 15 minutes...

While the backhaul does need to be upgraded to accommodate higher data volumes, the real issue for cellular networks is how many concurrent wireless connections they can support. This becomes much more of a time division issue than an aggregate data throughput issue. The problem is the volume of subscribers trying to connect to a tower at a given time, not their respective link rates.

All AT&T is trying to do is corral people into capped plans so they can charge overages and increase their revenue beyond the minimum value of the original contract.

I hate US carriers as much as anyone... but for an explanation you just have to look at the population density and the sq. milage of each country to see a pretty big reason why.

The population density argument has some counter-intuitive corollaries though. Verizon is tanking its DSL services and discontinuing FIOS rollout in most areas with lower population density. This is a calculated move because it is cheaper to roll out LTE rather than fiber in these areas, and they can lure their existing DSL customers to switch to LTE with much higher advertised data rates, and get them to agree to a capped data plan at the same time. (The all-you-can-eat model doesn't fail for these companies due to abuse by the customers, it fails due to lack of ways to increase revenue after the initial contract is signed.)

It is also easier to get permission to build out in rural areas as opposed to cities. Which brings us to probably the biggest reason for the difference in pricing between countries: each one has radically different degrees of government regulation and subsidy.

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL
Unfortunately Straight Talk is very strict on their "unlimited data" even using too much data on one day can cause warnings and eventually get you banned from the network

It's still half the price for the same damn network. Includes talk/text/data. Been with them for a while, have yet to receive any warning. And I'm not a lite user.

Like I said, some people just love to piss their hard earned money away. People are spending hundreds and hundreds of $ a month to update their damn status.

Last edited:

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I raised your hand if you only used FaceTime the 1st week of having your new iPhone and then never used it again? **raises hand**

we use it to see the nieces. But only at home, not on the road. So Facetime OTA is irrelevant to us.

----------

Why is AT&T not allowing me to have yearly update like Ive had since the original iphone? :mad:

They didn't always do that - there was one year where there was an issue and they allowed it, and then maybe the next year they stuck with it because people expected it. But really it's a 2-year contract that they are under no obligation to let you upgrade early on.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
I switched both unlimited iPhones to shared data, along with a 3rd iPhone and an iPad... saved almost $100/month. That's ~$1200 a year! None of us have ever used more than 1GB of data/month, I don't see the point of paying $30 x 4 every month. I have the 10GB shared plan and it should be more than plenty (I hope).

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Last time I checked there was an asterix on their unlimited plans too.

Sprint seems to be the only one with truly unlimited. Not sure how their LTE coverage is.

Kinda hurts to pay AT&T for two years 5k for two lines. ;(

Well the asterisk on T-Mobile's Nationwide Unlimited is no tethering, but other than that you don't get throttled or charged extra for anything.

The 10GB and 5GB plans on T-Mobile are more expensive than the truly unlimited, but they allow tethering, and they just slow you down after your first 5/10GB.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
I am happy, however, that they're still letting grandfathered customers keep the unlimited. Even if it doesn't truly mean "unlimited" (which is a marketing term at best).

AFAIK the issue is that most "unlimited" customers don't use gratuitous bandwidth, and most don't use more than 5GB/mo; problem is there are still some out there blowing thru dozens of GB per week, chewing up considerable limited resources.

I run about 3GB/mo. Having "unlimited" is great not so much for having endless capacity at maximum rate, as not having to worry about running out. I can deal with slowing the stream beyond an unusual amount of usage; I can't deal with a complete shutoff with a "$25 to turn it back on again" message.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I switched both unlimited iPhones to shared data, along with a 3rd iPhone and an iPad... saved almost $100/month. That's ~$1200 a year! None of us have ever used more than 1GB of data/month, I don't see the point of paying $30 x 4 every month. I have the 10GB shared plan and it should be more than plenty (I hope).

werd. We'll save $30 a month on every phone by switching to that, and 4GB is more than enough for both of us even if our data usage increases.

----------

Last time I checked there was an asterix on their unlimited plans too.

Sprint seems to be the only one with truly unlimited. Not sure how their LTE coverage is.

Kinda hurts to pay AT&T for two years 5k for two lines. ;(

pretty sure Sprint's unlimited is only LTE, and then you have to hope you have service. There's always a catch, and with Sprint it is coverage.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
AT&T is a horrible, horrible company run by people who just don't get it. "Unlimited" LTE is throttled after 5GB per month!?!?! Does everyone here realize that commonly achievable, real-world LTE speeds would allow the iPhone 5 to download 5GB of data in under 16 minutes? So using the data interface of my new phone unfettered for 0.0363% of a billing period is considered "unlimited"?

AT&T needs to figure out what effing business they're actually in. All they are is a wide area wireless connection to the Internet. They should figure out how to provide that service properly for as many people as they can, and charge something sensible that still allows them to make a healthy profit.

Their 3G networks have been overburdened for years, largely due to the explosion in data usage brought on by the iPhone. The writing has been on the wall for a long time now that this trend of increasing mobile data usage is only going to continue. So they build out a brand new LTE network at massive expense, which is still underutilized in most markets, and they want to start throttling people the minute they move onto it? They should be encouraging early adoption to get people off the struggling 3G network (oh, but I guess that's 4G now too, since they rebranded it.) Caps like this on LTE are absolutely asinine, especially before the network is even close to being over-utilized.

Hey, I've got an idea, I'll start a business that sells something people use every day. Then I'll sell them enough to last them about 16 minutes, but make them wait a whole month before they can buy more. What a brilliant business plan! Oh, and while I'm at it, I'll tell my customers how they can and can't use the product they've paid for.

FU AT&T! Just sell us an unlimited data plan that's actually unlimited. Let us use it however we want. Figure out what it would cost to provide the service and charge us for it. Those who want it will pay for it. Trying to force everyone into a situation where they have the potential to pay massive overages is just scummy.

So then, how do you feel about Verizon, where you can't keep your unlimited plan without paying for the phone without a subsidy? Oh, and are forced to pay for a share plan, even if you only have one line? :rolleyes:

The fact that you can download 5GB of data in 16 minutes is moot. Most people use their smartphones to check things that require very little data. WiFi is free. Everywhere I go, there is a WiFi network.

Cellular data is not meant to replace home networks, and for obvious reasons. If everyone on AT&T had unlimited data, data speeds in major cities would be far less than EDGE speed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.